Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy Europ using credit

Options
  • 03-03-2011 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Guys

picked up a new Samsung Europa and its using credit on me for some reason. I'm on an O2 plan that gives me free texts and calls to o2 numbers, when i check my call history on line they are all marked as free but theres a bunch of ones marked as INTERNET some of them at midnight or 1am when i'm not using the phone. th eonly applicatins i have installed are adobe reader, advances task killer and text pad.

I've notoced taht googletalk starts itself occasionally even though i go in to settings - applications -manage apps and switch it off
    I've set Samsung Apps under this to be OFF.

I cant even see a way to sign out of the gmail app in case thats causing it, i used a new gmail acocunt that doesnt recieve mails so it wouldnt update and use data charges

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

My sister in law was telling me she was having the same problem last week.
    I've no solution for you though unfortunately:(
    I'll hang along in here to see if anyone does have a solution

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

o2 have no prepay data add on, if you want to get the best out of the phone and not get screwed at the same time move networks it's your only choice.

You can also go into the settings in the europa and disable data and use it only over wifi but that's a complete waste of the phones's features.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm not sure about the Europa but on any other android phone I've used you can get a widget on your homescreen to easily switch the data on and off. Only switch it on when you want to use data, otherwise keep it switched off.

On a smartphone a lot of apps will run in the background using your data, the easiest thing to do is just switch your data off instead of changing the settings for each individual app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Go into settings > mobile network setting and turn of data. Will stop your phone from using internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

i get that i will have to pay if i use the internet application but teh point is I'm not willingly using it, something is connecting and using it, probably teh gmail acocunt or something checking for updates.

you guys mention turning data off, how can i set it up to use it only over wifi? i go into settings and accounts & sync and unchecked background data, ive also disabled sync on the gmail acocunt associated with teh phone.

I've downloaded APNdroid and set that Disable all APNs and have 3G/EDGE/GPRS disabled so hopefully this helps.

• Advertisement

Lol you dont have to do all that.

You just go into the mobile network settings and toggle off data.

Then no application will be able to use data to refresh.

If you want wifi then you go into wifi and turn it on and off.

Simple.

Generally Android, iPhone, Windows Phone 7 was made with with data always on, in mind. So hence why so many apps ask for internet to resfresh and update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

when i go into settings I have the following options:

Wireless & Networks
    Call Settings
    Sound & Display
    Location & Security
    Applications
    Accounts & Sync
    Privacy
    SD Card & Storage
    Search
    Language
    Accessibility
    Text to speach
    date & time
    About Phone

under wireless and networks i have an option to turn on Airplane mode, turn on Wifi (both off) Wifi settings, Bluetooth, VPN Settings & Mobile Networks. under Mobile Network settings I have Data Roaming disabled, Use 2G only enabled

under accounts & Sync I have Background data disabled and under Manage Accounts i have the Google account unsynched. I always had it set that way and was still using credit for data usage.

Faolchu wrote: »

under wireless and networks i have an option to turn on Airplane mode, turn on Wifi (both off) Wifi settings, Bluetooth, VPN Settings & Mobile Networks. under Mobile Network settings I have Data Roaming disabled, Use 2G only enabled

2G means the frequency for mobile internet and voip or text

You have to toggle on data connection.

Im not sure is it the right name since dont have an android handset anymore but it should be in there somewhere under mobile network or networks

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

All you need to do is go to Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Network (Untick the box)

That will disable using mobile Data, you still then turn Wifi on & Off as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Is there any harm in disabling Mobile Network and leaving WiFi on all of the time?

Looking into getting one of these but like the OP I don't have a data add on in my plan.

• Advertisement

NOP there's no harm.

Advertisement