Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Shop Closure on LK Main Street

Options
  • 03-03-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Was walking down Main St today and noticed a sign on Birthdays Shop that a receiver had been appointed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Atlantic Homecare gone in the Retail Park, today as well:

Highland Radio » Atlantic Homecare to close its Letterkenny store with the loss of 18 jobs

That's the toy store and a Euro type shop gone in that Park. Not much left.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Im very surprised at atlantic homecare completely closing they always seemed to be busy any time i was in and it was busy with people buying stuff more importantly unlike other diy stores in the town!

I assume there 10yr lease is up and there not going to renew it but its funny they arent going to downsize it and maybe move down to beside Heiton Buckley their sister company and maybe use some of their large yard!

It looks like Letterkenny retail park no1 is going to be a ghost park lets hope the other 2 dont go the same way or lk will be in big trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Is the Euro type shop gone? I was only in there about 2 weeks ago, it was a brilliant shop.
    I guess Homebase didn't help Atlantic Homecare, at least they are giving their staff plently of notice though.
    No doubt there will be many more closures by the start of the summer :(

Is the Euro type shop gone? I was only in there about 2 weeks ago, it was a brilliant shop.
    I guess Homebase didn't help Atlantic Homecare, at least they are giving their staff plently of notice though.
    No doubt there will be many more closures by the start of the summer :(

I thought it was a couple of months back. Maybe not.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CB11

Euroshop(smart value) is still there, they have the same owners as Elverys Sports

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Atlantic homecare closing???

Very very bad sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

tatabubbly wrote: »
    Atlantic homecare closing???

Very very bad sign!

Ah now tbh I always found them overpriced and they would be suffering after the boom now dead quiet with a massive building to pay rent on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

So sad to hear about Birthdays shop. It was really expensive though and almost impossible to park outside. Also Atlantic will be missed. Why doesn't Letterkenny have a toy shop any more? Where do people buy toys now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

So sad to hear about Birthdays shop. It was really expensive though and almost impossible to park outside. Also Atlantic will be missed. Why doesn't Letterkenny have a toy shop any more? Where do people buy toys now?

Toymaster is in Letterkenny shopping centre...unless its closed down since I left :o

inode wrote: »
    Toymaster is in Letterkenny shopping centre...unless its closed down since I left :o

It's quite small though. Surprise, Surprise in the SC isn't it?

I suppose Argos is there and I think Tesco do a small range, not sure if Heatons still does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

sorry, hit the wrong button and sent a half message. There used to be a toy shop above Mr Chippy at the Tesco roundabout, but that has gone too...

Letterkenny is going to end up really terrible for shopping...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Gallaghers men's clothes shop is closing too. Sale starting on 25th. There'll be nothing but pubs, bookies and chippers on the main st soon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

I hear the wee shop across from dunnes has shut it's doors to,it used to be the express stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

mk2 wrote: »
    I hear the wee shop across from dunnes has shut it's doors to,it used to be the express stop.

Yes. Seen it shut there today. Never heard about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

I also heard that abrakebabra is being gutted out not sure if its closed or being renovated.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

I also heard that abrakebabra is being gutted out not sure if its closed or being renovated.

Sad if its closing if only for the job loss - although for a kebab you cant beat Spice Guru

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Could be for renovations as it is there I would say almost 20 years (remember when they open first they had the video juke box?) and is in need a face lift!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpDonegal

It is been renovated, it is re-opening in Mid - April again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I saw there at the weekend that classic casuals have closed their shop in the shopping centre. Just the one on the main st now.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

kiddums wrote: »
    I saw there at the weekend that classic casuals have closed their shop in the shopping centre. Just the one on the main st now.

Did they not have 2 on the main st at one point one on each side of the rd?

A little of topic but related it must be terrible for the businesses in lk that are struggling to pay the bank and tax etc to see their competition who didn't and who have ended up in receivership now being run by the banks.
    We all know a large group of hotels pubs in nightclubs in letterkenny that is controlled by the bank and is now competing against other businesses and making them struggle are we just going to end up with letterkenny being owned by banks

• Advertisement

cosanostra wrote: »
    A little of topic but related it must be terrible for the businesses in lk Ireland that are struggling to pay the bank and tax etc to see their competition who didn't and who have ended up in receivership now being run by the banks.

Fixed your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

TK MAXX and Marks and Sparks are rumoured to be going but claims have been dismissed by staff.

Carpet Right have escaped closure as the store is performing well compared to others in the country

Michael Gallaghers - going
    Birthdays - Gone
    Convenience store across from Dunnes (apparantly over rent) - Gone
    Unique in the shopping centre - gone
    Classic Casuals (did have 2 shops on the main street) - Downsized.
    Atlantic Homecare - Going

I can see more being added to this list over the next couple of months.

Sad really as this was the fastest growing town in Europe and is now decreasing just as quick.

Forgot some

Kellys Sales and Service - Gone
    Letterkenny 4 X 4 - Closing
    the bridal suite - Rumoured to be closing

Convenience store across from Dunnes (apparantly over rent) - Gone
    That place looked open(ish) this morning as I passed. The shutters were half down but a woman was stooping down to get in.
    Hope it's temporary, as I always liked that shop. Nicest staff of all the newsagents IMO.

Pique wrote: »
    That place looked open(ish) this morning as I passed. The shutters were half down but a woman was stooping down to get in.
    Hope it's temporary, as I always liked that shop. Nicest staff of all the newsagents IMO.

Previous person closed the shop over rent.

I was over there earlier myself. Someone else is going to be resuming the business. Give it a week and it will be back open. Not all staff will be taken back on board (too many). :D

Pique wrote: »
    The shutters were half down but a woman was stooping down to get in..

Cleaner!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Forgot some

Kellys Sales and Service - Gone

Letterkenny 4 X 4 - Closing
    the bridal suite - Rumoured to be closing

Who are Kellys Sales and Service ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

salonfire wrote: »
    Who are Kellys Sales and Service ?

I assume he means, Tony Kelly cars, not Kelly Sales & service (the toyota garage) because they are still going strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭md23040

Sad really as this was the fastest growing town in Europe and is now decreasing just as quick.

There are a number of towns in Ireland claiming to be the fastest growing in Europe (from 2002 forward) and all are urban myths. Letterkenny from 2002 to 2006 grew by 15.5% to an urban area of 18,500 whilst other towns during the same period like Swords grew by 25% (33,000) and Navan by 28% (25,000). Between 2002 to date, the floorspace in Letterkenny grew much more than this and the contraction now is only natural consequence of a supply and demand rebalance.

In Germany there are hard fast rules about the amount of retail floor space allowed per 1000 population with a strong anti-competition laws and this creates sustainability.

Also unfortunately Derry will continue to be the main retail destination since the cost of doing business there is much cheaper, the catchment area is much larger (300,000 catchment), there is larger critical mass and much less red tape.

Also anecdotally, two weeks ago took my daughters Vintage dress into a dry cleaners in Letterkenny and it was €23 (took it back), went to Derry same £9.90. No wonder business is being drained daily and until rents, red tape cut etc, it will sadly continue.

For the record AFAIK according to EuroStat either Swindon or Inverness are the fastest growing towns/cities.

• Advertisement

md23040 wrote: »
    There are a number of towns in Ireland claiming to be the fastest growing in Europe (from 2002 forward) and all are urban myths. Letterkenny from 2002 to 2006 grew by 15.5% to an urban area of 18,500 whilst other towns during the same period like Swords grew by 25% (33,000) and Navan by 28% (25,000). Between 2002 to date, the floorspace in Letterkenny grew much more than this and the contraction now is only natural consequence of a supply and demand rebalance.

In Germany there are hard fast rules about the amount of retail floor space allowed per 1000 population with a strong anti-competition laws and this creates sustainability.

Also unfortunately Derry will continue to be the main retail destination since the cost of doing business there is much cheaper, the catchment area is much larger (300,000 catchment), there is larger critical mass and much less red tape.

Also anecdotally, two weeks ago took my daughters Vintage dress into a dry cleaners in Letterkenny and it was €23 (took it back), went to Derry same £9.90. No wonder business is being drained daily and until rents, red tape cut etc, it will sadly continue.

For the record AFAIK according to EuroStat either Swindon or Inverness are the fastest growing towns/cities.

I think that statistic seemed to grow legs around the mid to late 90's.

I can remember it been questioned atm, could well have been one of things that somebody printed or said and it grew wings.

Advertisement