Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminder question

Options
  • 03-03-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering is anyone could advise me on getting a childminder. I just need someone for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. They are in school during the day. They are aged 12 and 8..the 12 year old is fine as he is in school longer but I obviously can't allow him to watch the younger child. Am unsure of where to look and also does anyone know roughly how much this would cost me per week? Any information greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I am assuming that the hour in the morning is to drop them to school? And the hour in the afternoon is including picking them up and minding them until you get home?

My first suggestion would be that you check at their school or ask neighbours who already have children in the school and are at the school mornings and afternoons already. I currently pay 20e per day for a collection from the school and mind until I get home (so 3.5hours per day, in total).

Childminding duties like you are asking for are really about giving someone a few bob for petrol money - I'd suggest 50e max.

If you go down the road of getting a qualified minder/afterschool facility, who has to go out of her way to get to the school etc, they could charge you more as there are two kids (they could suggest an hourly rate/pick up rate etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Hi, it wouldn't even involve dropping/picking up from school as the eldest walks and the youngest gets picked up by bus so its literally a matter of waiting with him for the bus and being there when he gets dropped off. It actually works out at less that two hours but I'm just rounding it off to that! I will ask around the area as I want to get someone known to me but am totally unsure what to pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

dmm82 wrote: »
    Hi, it wouldn't even involve dropping/picking up from school as the eldest walks and the youngest gets picked up by bus so its literally a matter of waiting with him for the bus and being there when he gets dropped off. It actually works out at less that two hours but I'm just rounding it off to that! I will ask around the area as I want to get someone known to me but am totally unsure what to pay!

Ok.

Have you checked with the school if there's a breakfast club or if you could drop the youngest fella off earlier, so he doesn't have to wait for the bus for that hour?

And is there anyone coming your way after school who could drop him home and hang onto him until you get home?? Or even a friend who he could go home with closer to the school, and you could collect him on your way home?

Because of the small amount of 'care' involved really, I'd do my best to call in a few favours from other parents in the school to help you out, rather than go down the route of paying someone for that service - as it's not really a 'service' persay.

Another thought is if there's an afterschool at his school that you could allow him stay at until you can collect him???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

What about half days and sick days and school holidays?

http://www.childminding.ie/

Ir get in touch with your local child care comittee there is one in each county council area.

Advertisement