Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clinical Years

Options
  • 03-03-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey everyone!

I'm in Stage 3 in UCD and we're starting into clinical practice this time next year. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what the timetable is like?

When do you find out what hospital you're in? When do you start in hospitals? How long is the summer break next year? How do you pick what speciality you start with or are you told?

What is the workload like? Once you're into clinical do lectures on campus stop?

Sorry for the questions. UCD don't tend to give us a timeline, well they haven't so far! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

Res year started back on August 30th so you have around 10 weeks holidays.

Hospital choice deadline was June 3rd. Can't remember when you find out if you get your choice but don't worry. I think everyone got the hospital they wanted. You put in your preference to UCD. If you don't get what you want you should be able to arrange a swap with someone wishing to change in the other hospital.

You are assigned to a group, of 3 or 4 students and are timetabled to rotate through all the major specialities. You'll spend 6 weeks in your hospital and also 6 weeks in peripheral hospitals.
    Workload can be nasty. It's really easy to spend the entire day in the hospital and not get anything done. Have a plan to get a certain number of histories and exams done each day and stick to it, something i never did.

You'll also have lectures, teleconferenced from either the Mater or Vincent's. Normally 4-6.

Take this with a pinch of salt as things may change or I have not remembered things correctly.

Finally UCD will get around to giving you this info. Relax and concentrate on Repo,Psych & Child :)

If you really want more info I can mail you the booklet containing the timetable.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭DeadlyTwig

I'm delighted to hear that there is no problem on getting your preferred hospital because I know most people have already made up their minds on where they'd prefer to go.

If you could mail me the timetable, that'd be great!

It'll be nice to see what I'm letting myself in for :P

Thanks a million! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

PM sent

Advertisement