Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011 [SPOILERS] - See Mod Post #4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Just finished today. Not a happy camper. Way too many minor characters introduced and sub plot after sub plot. It got to the point where I stopped looking up characters because it was taking forever to figure out who was who and what side they were on.

Loved the series up to AFFC now I'm not sure if I will even bother with the next one. I think its slipping away from Martin. He overcomplicated it to the point where he has so many plots he can't progress them. I would be fuming if I dropped 26 lids for this book

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Just finished. I can't decide if I liked it or not. Some twists were class but a few duds along the way. Pace has slowed and I thought the last third of the book wasn't great.
    Hope it's not going to take years for the next book.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good article here about long-running fantasy series that spun out of control from their authors. GRRM's picture is at the very top...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

This is something I've talked to friends in work about. We came to the conclusion that not a whole lot really happens in any of the books. I'm not gonna get into specifics, but every book pretty much only has one or 2 big events (he had only finished Clash of Kings at the time, I was trying to downplay the "big events" that transpire in Storm of Swords :D). But it is very true that the whole series is very slow moving. ......
    Must agree here. I was shocked at Season 1 only being 10 episodes, but they still managed to get all the relevant plot into it. S looking at this it shows how what you may think is a 'grand epic fantasy series' can be boiled down to a small number of plot lines.

Am only about 25% through it so far so far, definitely enjoying it but not a lot has happened so far except for
    where the feck did the Young Griff being Rhaegar's son plot come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Tenger wrote: »
    where the feck did the Young Griff being Rhaegar's son plot come from?

It seems fairly artificial and contrived alright, as well as
    how Tyrion figured out with no clues being given to the audience, he just pops out with it with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The hints Tyrion was working from that I can remember off-hand:
    1. Hair dyed blue - hiding Valyrian Blonde hair
    2. Travelling with a Westerosi man named "Griff" - Griffen(s) being the sigil of House Connington, Jon Connington being known to be in exile and a Targaryen loyalist
    3. Also travelling with a "Septa" and a Maester who are educating him - only the children of nobility get such attention.

Not much to go on to be fair but Tyrion is supposed to be one of the cleverest men in the books...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sleepy wrote: »
    The hints Tyrion was working from that I can remember off-hand:
    1. Hair dyed blue - hiding Valyrian Blonde hair
    2. Travelling with a Westerosi man named "Griff" - Griffen(s) being the sigil of House Connington, Jon Connington being known to be in exile and a Targaryen loyalist
    3. Also travelling with a "Septa" and a Maester who are educating him - only the children of nobility get such attention.

Not much to go on to be fair but Tyrion is supposed to be one of the cleverest men in the books...

Did
    Tyrion not play Cyvasse on the ship with the half maester lad 'for secrets' at one stage

Think you're right there...

5starpool wrote: »
    Did
    Tyrion not play Cyvasse on the ship with the half maester lad 'for secrets' at one stage

This was a plot point. He had lulled the half-maester into thinking he was ****e at cyvasse.

I can see how Tyrion could have figured it out. He is same and aware of the history of the realm he lives in. As a reader I myself was thinking this kid is well set up for a sellsword's child with his multiple languages and sword skills. However I didn't imagine that reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Thought
    he might have been Roberts son at some stage rather then a Targaryen. There surely can't be anymore heirs to the throne to come out.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    I can see how Tyrion could have figured it out. He is same and aware of the history of the realm he lives in. As a reader I myself was thinking this kid is well set up for a sellsword's child with his multiple languages and sword skills. However I didn't imagine that reveal.
    Maybe I'm forgetting something but isn't it one hell of a coincidence that he just happened to end up on the ship with
    the other Targarayen heir?
    . Also seems to be handy, via coincidence, that he just happened to
    bump into Ser Jorah
    . It's as if Tyrion, wandering around a continent, just kept bumping into the most important people. Unless I'm missing something, it seems kind of sloppy writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

ixoy wrote: »
    Maybe I'm forgetting something but isn't it one hell of a coincidence that he just happened to end up on the ship with
    the other Targarayen heir?
    . Also seems to be handy, via coincidence, that he just happened to
    bump into Ser Jorah
    . It's as if Tyrion, wandering around a continent, just kept bumping into the most important people. Unless I'm missing something, it seems kind of sloppy writing.

I dont think he just happened to end up on that ship with
    the other Targarayen heir
    , wasnt he was sent there by that rich dude who was friends with Varys? As for
    Ser Jorah
    yeah thats a bit of a stretch alright but not impossible.

JohnK wrote: »
    I dont think he just happened to end up on that ship with
    the other Targarayen heir
    , wasnt he was sent there by that rich dude who was friends with Varys?
    Yeah, Ilyrio sent him but did Ilyrio know who he was sending him to? Or was it just someone from Westeros who turned out to be something more? And if he knew, then he presumably wanted Tyrion to figure it out.

As an aside, when it comes to Season 5 of the TV show, will they get the same actor to reprise his role of Ilyrio? He's in it for one minute in the first episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Yeah, Ilyrio sent him but did Ilyrio know who he was sending him to? Or was it just someone from Westeros who turned out to be something more? And if he knew, then he presumably wanted Tyrion to figure it out.

I'd say he knew, since Illyrio and Varys are in cahoots.
    As an aside, when it comes to Season 5 of the TV show, will they get the same actor to reprise his role of Ilyrio? He's in it for one minute in the first episode.

He was in another episode, where
    Arya is chasing the cat down to where the dragon skulls are kept.

What I don't like is
    how Aegon was written in. What, Varys and Illyrio have two Targaryens on the go at the same time? Why all the time and effort with Viserys and Daenerys when they have the direct heir to the throne on hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

My reading of it was that he knew alright and had been involved with keeping him hidden and alive the whole time.
    What I don't like is
    how Aegon was written in. What, Varys and Illyrio have two Targaryens on the go at the same time? Why all the time and effort with Viserys and Daenerys when they have the direct heir to the throne on hand?
    Their best chance of a strong Targaryen ruler is to do it in the old Targaryen fashion which is inter-family marriage so they needed a male and female. My guess is they didnt think Viserys would be any good for their ends so they only kept Viserys alive as a diversion and were planning on Daenerys and Aegon the whole time. That way if anyone heard stories of a male Targaryen everyone would just assume it was Viserys

JohnK wrote: »
    My reading of it was that he knew alright and had been involved with keeping him hidden and alive the whole time.
    My thoughts too.
    However Doran Martell also alludes to a plan to marry Viserys to Arianne, perhaps then Dorne would have declared for the Targaryens? In another book someone mentioned about the Red Viper trying to 'raise Dorne for the Dragons' and how he was unsuccessful. ('Ravens flew') Could this have been Doran gauging a reaction to his plan?

I guess Varys and Illyrio were hedging their bets with 2 simultaneous plans?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What I don't like is
    The plan was for Daenerys to marry a Khal and get the weight of a Khalasar behind her return to Westeros.

That was plan A - it seems!

Dades wrote: »
    The plan was for Daenerys to marry a Khal and get the weight of a Khalasar behind her return to Westeros.

That was plan A - it seems!
    A thing that is repeated in the lore is that baby/child rulers/lords are very easy to kill off. So the cheesemonger wanted to keep the heir hidden until he was of an age to inherit properly. By focusing Robert's attention on the sister and brother combo Illyrio/Varys could channel his attempts/fears.

That would fly in the face of the idea that they were ever intended to be "together". One being effectively a decoy.

I'm not sure one needs to explain why there are
    two heirs on the go. Two escaped the rebellion, and like Luke and Leia they seperated them for safety and a plan devised for each of them!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

I'm not sure one needs to explain why there are
    two heirs on the go. Two escaped the rebellion, and like Luke and Leia they seperated them for safety and a plan devised for each of them!

Bingo. Wouldn't read more into it than that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Unbelievably, I'm still plodding through this 2 months after getting it. Granted I'd read the other books in a mad rush whilst on holiday, always better for getting the reading done. This one however is testing me - bar a few interesting events, nothing is happening.....

I'm getting this awful Robert Jordan mid-WOT feel (interminably long descriprions of things leading to pretty much nothing) at the moment, but perhaps its just my frame of mind.

I'll stick with it, but I'm not eagerly picking the thing up of an evening to hungrily devour the next chapter. Then again, I'm fairly bushed most evenings, so I could just be getting old and cranky.....

It took me 6 weeks, and while I did savour the experience I don't think it helps any large, verbose book to read it over a long period. (I had the same problem with The Passage). At least there were plenty of shock moments interspersed about it to keep one on their toes. :)

I may get the audiobook too, as it adds a whole new dimension to the story and Roy Dotrice's reading (and voicing) is phenomenal. Did it with the other 4 books.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SoTek72

Well that was very disappointing, really had to struggle in parts to keep reading.

Daenerys chapters seemed so unnecessary in parts. Really started to drag on.

Thought
    Theons chapters as reek and the Boltons in general really made the book though, he had a great character arc.

Im not sure if seven books will be enough to finish the series if this is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just finished the book their, Am I the only one seriously pissed off that GRRM feels the need to kill off so much characters, Every character ive set as my favourite one has been killed off:mad:

Nobody's dead until we read about crows pecking out the eyes from their staked heads, afaic.

There's been a few deaths that turn out to be less than permanent!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm guessing that
    the 'big' one at the end of the book
    doesn't actually die either.

Nobody's dead until we read about crows pecking out the eyes from their staked heads, afaic.
    Indeed. Even having your body smashed bloody isn't quite enough (
    If you're a Targarayen heir
    or
    Reek, Reek rhymes with meek
    ).
    Then again you can always come back zombie style too!

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm guessing that
    the 'big' one at the end of the book
    doesn't actually die either.
    I'd be amazed if
    Martin killed off Jon. Himself, Bran and Arya are the only characters in the series I'd consider to have plot-armour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So what You saying my dreams about Ned still being alive in the Dungeons could be true and it was only a supreme lookalike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hopefully :(

oe of my friends still texts me, to this day saying..... 'ned noooooooooooooo'

Advertisement