Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011 [SPOILERS] - See Mod Post #4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 cilliannolan

i finished FFC yesterday beat that also, the loft bookshop on abbey street dublin is doin a midnight release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

€25 squid seems so expensive when you've been used to looking at the on-line prices!

Will be making the trip into the loft I think. Anyone else going to do the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 cilliannolan

I think I will be at the loft aswell,expensive though:rolleyes: still CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

5starpool wrote: »
    I've waited 6 years, I can wait an extra week or 10 days I guess.

5p says you can't.

Aye, will be €27 at the Loft. Expensive compared to on-line but I'm happy to pay the €2 over the Easons price for the occasion of a midnight launch and the fact they're a small indie store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Dubarry Books Blackrock Shopping Centre!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

5p says you can't.

I won't want to wait, but if I can resist reading threads like this I'll be ok. If I read a few people saying ZOMG!!!! AMAZING, or something I will curse AFFC as it is my least favourite of them so far, although I've only read that once, and the others twice before, at least before I started this current re-read, so hopefully it will stack up better this time around when expactations aren't as high.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

For me it's going to be annoying as you childless, jobless, or insomniacs race through the book starting tomorrow.

I'd say winter really will be coming by the time I get through it with my restricted daily-reading window!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

anyone know a good site for recaps of the books so far? I kept intending to read the entire series before the new book came out but I just haven't bothered

just looking for a semi-thorough run down of what's happened so far so I'm up to speed when I pick it up tomorrow.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Some mentioned on the previous page of this thread. westeros.org and towerofthehand.com I believe are sites that have summaries.

• Advertisement

marvellous, i'll take a look at them tonight so.

Dades wrote: »
    For me it's going to be annoying as you childless, jobless, or insomniacs race through the book starting tomorrow.

I'd say winter really will be coming by the time I get through it with my restricted daily-reading window!
    I think this book will temporarily cause me to fall into the third category...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Im heading off to Crete for 2 weeks on Sunday and this shall be joining me onthe beaches! Cannot wait!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

** Attention citizens **

Reckon this thread is a good place for discussion so can people observe a bit of the following:

When talking about the book, mention what page you're on before using spoiler space so people can know what you're spoiling.
    If it's a Kindle (like me) give the %.
    Since GRRM doesn't believe in Chapter numbers we can't do that and we can't really use character's POV so this is the only way.

I'm going to update the thread later with "SPOILERS" in the title.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just pre-ordered in Hodges Figgis Dawson St for a half price (€15.50) copy...

No money changed hands so you might be able to ring in an order... Close at 7pm!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Will it be available for download at midnight tonight on Kindle?

8am apparently.

Sleepy wrote: »
    8am apparently.
    You can try earlier but I'm basing it on two previous purchases that I got on the day of the release. It makes sense though as it aligns with the US west coast. It means the Brits probably get it 8 hours earlier....

It's apparently available in the Aussie iBook store atm.

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's apparently available in the Aussie iBook store atm.
    Oh and since you're in my vicinity, don't you go around discussing it when you're walking from your house to the shops/work/wherever :P

• Advertisement

I'll get the loudspeaker out and read the last page as I'm driving back from the Loft ;)

Excited as a child at Christmas. If anyone's heading in for the midnight release, I'm the guy in the Ouija board t-shirt and combats...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

What bookstores are doing a midnight release?

Do you think the 24 hour tesco's will have it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Gonna wait for a cheaper one myself and re-read them all, which I am in the process of doing. Along with starting the last malazan book, man I have good reading ahead of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

Got my copy at The Loft Bookshop's midnight launch. It's upstairs in the Twisted Pepper on Abbey Street, Dublin.

Good turnout for it. Beast of a book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Woohoo kindle app just downloaded it.

Flash86 wrote: »
    Got my copy at The Loft Bookshop's midnight launch. It's upstairs in the Twisted Pepper on Abbey Street, Dublin.

Good turnout for it. Beast of a book!
    Yup, was nice to see some more fans as excited as me about getting their copy. Just wish I'd taken the day off work today, got to page 82 last night and very much living up to my username this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

physical copy or electronic copy....hmmm.
    still in the process of re-reading the other books on my Aldiko app but will probably buy the physical copy to complete the physical set. The cover looks great too.
    If then maybe somehow i just magically find the electronic backup copy in my electronic library as well i wont feel any guilt...
    Strangely if i bought the electronic copy and then magically found the physical copy on my shelf i would. odd that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Went into my local bookshop yesterday and he said he will have it today or latest wednesday.
    I was all happy gave him a tenner and all.
    Cue 11.30 pm and email from amazon.
    Hello amazon what crappy deals are you telling me about now. What! You have posted my copy of Dance with Dragons and I should have it by Thursday.

Forgot I ordered from them guys. Now either lose my tenner deposit or spend another tenner to have a second copy.

This happened with Gathering Storm as well.

the "bookshop" in carlow doesn't have it, dunno why I'm surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

anyone know a good site for recaps of the books so far? I kept intending to read the entire series before the new book came out but I just haven't bothered

just looking for a semi-thorough run down of what's happened so far so I'm up to speed when I pick it up tomorrow.

Just bought it 25.99 in Easons.

As for a recap

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2011/06/song-of-ice-and-fire-so-far-part-4.html

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2011/06/song-of-ice-and-fire-so-far-part-3.html

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2011/06/song-of-ice-and-fire-so-far-part-2.html

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2011/06/song-of-ice-and-fire-so-far-part-1.html

Advertisement