Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Camcorder DCR-HC19E

• 03-03-2011 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have a sony handycam DCR-HC19E that I have been using with windows xp - video transfer is via usb or firewire, using sony image mixer.
    Newer laptop has windows vista so I downloaded the sony software for use with vista, only to find that video transfer can only be done via firewire...but the laptop has no firewire port (and no new laptops or desktops appear to have firewire ports).
    Sony site has a USB driver which they said could be downloaded and that the software could be run in compatability mode for windows xp which might allow transfer via usb, but this did not work.
    I asked about available adapters but have been told there are none...somebody suggested an express card but I can't get one to fit the laptop. Has anybody else encountered this problem ?? Any solution?? I e-mailed sony but got no reply....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Apparently there are cables but they cost quite a bit. I had this issue when ordering my XPS 17 from Dell and in the end I switched to the Studio XPS which has firewire. No much help to you I know :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rockdude

Yes the cables are expensive and don't get over the problem withe the port - its a pain as the camera was expensive and now seems useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

eBay item link might suit you ?

Have considered the express card...not sure that it will work with the laptop as the slot in the laptop is not rectangular but has an extra bit sticking out at the top (not very well explained) - so would a rectangular adapter work in a slot like that I wonder ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have the DCR-HC32e, even though I have drivers installed, it doesn't show as a USB device in XP. I'm extremely handy with drivers/windows having worked in IT as a tech for ages, but this fscking thing eludes me. Pain in the hole, and Sony's site doesn't really make it any easier, not listing drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

rockdude wrote: »
    Have considered the express card...not sure that it will work with the laptop as the slot in the laptop is not rectangular but has an extra bit sticking out at the top (not very well explained) - so would a rectangular adapter work in a slot like that I wonder ??

I think the item I linked has a narrower pluggy-thing than the older PCMCIA cards. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 that has a slot like this, where the hole is as wide as the PCMCIA but the contacts inside are narrower, like the item linked. Some cards may be PCMCIA-width where they go in, with a narrower bit with the contacts. I've only used regular PCMCIA cards myself. The linked item is cheap anyway, might be worth a go ?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I think the item I linked has a narrower pluggy-thing than the older PCMCIA cards. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 that has a slot like this, where the hole is as wide as the PCMCIA but the contacts inside are narrower, like the item linked. Some cards may be PCMCIA-width where they go in, with a narrower bit with the contacts. I've only used regular PCMCIA cards myself. The linked item is cheap anyway, might be worth a go ?
    Think I will give the express card a try - as you say, its not expensive and could save a lot teeth grinding if it works. :)

I have the DCR-HC32e, even though I have drivers installed, it doesn't show as a USB device in XP. I'm extremely handy with drivers/windows having worked in IT as a tech for ages, but this fscking thing eludes me. Pain in the hole, and Sony's site doesn't really make it any easier, not listing drivers.
    Have to agree with you ...Sony are no help at all and I would not purchase Sony again.....even the Sony computers do not have firewire ports and yet their software ONLY works with firewire. Wouldn't you think they would provide software/computers/cables/drivers that are compatable with each other or at least provide information or downloads that would get us out of these problems. Yes, very large pain in the hole...

mordeith wrote: »
    Apparently there are cables but they cost quite a bit. I had this issue when ordering my XPS 17 from Dell and in the end I switched to the Studio XPS which has firewire. No much help to you I know :rolleyes:
    had a look through the cables listed on the site...confusing stuff about 4 pins and 6 pins for somebody like me who is not very computer savvy. There was a USB to firewire adapter which is discontinued. There does not seem to be a firewire to usb adapter:( which is what I would need...will try the express card, failing that I may have to look at purchasing a new desktop pc (my old one is a bit of a antique anyway) and get a firewire port put into it, or have a look at the studio XPS.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

I had the same problem with a DCR-HC14E a while back until I discovered
    it had a usb streaming option that needed to be enabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

rockdude wrote: »
    I have a sony handycam DCR-HC19E that I have been using with windows xp - video transfer is via usb or firewire, using sony image mixer.
    Newer laptop has windows vista so I downloaded the sony software for use with vista, only to find that video transfer can only be done via firewire...but the laptop has no firewire port (and no new laptops or desktops appear to have firewire ports).
    Sony site has a USB driver which they said could be downloaded and that the software could be run in compatability mode for windows xp which might allow transfer via usb, but this did not work.
    I asked about available adapters but have been told there are none...somebody suggested an express card but I can't get one to fit the laptop. Has anybody else encountered this problem ?? Any solution?? I e-mailed sony but got no reply....
    have the same model & same problem but looking on ebay the cables are cheap enough with both 4pin & 6pin,may be worth looking into

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    I had the same problem with a DCR-HC14E a while back until I discovered
    it had a usb streaming option that needed to be enabled
    I have streaming enabled...but the problem is with the software for vista, it does not support usb streaming, only firewire. :(

delw wrote: »
    have the same model & same problem but looking on ebay the cables are cheap enough with both 4pin & 6pin,may be worth looking into
    let me know if you have any success...I am ordering the express card but will be two weeks or so before I get it. will let you know if it works.

express card finally arrived yesterday...but I am pleased to report that it works :) now I xcan finally use the camcorder again.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    eBay item link might suit you ?

Thanks, this solved my problem :)

delw wrote: »
    Success!:)

Advertisement