Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011 [SPOILERS] - See Mod Post #4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Where did you pre-order for €8?
    From Amazon.com here. Glad to see the e-Book price is lower than the hardback.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

can't wait. May have to reread them all though

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Kong is dead! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ixoy wrote: »

Excellent, just ordered me that. Good to see it released on the same day, not like the Wheel of Time kindle version.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

He said pretty much the same with the last book 5 years ago, so don't get your hopes up.
    Now Kong is dead my hopes are well and truly up!

Apparently Roy Dotrice has already started reading the audiobook. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Dades wrote: »
    Now Kong is dead my hopes are well and truly up!

Apparently Roy Dotrice has already started reading the audiobook. :)

Excellent .. Loved Dotrice reading the first 3 .. It was really difficult get used to the other guy doing the 4th altough it did help that many of the same characters were not used.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How much are these audio books, never listened to one, hmm.

I don't think I'd like listening to an audio book. When reading you can get a vivid picture in your head, complete with makey-up voices, etc, and that wouldn't be possible with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Cheers, I did look but didn't realise I couldn't see it due to having my account with .co.uk.

Can get them for free from the usual sources or else you can spend quite a bit of money to own them!

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    I don't think I'd like listening to an audio book. When reading you can get a vivid picture in your head, complete with makey-up voices, etc, and that wouldn't be possible with this.

Ah yeah, I wouldn't consider listening without having read it first myself.

Ah yeah, I wouldn't consider listening without having read it first myself.
    Indeed. I've listened to them as a "catch up" before the TV series and Dance with Dragons. (Very useful if you spend a lot more time walking or commuting than you get to spend reading.)

Indeed. I've listened to them as a "catch up" before the TV series and Dance with Dragons. (Very useful if you spend a lot more time walking or commuting than you get to spend reading.)

Yeah I do quote of bit of walking to work as well as been stood up on a packed train so audiobooks are fantastic as an alternative to reading. Dotrice is excellent in reading these books in particular .. really brings them to life although some of the accents he uses for characters can clash with the image you have in your head of someone.

Dotrice has a part in the TV show too I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think he was cast to play Pycelle but schedules prevented it.

He did, however, get a Guinness World Record for voicing the most characters in distinguishedly different voices for the audiobook of GOT. Someone obviously didn't tell the Guinness Officials that he'd broken his own record on Storm of Swords!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'd like to speculate on one or two things-which I'll do using spoilers in case I give away anything about the series to those who haven't read it.
    I think that John Snow will prove to be, not Ned Stark's bast8rd as has been implied, but Ned Stark's sister's (Lysenne Stark?) son. Her son by Rhaegar Targaryeon. Rhaegar had taken her and they lived togther for some weeks. Which will mean that he will be a legitimate claimant for the throne.
    I had the exact same though while starting to re-read Book 1.
    Her last words to Ned were "promise me, Ned"

@pljudge321: I realise the import of the oath to the Night's Watch and the legal staus of Jon Snow. But the lineage issue would have great impact on the history of the kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Tenger wrote: »
    I had the exact same though while starting to re-read Book 1.
    Her last words to Ned were "promise me, Ned"
    Jon wouldn't be a legitimate claimant to the throne, he's born out of wedlock presumably and he swore off all titles and inheritances when he joined the watch.

I see R + L = J has reared it's head... As to the issue of legitimacy: why else would GRRM have introduced the plot point of the Targaryen's practicing polygamy? ;)

As Rhaegar's son, Jon's claim would supercede Daenarys'

Also, Maester Aemon told of precedence for the vows of the Night's Watch to be rescindable where ascendency to the throne is at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thanks for that reminder. Ordered there.
    can't wait. May have to reread them all though

Same here, just started. Am very happy they're available on the Kindle as opposed to most older fantasy which doesn't seem to have made the transition much to my annoyance!

GRRM wrote:
    On March 12 he revealed that the unfinished manuscript had exceeded A Storm of Swords in length, making it the longest book in the entire series.[30] On March 27 he announced that the manuscript had exceeded 1600 pages.

I'm glad I've ordered this for Kindle :eek:

Big announcement for ADwD on George's "Not a Blog" today concerning a new POV character:
    Ser Barristan fans might be interested to know that he has a big part in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. In fact (drum roll, please), he becomes a viewpoint character.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    Thanks for that reminder. Ordered there.

Same here, just started. Am very happy they're available on the Kindle as opposed to most older fantasy which doesn't seem to have made the transition much to my annoyance!

I am reading them along with listening to them at the same time, quite enjoying it!

Really should try a kindle or something but I never really liked reading from a screen as opposed to a book.

Reading from a kindle is not the same as reading from a normal screen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Really should try a kindle or something but I never really liked reading from a screen as opposed to a book.
    Have you used a Kindle? It's not like reading from a computer screen at all. Far closer to reading from a book. I didn't realise it until I got one myself

Nope, that's why I want to try one!

Nope, that's why I want to try one!

If it's any help my library is about 300 books strong and I swore I would never go down the e-book route. Well, you know what they say about that 'n' word. The Kindle is brilliant, it doesn't get in the way of you reading, it (99% of the time) opens where you left off so you don't need to worry about trawling through menus and the reading experience is almost exactly like reading from a real book without all the dead tree.

I believe PC World stock them so maybe you could call into one for a demo before deciding.

Am giving serious thought to buying a eReader (Sony PRS-350).

Once DWD comes out I'm not going to be able to lug it in and out of work in hardback, which means I'll be reduced to reading 10 pages a night in bed and finishing it in 2012. :pac:

Is it terribly sad that I'm considering taking annual leave to hole up somewhere with the book? :o

Am giving serious thought to buying a eReader (Sony PRS-350).

Once DWD comes out I'm not going to be able to lug it in and out of work in hardback, which means I'll be reduced to reading 10 pages a night in bed and finishing it in 2012. :pac:

The Kindle is far superior to the Sony eReaders (as an owner of both). Both in terms of display and in terms of ease of use and access to content.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Is it terribly sad that I'm considering taking annual leave to hole up somewhere with the book? :o
    No! I would only I'd have to leave the house anyway as with two kids and the wife around there would mean no peace whatsoever. I might take a few hours off work in the afternoon and head to St Stephen's Green if the weather is good. :p
    nesf wrote: »
    The Kindle is far superior to the Sony eReaders (as an owner of both). Both in terms of display and in terms of ease of use and access to content.
    I just hate the look of the Kindle. The round buttons - aaaargh.
    Also, now I've seen the Sony PRS-650 in black... I want it. I hate hate hate silver or white devices.

How is access to content better? I very much doubt there's titles I'd be interested in not available for Sony devices, and I have no problem plugging it in every month rather than needing wi-fi....

• Advertisement

I just hate the look of the Kindle. The round buttons - aaaargh.
    Also, now I've seen the Sony PRS-650 in black... I want it. I hate hate hate silver or white devices.

How is access to content better? I very much doubt there's titles I'd be interested in not available for Sony devices, and I have no problem plugging it in every month rather than needing wi-fi....

Main things are the Amazon store being better stocked than any Sony store I was exposed to and the Sample option being brilliant. Also with 3G being able to download samples or books on the go is lovely for long train trips when you'd like to sample something different on the journey. There's also the simplicity of getting content onto the device with no computer needed versus the Sony offering.

Advertisement