Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity.. A good deal??

• 03-03-2011 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am thinking of switching to Airtricity for electric and gas..

Anyone here notice it cheaper than ESB / Bord Gais?

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nix84

I'm afraid I can't answer on the gas bit but I'm with Bord Gais for the electricity. Two guys called to the door one night and I signed up as I'd been meaning to do it for ages anyway. It's a few months ago but as far as I recall they told me the only difference was that with BG you can pay by direct debit or at the post office (you get a percentage off the bill for paying by DD) but with Airtricity you can only pay by DD. Hope this helps a little!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Have a look through this, not all favourable reports

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055914867

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Taken into account a year to date electricity usage (incl: storage heating) it would cost me:
    - €1793 with ESB (Electric Ireland to be)
    - €1605 with Airtricity
    - €1575 with Bord Gais
    based on current rates.

But that's my case, calculate your own.
    https://www.thebigswitch.ie/savings.htm
    http://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/products/current-offers/electricity/home-electricity-saver/
    https://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/urban_nightsaver_tariff.jsp

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Switched over to them on the Dunmore Road, and finding them fairly cheap and decent. 3 people living in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

if you do switch, get the 10%+10% no contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

With Airtricity a year now, costing €65 per month(I've no storage heaters).
    Paperless billing and direct debit, no hassle changing over, I'd recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

We were with them for electricity for about two months, and they had overcharged us, because they only check the meter once a year. they only estimate your bill. So we swiftly moved to bord gais for elec.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ledger wrote: »
    We were with them for electricity for about two months, and they had overcharged us, because they only check the meter once a year. they only estimate your bill. So we swiftly moved to bord gais for elec.

They encourage you to submit your own meter readings and even give you a free meter key. All the operators do this and don't check your meter frequently. :)

Sully wrote: »
    They encourage you to submit your own meter readings and even give you a free meter key. All the operators do this and don't check your meter frequently. :)

they never offered us a key or said anything like that when we signed up.

their marketing strategy is very aggresive aswell not very convincing when you get aproached on the street when your in a rush.

they never offered us a key or said anything like that when we signed up.

their marketing strategy is very aggresive aswell not very convincing when you get aproached on the street when your in a rush.

Only recently joined so maybe things changed but an information booklet came when we joined about checking meter, getting key by emailing them etc. In fact, they also texted us before our bill was due and asked us to submit a meter reading.

The street approach is odd. Do many people really recall their bank details when out and about? I prefer the house callers, over those chaps.

• Advertisement

Only recently joined so maybe things changed but an information booklet came when we joined about checking meter, getting key by emailing them etc. In fact, they also texted us before our bill was due and asked us to submit a meter reading.

The street approach is odd. Do many people really recall their bank details when out and about? I prefer the house callers, over those chaps.

they set up a stall in new ross now and again, and the opening of it faces the path, which is narrow enough, and its also the main street in town, so you could be walking by a few times in a day. I just end up walking round the outside of it on the road it's that bad.

they set up a stall in new ross now and again, and the opening of it faces the path, which is narrow enough, and its also the main street in town, so you could be walking by a few times in a day. I just end up walking round the outside of it on the road it's that bad.

They have it in the Square in Waterford, but it easier to dodge them! Seem to have moved into City Square SC now

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭JShannow

Hey All,

Thanks for the input, I have decided to switch over and go with the non contract option as suggested!

Can leave if someone else offers a better deal at some stage that way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Im with airtricity and flo gas myself and very happy all out, was going tto mention that the ESB are deregulating next week so contract free is good option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I HATE airtricity.promised me cheaper bills!
    They are no way cheaper>

have u compared the unit cost and standing order cost over your previous tariff as opposed to what it seems to cost, should be cheaper than the ESB tariff

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

4/5 of peop-le who have switched to airtricity have done it at the door. So your talking of around 400,000 people that have handed oout there bank details at the door.

To be honest you can't really do anything with an account number or sort code unless some sort of stading order is set up:)

@Rasper- The flogas reductions are ending at the end of this month and also there standing charges are the highest out there so your not really getting the reduction they say you are getting. Just wanted to let you know:)

wasnt aware of reductions ending , although did ring them 2 months ago and told tem airtricity were cheaper coz I was with them for the lecky too and they reduced my unit charge, standing order is slightly higer but worked out approx €25PA over airtricity so relatively happy to stay with. Kinda annoyed was on a higher rate until I called them but thats buyer beware.
    Will check with them about reductions ending and will review position , thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

From next month the restrictions on ESB competing in the market end so they will be able to reduce their prices. ITs more than likely that ESB (or Electric Ireland as it will be known) will be just as cheap or even cheaper.

Advertisement