Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The stuff that never happened thread (the ghosts of Waterford City's future)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Omniplex Cork Road (Glass Social Centre Site)
    Carrickpherrish Village
    Bilberry Apartment and Hotel development
    North Quays redevelopment
    Ard Ri redevelopment
    That site on the ring road (near the De La Salle Soccer pitch)
    The empty building on the Six Cross Roads Roundabout
    Marks and Spencers wanting to come here
    High Street Development
    Regina cinema redevlopment
    Empty IDA business park near the Holy Cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

mike65 wrote: »

I wonder had these come off would the city be better or worse off today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We'd sure be shopping! :p

Good question, I thought that when searching these threads out. We'd have a (bigger) retail crisis to a degree though a few big name anchor tenants like Marks and Sparks would keep one or two going alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

ziedth wrote: »
    I wonder had these come off would the city be better or worse off today?

In the case of the Waterford Shopping Center ......located in Lisduggan......I would say worse.

The existing building ain't the prettiest , but the green areas around it would have been lost if the new development went ahead.....and that would be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm a Retail Manager by trade so it would def have been handy for anyone looking for work along that line and even though i think the New Street development might have saved the city centre I think we are lucky we don't have a load of ghost units like in ferrybank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I wonder what would of happened had we got the likes of New Street centre,
    we would had a ot of new retail space i doubt it would of been left idle if anything units would go cheap giving new businesses a good start,
    on the other hand popular businesses could have moved and we could of had more of a concentration of business leaving other areas to rot.

I remember that gateway innovation fund was earmarked for waterford as i recall it involved alot of the buildings from reginalds tower back along the mall and bailieys new street all the corpo were going to move and the esb offices + extenion would be their new home.
    I think a pedrestian bridge was thrown in there well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 viking2011

jayboi wrote: »

I remember that gateway innovation fund was earmarked for waterford as i recall it involved alot of the buildings from reginalds tower back along the mall and bailieys new street all the corpo were going to move and the esb offices + extenion would be their new home.
    I think a pedrestian bridge was thrown in there well

the City Council did move into the ESB offices and did a nice job on Waterford Crystal into the bargain, the did but empty buildings on the quay around Reginalds tower and on he Mall and in Cathedral Square -
    Pedestrian Bridge is still 5 years plus away i guess -
    i think they are progressing well in the present economic climate
    this year we will have The Bishops Palace/ Waterfords Modern Museum 1700 - 1960. New Viking Museum in Reginalds Tower, New Year New Medival Museum & undercrofts...im sure theres more -
    Well Done City Council!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

viking2011 wrote: »
    the City Council did move into the ESB offices and did a nice job on Waterford Crystal into the bargain, the did but empty buildings on the quay around Reginalds tower and on he Mall and in Cathedral Square -
    Pedestrian Bridge is still 5 years plus away i guess -
    i think they are progressing well in the present economic climate
    this year we will have The Bishops Palace/ Waterfords Modern Museum 1700 - 1960. New Viking Museum in Reginalds Tower, New Year New Medival Museum & undercrofts...im sure theres more -
    Well Done City Council!

What was planned and whats going ahead are very different, what we're getting now is vary much a slimmed down version of it with entire chunks if not most of it being left out
    that said it hasnt detered them from pushing ahead.

I wonder how much has to do with the city the city council and how much is down to the city manager,
    the council hasnt changed much in recent years but the manager has,
    I would attribute a lot of the progress to Michael Walsh

Advertisement