Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011 [SPOILERS] - See Mod Post #4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SoTek72

Anywhere in Dublin doing a midnight opening ?

Or would it even be worthwhile ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I doubt there's anywhere doing a midnight opening. However, I did read that they're publishing in the six figures for this release in the UK, which is HUGE for a fantasy book.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

ixoy wrote: »
    Beware! Spoilers have begun to appear due to the leaked books!

GRRM is not exactly happy: "I am not happy about this. My publishers are furious. If we find out who is responsible, we will mount his head on a spike"

Well I'm glad to see this thread so quiet anyway!
    So where is everyone planning on buying the book? Would I be ok with just strolling into Waterstones tuesday morning and picking up a copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I don't know what country I'll be in yet so it may even be an airport purchase for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

just rang my local Waterstones and they said if you pre book with them and leave a deposit of 3.50 you'll get the book half price on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hmmm.
    Wonder if my pre-ordered Kindle copy is going to be downloadable on UK time, or US time. :confused:

Might check out that Waterstones offer as well as I'll be buying the hardcopy too. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm behind schedule on my book re-reading, so won't get to start when it's released unless I only read chapter summaries for the last book perhaps. Probably best not to do that thoguh. Just about to start ASOS, so even if I did skip the full version of AFFC I'd still be pushed.

I'd say GRRM must be making a mint out of this though through the TV show, and the numbers being printed in the UK alone quoted above kinda prove this. It had a lot of fans anyhow for a fantasy series, never mind now.

Dades wrote: »
    Hmmm.
    Wonder if my pre-ordered Kindle copy is going to be downloadable on UK time, or US time. :confused:
    US time. I've preordered twice before and got the titles around 0800 which would be midnight on the west coast.

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd say GRRM must be making a mint out of this though through the TV show, and the numbers being printed in the UK alone quoted above kinda prove this. It had a lot of fans anyhow for a fantasy series, never mind now.
    Good for him if he's making cash. He doesn't seem like the type to fly a Gulfstream or hire people to comb his beard for him. Still visits all the shows and spends hours signing books and replying to emails/blog posts etc.
    US time. I've preordered twice before and got the titles around 0800 which would be midnight on the west coast.
    Cool - I assume that's 0800 on the morning of (Irish) release? :)

Certainly must be raking it at the moment alright between his payments from the TV Series and a look at the New York Times Top 10 list:

1. AGoT
    4. ACOK
    6. ASOS
    8. AFOC

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2011-07-10/mass-market-paperback/list.html

As Dades says though, good for him!

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    just rang my local Waterstones and they said if you pre book with them and leave a deposit of 3.50 you'll get the book half price on the day.
    Might check out that Waterstones offer as well as I'll be buying the hardcopy too.
    Remembered too late Waterstones in Dublin was shut down... sure it was a nice day to walk off a big lunch. :)

I see their online store is doing the offer but looking for £5 for delivery so not really much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Alrite thats it i'm going to eat a full box of bran flakes and down a pint of prune juice so i can spend the day in work on the crapper. god bless the kindle app.

Alrite thats it i'm going to eat a full box of bran flakes and down a pint of prune juice so i can spend the day in work on the crapper. god bless the kindle app.

The kindle itself also fits nicely in a pocket as long as you have somewhere solid to put it after it leaves your trouser pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I rang Easons in Dun Laoire. Lady said they dont do reserves or pre-order and couldn't confirm whether it would be on the shelf on Tuesday. Kerazy lady... might ring back in awhile to speak with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I pre-ordered in store yesterday, when I was there I heard mention of 31.50 as the price which means it will cost €15.75 which isn't half bad for a massive new release hard back.

I rang Easons in Dun Laoire. Lady said they dont do reserves or pre-order and couldn't confirm whether it would be on the shelf on Tuesday. Kerazy lady... might ring back in awhile to speak with someone else.
    They had a big sign up in the O'Connell Street branch announcing the 12th of July date.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Bah, only 13% into my reread of A Feast for Crows. Must get off my ass (or onto it) and get some serious reading done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 annab3

Anyone know of the possibility of getting it in paper Monday at midnight? =]
    I've been waiting a loooong time.

nesf wrote: »
    Bah, only 13% into my reread of A Feast for Crows. Must get off my ass (or onto it) and get some serious reading done.
    Now there's a quote that could only come from a ebook reader!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

About the same myself but not on Kindle.

Have pre-ordered from Amazon and no sign of them shipping yet so I might get to finist AFFC.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    About the same myself but not on Kindle.

Have pre-ordered from Amazon and no sign of them shipping yet so I might get to finist AFFC.

Have it pre-ordered on Kindle so it'll appear on the morning of the 12th for me. Been far too lazy about book 4 and there's so much I don't remember from it.

Have it pre-ordered on Kindle so it'll appear on the morning of the 12th for me. Been far too lazy about book 4 and there's so much I don't remember from it.

You could probably get away with just reading the Ayra chapters and reading the last Victarion, Arianne and Cersei chapters.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    You could probably get away with just reading the Ayra chapters and reading the last Victarion, Arianne and Cersei chapters.

Or a book summary online. I want to read the full thing though.

Or a book summary online. I want to read the full thing though.
    What's the best summary site? I'll need to brush up. I was a bit lost for Feast of Crows.

What's the best summary site? I'll need to brush up. I was a bit lost for Feast of Crows.

A poster above mentions towerofthehand.com for summaries. I haven't been on the site though, but might we worth a look anyhow.

Good summaries here as well, down the bottom of the page.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_feast_for_crows

Anyone know who has this at the best price tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

So excited - pre ordered on Kindle..... Have re-read the chapter summaries as discussed above, had forgotten a few tasty happenings (even though I finished AFFC only a few months ago).

Must...... avoid....... spoilers.......gaaaahhhhhh.......

Bah, only 1/3 of the way through ASOS, but I'm determined to read all books fully before I start ADWD. I've waited 6 years, I can wait an extra week or 10 days I guess.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Anyone know who has this at the best price tomorrow?
    Dubray Books on Grafton St are selling it for 25 quid (and taking pre-orders). I'll probably get my hardcopy in there tomorrow.

A Feast for Crows is still fresh in my mind since I finished my full-series (audiobook!) re-read last month. I am primed. :)

Advertisement