Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011 [SPOILERS] - See Mod Post #4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ixoy wrote: »
    Just thought this might be of interest to people:

This is the US publisher data and it just shows how eager fans were. I know people were eager but I'm genuinely surprised that it broke this year's record given fantasy is typically a niche genre.
    Hopefully it won't make him think "Ah sure I don't need to do this anymore" given the money he's probably earned (I know also that, in the UK, they printed 1m copies of his back catalogue this year and somewhere in the six figures for "A Dance with Dragons").

What was the highest nonfiction though? :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not surprised 5 years waiting which built up the book to legendary status then you have a very popular tv show that ends on a cliff hanger.
    The events that follow that cliff hanger have been available to read since the publication of A Clash of Kings 13 years ago. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Just wanted to quote this post as it is 100% spot on exactly what I'm thinking having also just finished it five minutes ago. I really don't want to wait years and years for the next!

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    Finished it about five minutes ago, feel sort of empty now. Anyway I really enjoyed it, in many ways more than I enjoyed the fourth. I think this may be because it involved the majority of my favourite characters, but I did like that it wasn't totally focused on one specific geographically placed group of characters like the last book. We did have snippets of other characters too, however brief they might have been it was a nice break nonetheless.

If we have to wait five years for the next installment I will do as all mourning women in Westeros do (according to men) and pull my hair out in grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Finished it last night. Thought it was good and enjoyed it but
    Nothing much really happened.
    Tyrion still hasn't met Dany. The wall is still not ready. Dany still nowhere near getting home. Looks like Cersei will be back in charge again it looks like, she might have a bit more sense this time but if she does well she is fecked. Arya is still no one. Out of all the people who were trying to find Dany only one made it and he only made it so the dragons could get loose. Bran is maybe the only person who moved forward. And what is going on north of the wall. Still really now nothing about the walkers and wights and all that. Suppose have to wait an age for Sam's chapters in the next book
    Last two books have been a bit like some of Robert Jordan's middle books.

Did like Reeks chapters, Tyrion and Victorion(spelling).:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Finished it last night. Thought it was good and enjoyed it but
    Nothing much really happened. Tyrion still hasn't met Dany. The wall is still not ready. Dany still nowhere near getting home. Looks like Cersei will be back in charge again it looks like, she might have a bit more sense this time but if she does well she is fecked. Arya is still no one. Out of all the people who were trying to find Dany only one made it and he only made it so the dragons could get loose. Bran is maybe the only person who moved forward. And what is going on north of the wall. Still really now nothing about the walkers and wights and all that. Suppose have to wait an age for Sam's chapters in the next book.
    Last two books have been a bit like some of Robert Jordan's middle books.

Did like Reeks chapters, Tyrion and Victorion(spelling).

Use spoiler tags FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Use spoiler tags FFS!

You might want to edit your post with spoilers in the quote section.

Just finished reading this. Very good indeed. Now, how many years before we find out what happens next?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Goddam stupid schizophrenia, having serious difficulty concentrating enough to read, only 2 chapters in so far. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Saltfeather

pg 325 (i think)
    is it just me or was that a very Monty Python quote:D
    made me lol anyway

dammit but trying to figure out who the 'Septa' really is is bugging the hell outta me, either
    Ashara, or a small part of me is going..what if it's Lyanna!
    there are just too many hints for her not to be somebody right? of have i just been looking for R+L=J hints for so long that now i see hints just about everywhere:rolleyes:

7% in - though never get any reading done at weekends.

Also, I don't know why I read this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just finished. Have to say I feel like the writing could have done with a longer final polish: quite a few expressions are somewhat over-used.

Plot wise, however, I'm happy enough with the progression even if it felt a little slow at times.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm 3% through :D Even so far, I'm constantly looking at 'A Wiki of Ice and Fire' so that I can recall what the hell happened, who everyone is, why they're doing what they're doing, where they are, how they did it....It's been ten years since I last saw many of these plotlines!

Shoulda done a re-read ixoy!

Sleepy wrote: »
    Shoulda done a re-read ixoy!
    I've 100 books to get through on my Kindle now - no time to re-read anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

Sleepy wrote: »
    Wonder how long it'll be before someone is licensed to create a Globe from the maps... would be a great collectors item.

great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

Speculation / Spolier :: Page 193 just after finishing A tyrion chapter.
    anyway was reading
    http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2011/06/song-of-ice-and-fire-so-far-part-2.html, linked above.
    And
    And came to the part about Lord Jon Connington of Griffin's Roost, who was exiled to the free cities. Gonna take a wild guess that he's Griff. Not sure if I want ye to say if its brought up later in the book or not. But think its him anyway.

And do we find out, or have we been told already, who Brans guide is? Only wild guess I could come up with is his Uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Just over 50% into it.
    Well there's goes my theory on john snow being Rhaegars son

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Just over 50% into it.
    Well there's goes my theory on john snow being Rhaegars son
    Still could be possible, if Rhaegar and Lyanna married before he was born it would put him second in line to the sucession. There have been a good few references to Ned being with other women which makes me wonder if thy were cover stories planted by Ned to protect Jon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Scruff wrote: »
    physical copy or electronic copy....hmmm.
    still in the process of re-reading the other books on my Aldiko app but will probably buy the physical copy to complete the physical set. The cover looks great too.
    Have just finished Feast 2 days ago. Had completely forgotten about the little note from GRRM at the end that tells us Dance will be out in a little over a year, dated 6 years ago!!

Gonna buy myself a Kindle next week and DoD will be the first purchase. However looking at Amazon.com, it is actually dearer than the Hardcover version. Seems a bit odd that.

I've never liked hardcovers. As a public transport and/or bed reader I find paperbacks much easier to handle. Also take up less space in the book boxes in the attic!

Tenger wrote: »
    Gonna buy myself a Kindle next week and DoD will be the first purchase. However looking at Amazon.com, it is actually dearer than the Hardcover version. Seems a bit odd that.
    Weird - I paid $11 for it as a pre-order. Just assumed it would stay that price.

Very cheeky, tbh.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Weird - I paid $11 for it as a pre-order. Just assumed it would stay that price.

Very cheeky, tbh.
    Fairly standard I believe for pre-releases on Amazon. They charge you the lowest price from the time you ordered it up until the release day. You reward the eager fans. I paid even less: $9.99 because I pre-ordered months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I saw somewhere that eBooks are treated as a service under VAT rules, and are charged at a different rate to their wood based cousins.

ArthurG wrote: »
    I saw somewhere that eBooks are treated as a service under VAT rules, and are charged at a different rate to their wood based cousins.
    In the UK they are, but not in the US. When you buy a book from Amazon.com they don't deal with international VAT rates so you don't pay any VAT. If you bought one from Amazon.co.uk they'd charge you VAT.

Finished it friday, if its 5-6 years for the next one, i will go insane. Hope the next one encompasses all characters and not just spend time on kings landing.

Anyopne here a rumour that he said he wouldn't be able to finish it in 2, he'd need another book?

I've read an interview where he's stated if he needs another book to finish it properly he'll add another book alright...

EDIT: though he did say in the same interview that he still intended to finish it in two. Afraid I can't remember the source, have read way too much GOT / ASOIAF coverage lately!

Maybe one of them will be in two parts!

If it took him three I wouldn't complain as long as he hurried the fook up. :p

Am I alone in that I'd prefer 3 more books?

Honestly, I don't expect The Winds of Winter to take any more than 2/3 years to hit bookshelves. Maybe I'm overly optimistic but it seems to me that much of the delay with Dance was in setting the platform for the rest of the series to jump off from (or getting the cyvasse pieces in place if you prefer!).

I'd be up for 3 if he did them within a reasonable timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

I think he'll need 3 to tie up all the strands that he has going, its crazy some of the stuff that he's introduced in Dance.

• Advertisement

I'm 31% through and think that:
    introducing Aegon is potentially a big game changer. It can have ramifications throughout the remaining series.
    Of course don't tell me if I'm wrong yet! I've 69% to go.

Also I almost feel sorry for Theon - sorry Reek, rhymes with leek. GRRM is a right bastard to some of his characters.

Lots still to go and it's nice to see a couple of mysteries unravel even as new ones develop

Advertisement