Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T -yes/no?

Options
  • 03-03-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I thought that this would be the best CPU to buy to go with my crosshair IV board but after reading the below review on tomshardware I am not sure. It will be mainly be used for gaming but I would also like to be able to see what I can get out of the chip in the setup I have. What kind of clock speed could you get this up to in a good air setup?

Would I be better off getting a x4 955 or 965 and getting it stable at 4Ghz as I see some people have been able to do?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-890fx,2613-14.html

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If its only gaming that you are doing you are much better off with a 955. Its half the price and there won't be any noticeable difference in performance.

To be honest the X6s are not worth it at the moment when you can get an i5-2500k for not much more. Theres only a few heavily threaded uses on a small budget where you'd pick one up. Certainly not for standard gaming.

Edit: My 955 is at 3.7 GHz without upping the voltage. 4GHz on air should be fine if you have a good cooler and don't get unlucky with the chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

ya thanks that was what I was thinking. just wanted someone to tell me aswell!

From what I have read the 955 is a good chip and with the right setup it can be clocked fairly high.

I dont want to always be comparing what I have to the sandybridge. Fine, it is the best out there in terms of cost/performance, but right now I am an AMD man who wants to put the best AMD build together I can!

That means an ATI card aswell. No point doing things half ass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

personally i think the 1090 to is a huge yes but i would recommend a 1100t alot more because of it's overclocking potential

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

personally i think the 1090 to is a huge yes but i would recommend a 1100t alot more because of it's overclocking potential

It gets pretty thrashed by the 2500K in almost everything

yes but hes kooking for parts for the best amd build possible
    plus sandybridge stikl isnt 100% atm anyway

• Advertisement

yes but hes kooking for parts for the best amd build possible
    plus sandybridge stikl isnt 100% atm anyway

exactly. I want the best match for my crosshair IV MB. If anyone has that board I would be interested to know what they have on it.

From what I have read it is the best MB to utilize the 6 cores of the 1100T

it is but the crosshair iv extreme edition is meant to be even better i heard but it's a hell of alot more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Oops, gotta start reading threads

anyway, www.skinflint.co.uk to find the best price in europe, they keep dropping

coming to think of it ncix already builded the ultimate amd machine called the corsair amd dream machine using the 1100T, 6970 (originally used the 6870 but replaced it when the 6970 was launched), a crosshair iv, and the corsair 600t case and alot of other corsair components.
    its somewhere on youtube.
    btw have you chose a case for this prject yet?

Well I have been trying to put this together since last October! Bit messy when the necessary funds arent there.

I bought an FT02 case back then and filled it with what I could afford at the time. Since then I have been trying to buy the parts I need to put together the system I want. And hay I am not complaining! Im enjoying it.

Whats left is the GPU and the CPU - important parts I know!

CPU is next so trying to decide now. I have a athlon x3 645 I think at the moment which is not a bad chip but not what I want to end up with!

GPU is a bit down the line - that 6990 is a bit much I think! But as you say above if I could get a 6950 and overclock it to a 6970, it would be a good setup also.

• Advertisement

Advertisement