Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Shop Closure on LK Main Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

When I moved to Letterkenny in 1989, a lecturer at the RTC told us that Xtravision had just decided to open in town because it had this fastest growing town in Western Europe status. There possibly is some truth to it as older people in the family remember when Ramelton was considered more significant than Letterkenny back in the 30's and 40's.. anyone ever hear this?
    Not meaning to drag this thread off topic, are there any new businesses opening in Letterkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I done a bit of research into this for a work project about three years ago, at the time Letterkenny was fourth with Rotterdam being the fastest, Can't remember where I got the info from, sorry.

Theblueirish

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

When I moved to Letterkenny in 1989, a lecturer at the RTC told us that Xtravision had just decided to open in town because it had this fastest growing town in Western Europe status. There possibly is some truth to it as older people in the family remember when Ramelton was considered more significant than Letterkenny back in the 30's and 40's.. anyone ever hear this?
    Not meaning to drag this thread off topic, are there any new businesses opening in Letterkenny?

Surprisingly a few restaurants opened, Italian out by the Dry Arch and one in the McGinley building but that replaced another one.

The discount stores and Aldi and Lidl seem to be doing well. Everybody wants value. And Penneys of course!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭md23040

K-9 wrote: »
    Surprisingly a few restaurants opened, Italian out by the Dry Arch and one in the McGinley building but that replaced another one.

The discount stores and Aldi and Lidl seem to be doing well. Everybody wants value. And Penneys of course!

La Fantasia by the Dry Arch is there for the last 3 years, the food is nice but pretty expensive. It was €74 for mains for 2 adults and 2 kids with one drink each a couple of weeks ago.

For a view of Letterkenny six years ago try this thread. Even then at the start of the boom, many posters had reservations of where it all was going. I wonder of those mentioned how many are in Nama.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=305529

By the way the fastest growing town in Ireland in 2000's with 15,000+ population was Balbriggan at 51% and the fastest growing town in top 100 towns/settlements was Lusk 119%. Letterkenny was always a spinned urban myth.

Edit Add/on
    I done a bit of research into this for a work project about three years ago, at the time Letterkenny was fourth with Rotterdam being the fastest, Can't remember where I got the info from, sorry.Theblueirish

I do not want to take this off topic and this will be my last post on the matter but Rotterdam has a population of 2.1m city and urban area of 6.1m whilst Letterkenny has 15,062 in town and 17,023 urban according to 2006 census. What sort of project were you doing because that's apples and oranges. However IMO Letterkenny planners allowed too much retail space and the local government coffers benefitted hugely and now as a result there are so businesses struggling, chasing too few customers.

Finally Letterkenny has always been strongly dependent on cross-border trade and the present four years of high €uro rates to Sterling has been a massive problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

TK MAXX and Marks and Sparks are rumoured to be going but claims have been dismissed by staff.

Don't think this will happen untill their lease is up which will either be 5, 10 or 15 years left hense why atlantic homecare are closing lease up in june and wont sign a new 10yr lease but rumours of TKMAXX closing have been going around since they opened!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 caprirs3100

Pique wrote: »
    Gallaghers men's clothes shop is closing too. Sale starting on 25th. There'll be nothing but pubs, bookies and chippers on the main st soon!!!
    I have to agree with Pique.The town has totally changed. I never thought I would see the day that Michael Gallagher would even think of closing down his shop. The Main street has seen a lot of changes of the past thirty years. Some good but some completley mad. The road surface now is the worst it has ever been.No need for speed ramps as it is dire at the moment. Its even imposible to park outside any of the shops from Gallaghers Hotel tothe Market square. It will soon be a walking region that nobody could be bothered walking...

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We were running off topic with the last few posts which were about parking so I moved them to here

Can we just stick to discussing the shop closures please.

Cheers.

Advertisement