Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011 [SPOILERS] - See Mod Post #4

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hmmm. Might look into Sony books availability, but really not pushed about 3G.
    The rate I read these days plugging a reader into a PC once a month is definitely not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Dades wrote: »
    No! I would only I'd have to leave the house anyway as with two kids and the wife around there would mean no peace whatsoever. I might take a few hours off work in the afternoon and head to St Stephen's Green if the weather is good. :p/QUOTE]
    That's the worst bit...

I'm in the same position and considering holing up in a B&B somewhere / heading down to my mother's house in order to get peace to get stuck into it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No kindle on display at PC World :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmmm. Might look into Sony books availability, but really not pushed about 3G.
    The rate I read these days plugging a reader into a PC once a month is definitely not an issue.

Oh and the Kindle comes in Graphite. I too share your preference for dark devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Update from the man himself on his blog, provides some good insights about how the book was finally completed and info on the POV's : http://grrm.livejournal.com/217066.html

BEWARE OF SPOILERS!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Here's an interesting preview online:
    Not too much detail so pretty spoiler free

http://www.ology.com/technology/first-dance-dragons-review-looks-promising

A few images recur in the enormously complex fifth installment of Martin's massively multicharacter epic: the chess-like game cyvasse, small rivers flowing into larger ones, ships and armies battered by terrible storms. These themes suggest that readers should think strategically, be patient as the story grows, and brace for a beating.

If you appreciated the more deliberate feel of A Feast for Crows, you're in luck:

The new volume has a similar feel to Feast and takes place over a similar time frame; Martin keeps it fresh by focusing on popular characters Tyrion Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen, and Jon Snow, all notably absent from the previous book.

Personally the Tyrion and Jon plots interest me the most. So I shall be a happy bunny on hols this year.

There's one element of spoiler in that link: a suggestion as to the identities of the dragon riders...

Also the suggestion that
    this book sees more peace accords than wars being declared

Must stay away from more reviews.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Tenger wrote: »
    If you appreciated the more deliberate feel of A Feast for Crows, you're in luck:

The new volume has a similar feel to Feast and takes place over a similar time frame; Martin keeps it fresh by focusing on popular characters Tyrion Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen, and Jon Snow, all notably absent from the previous book.

I don't like this bit. Hopefully the flow and writing is better in ADFD compared to AFFC as it was by far the least enjoyable book to me.

I think it was the least enjoyable of the books so far due to the characters it followed more so than anything else 5starpool.

I enjoyed Samwell's chapters and some of the Dornish stuff but, for example, Brienne's chapters or Aeron Damphair's were a bit of a struggle.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I think it was the least enjoyable of the books so far due to the characters it followed more so than anything else 5starpool.

I enjoyed Samwell's chapters and some of the Dornish stuff but, for example, Brienne's chapters or Aeron Damphair's were a bit of a struggle.

Ya, that's true as well. I think if it gets to the stage where that book is serialised for TV, then they would do well to focus on things a bit differently. I can't imagine them doing a series 4 without focusing on Dany, Tyrion or Jon anyhow.

I'm going to start re-reading the books next week so that I get the tv conclusion before I get to the end of the first book. I'd say there has been some explosion in book sales since the show has aired anyhow. I've seen a decent few people reading them on the train during commutes anyhow.

• Advertisement

From passing through airports a lot recently, the first three books all appear to be back in the Top 50 charts in the bookstores. :)

I liked the Damphair! (Hope they cast Sébastien Chabal in the series :D)

It's the bloody Sansa chapters that drove me mad.

LOL, I'm not a fan of Sansa as such, but it is through her chapters we get to see Littlefinger by that stage of the series :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 G453

Not a fan of Sansa myself either, but I think Littlefinger is going to smarten her up a good bit, I can see her being a force to reckon with further on....and Littlefingers downfall! Love the books, love the speculation even more!! :)

5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, that's true as well. I think if it gets to the stage where that book is serialised for TV, then they would do well to focus on things a bit differently. I can't imagine them doing a series 4 without focusing on Dany, Tyrion or Jon anyhow.........
    Well Feast and Dance take place over a similar timeframe so I could see them doing the first half of each book in 1 series with the second half of each in the following. (I agree that a series without 3 favourite characters wouldn't go down well with the TV viewers) Not sure how that would be done re series finale though (Currently re-reading Storm of Swords part 2) Another question would be whether Storm of Swords would be a single series or perhaps 15+ episodes. With the success of series 1 I could see HBO expanding the episode count. Maybe 12 for next one then up to 15......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

One guy on another forum has got his 'your book has been dispatched' email from amazon.de for DwD, so he is currently sweating and waiting at his letterbox. Remains to be seen if they actually send it or catch their error :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

One guy on another forum has got his 'your book has been dispatched' email from amazon.de for DwD, so he is currently sweating and waiting at his letterbox. Remains to be seen if they actually send it or catch their error :)

It seems like a few hundred copies have been sent out. I'm gonna avoid anywhere there might be spoilers posted.

Been working my way through the Dunc and Egg tales in anticipation of this. Some lovely nods to later events in Hedge Knight, starting Sworn Sword tomorrow :)

Been working my way through the Dunc and Egg tales in anticipation of this. Some lovely nods to later events in Hedge Knight, starting Sworn Sword tomorrow :)

Really want to read these stories. An interesting view of the Westerod setting before the rebellion and fall of the Targaryen's.

Did you order the Legends/Warriors anthologies? I have spotted the last one in Borders but the others I think are Amazon only.

There are 3 novellas?
    Hedge Knight in 'Legends' (1998)
    Sworn Sword in 'Legends 2' (2003)
    Mystery Knight in 'Warriors' (2010)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Are there any shops in Dublin (indie shops maybe) that will break the street date on this? If anyone sees it for sale anywhere maybe they can post the info here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Are there any shops in Dublin (indie shops maybe) that will break the street date on this? If anyone sees it for sale anywhere maybe they can post the info here?
    It'll depend on whether there's an embargo on it or not. I know Raymond E. Feist's latest arrived two weeks earlier on the book shelves than the release date because there was no embargo on it. This could happen with "Dance with Dragons" if:
    1) The book arrives early (not so likely given how late it went for publication)
    2) There's no embargo

I erally have to get cracking on re-reading these books. Made good progress the last couple of days, but still only on the first half of a clash of kings. I doubt I'll be ready when it hits my kindle so once I see people reporting having their hands on the book I'll be avoiding the thread until I have it read.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

5starpool wrote: »
    I erally have to get cracking on re-reading these books. Made good progress the last couple of days, but still only on the first half of a clash of kings. I doubt I'll be ready when it hits my kindle so once I see people reporting having their hands on the book I'll be avoiding the thread until I have it read.

I took the lazy way out and just read the chapter summaries on towerofthehand.com :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

pljudge321 wrote: »
    It seems like a few hundred copies have been sent out. I'm gonna avoid anywhere there might be spoilers posted.

Yeah he got it yestersday and has started it so could be quite a few spoilers knocking around soon.

I took the lazy way out and just read the chapter summaries on towerofthehand.com :)

Ya, that's what I do for Wheel of Time (as well as reread the last one published), as I'm sure as hell not re-reading all of them, but it's been 6 or so years, since a feast for crows came out, since I've read the ASoIaF books, so didn't want to jsut get a summary.

nesf wrote: »
    Oh and the Kindle comes in Graphite. I too share your preference for dark devices.
    I bought a Kindle in the end btw, and I do now love it. :p
    The only Sony readers you can get here are fcuking silver and to get a black one shipped from 'elsewhere' would have involves a financial humping.

Roll on the glorious twelfth. I've even preordered my Kindle edition in case they run out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Roll on the glorious twelfth. I've even preordered my Kindle edition in case they run out of stock.

Can't feckin wait, I've even taken the day off work for it!!

Tenger wrote: »
    Really want to read these stories. An interesting view of the Westerod setting before the rebellion and fall of the Targaryen's.

Did you order the Legends/Warriors anthologies? I have spotted the last one in Borders but the others I think are Amazon only.

There are 3 novellas?
    Hedge Knight in 'Legends' (1998)
    Sworn Sword in 'Legends 2' (2003)
    Mystery Knight in 'Warriors' (2010)
    Only discovered the existence of Mystery Knight this morning... I came across old audiobook copies of the first two.

6 days left...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Beware! Spoilers have begun to appear due to the leaked books!

GRRM is not exactly happy: "I am not happy about this. My publishers are furious. If we find out who is responsible, we will mount his head on a spike"

Advertisement