Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Road, Letterkenny closed this morning

Options
  • 03-03-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭

I was driving down from the hospital direction to the main street this morning around 11:15 and the gardai were rerouting traffic off to the right. I noticed that there were other guards further down the road just below the SW office/tax offices.

I took the detour and came down past the barracks and from looking back up the High Road I could see quite a few Gardai around together with army chappies.

What was that all about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

I saw a few guards and the army at around 12, i thought they were just there for the delivery to the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

muffler wrote: »
    I was driving down from the hospital direction to the main street this morning around 11:15 and the gardai were rerouting traffic off to the right. I noticed that there were other guards further down the road just below the SW office/tax offices.

I took the detour and came down past the barracks and from looking back up the High Road I could see quite a few Gardai around together with army chappies.

What was that all about?

Think there was something on in the county museum for the army so I gussied may be they had a bit of marching out on the high road first.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

gavmcfad wrote: »
    I saw a few guards and the army at around 12, i thought they were just there for the delivery to the banks.
    No banks up there unless they were delivering money to the dole office but they would hardly close off the road for that though

Think there was something on in the county museum for the army so I gussied may be they had a bit of marching out on the high road first.
    That could explain it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

It was the opening of the new army exhibition in the museum. The army were marching from the market square up to the museum .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

it's all part of the 'how we remember' project. it's aimed at the history of the 28th infantry battalion. theres an exhibition at the museum which opened today, with a brilliant education programme attached to it. theres also a documentary called 'rockhill remembered' which features veterans from the 28th and the 24th inf. batallions in donegal. It will be shown regularly at the museum exhibition.

i have to admit i was involved in part of this project, but it's important to recognise the importance of the arrival of the 28th battalion to lifford, rockhill and finner in the early 1970s because a lot of the soldiers remained here and married, and they brought a lot to the local economy as well! they didn't know what they were in for when jack lynch gave the call, but they've settled in fairly well. :)

Beanstalk wrote: »
    they didn't know what they were in for
    Oh I remember them arriving in Lifford and a few of them who "acted up" certainly didnt know what they were in for when the encountered muffler and mates :D

Ah the good old days when black eyes were the fashion :)

Advertisement