Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old is Ould?

Options
  • 03-03-2011 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thesilvervoice

We know the clichés..age is but a number, you are as old as you feel etc., etc.
    As someone who is fast approaching compulsory retirement age I can tell you that this question takes on a whole new meaning!
    Age did not matter much to me until relatively recently, when pay cuts, increased taxes and finally in January the social charge, began to impact on ability to meet my financial commitments. Had I been a few years younger, my mortgage provider may have been in a position to extend my mortgage over an extra few years, so that I could still manage the monthly repayment; with another year added to my credit union loan I would manage there too. Now options are seriously limited as in a couple of years I will have reached the end of my 'useful' shelf life and my employer will show me the door.
    The retirement pension pots of many of my friends who have worked long and hard in their own businesses, have vanished into the great lacuna that is our banking system; they cannot now foresee being able to retire but some are grateful that they have the option of working beyond their expected retirement dates, in their own shops, their own offices. As an employee I do not have this luxury and will find myself unemployed on an income of less than retirement pension rate. What prospects of employment for an ould wan in these straightened times?
    Younger people have options - study, emigration, to try working in other countries on a short term basis (as indeed I did myself , long ago). The countries that have the jobs, generally do not want people over a certain age unless they have piles of money.
    My American friends laugh at me when I talk about compulsory retirement at age 65 (in a country where the badge SENIOR is proudly worn from the ripe old age of 55) - their working lives can go on as long as they want and they physically can.
    It is a challenging time for many social groups in Ireland, and amongst those is a silent but very concerned group of older people with limited options and real fear of living in poverty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Your only as ould as you feel ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thesilvervoice

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Your only as ould as you feel ;)

Thank you . I dislike cats. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know of people employed past the age of 65, so what are the rules for this 'compulsory' retirement? (A strange and idiotic thing, given our ageing population)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My daughter tells me I am really old.

Cant wait til she hits her 30's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oryx wrote: »
    I know of people employed past the age of 65, so what are the rules for this 'compulsory' retirement? (A strange and idiotic thing, given our ageing population)

Given the demographic/public pension timebomb the west is sitting on we'll all be working till we drop, when the penny finally drops. No harm either unless you have loads of money to spend doing nothing its probably better to keep working at something or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

agree with mike. much healthier to be busy than idle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thesilvervoice

There is one rule: You must retire at age 65 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Old is always 10 years older than I am now! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you can read the op without your eyes bleeding then you're not ould.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Macros42 wrote: »
    If you can read the op without your eyes bleeding then you're not ould.

Marcro, there will be none of that in here.

thesilvervoice
    A small tip for further posting on a website, more paragraphs make it easier on the eye of the reader.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Sorry Ber - it was meant as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Old is always 10 years older than I am now! ;)

d'oh, WHY did I never think to use this!:mad:
    Thanks CT, this will stick with me forever now (well at least as long as my fading memory functions:()
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

send me an ould email when ye find out

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I didn't feel old until I lost my job a couple of years ago. Now, on the rare occasion I manage to get an interview, I'm interviewed by youngsters who probably think I'm an old fogey and past it :eek:

Ah well, maybe I should just think of this as practice for when I really DO retire!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I feel Ould when my staff and workmates tell me I am older than their dad.

They seem to delight in telling me that on a daily basis in case I forget.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

rubecula, i prescribe the Housemd box set.
    we can learn much from his derisory treatment of his staff and people in general

....well.....we can dream:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Macros42 wrote: »
    Sorry Ber - it was meant as a joke.

Ould is when you lose your sense of humour? :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Ould is when you lose your sense of humour?

I never had one. It maybe useful for you to remember that....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Most people who work beyond 65 are usually "consultants" in some shape or form. Some will look foward to the day, others will just look for another job.

I think it's harder to get insured when you're working past 65 though my grandmother did it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I never had one. It maybe useful for you to remember that....

I have one though. I can be an evil git and still laugh when I kick serious backside.

(Imagine a wicked snicker at this point.)

:pac:

Advertisement