Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wondering what i am eligible for.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Granger13

You can apply to the Community Welfare Officer for an Exceptional Needs Payment to help you out with getting the baby things. The CWO have the discretion to make once- off payments to meet exceptional needs. As you are clearly struggling trying to keep afloat with your rent and may be unable to afford the baby things they may grant you this payment. There is no set amount on what the payment may be as every case is individualised. If you own an house which you dont live in and apply for rent allowance, the CWO would assess it at the full capital value and minus the outstanding mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

k2171 wrote: »
    I am currently on JSA and 6 months pregnant (unplanned).I am living with my boyfriend who is also on JSA after being let go 8 months ago. We have been paying out rent out of our dole every week and are now really struggling to pay the bills.We also have got to start getting things ready for the baby.I own a house, but as of a couple of years ago i have rented it out as i couldnt afford it on my own.I still pay money on top of the rent i recieve to cover the mortgage but i was told not to put down on my JSA forms that i owned a house (by someone working in the dole office). I really need to apply for rent allowance but dont see how as i bought my house from the council so if i go on a housing list they will know that i have a house.
    My boyfriend is starting college in Dublin in September, he is retraining as he is a qualified electrician but there is simply no work for him anymore.So i know it wont be a problem getting RA in Dublin. But i dont know what to do for the next 6 months. Everything for the baby is so expensive.I'm really at a loss of what to do. I have worked all my life as has my boyfriend and this is the worst possible time to be having a baby, but what can i do, its on the way now and im really stuck.Any HELP or advice would be great.
    Thank you for reading.
    By not telling SW you own a house you are committing fraud.
    You won't receive Rent Allowance as you already own a house unfortunately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Getting stuff ready for a baby is not expensive.
    They don't need the best of everything.
    adverts.ie,jumbletown.ie,ikea.ie and kiddicare.com are all worth looking at.
    Talk to your social welfare officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 k2171

Of course im not going to be getting the best of anything for my baby,But you cant say that it isnt expensive when you dont have a spare penny.I have been looking on those sites but we have no mode of transport to collect anything.My house is now worth less than my mortgage on it,so thank you Granger13 i will make an appt to see my CWO next week.I dont see how i have committed fraud when i told them in the SW office that i did infact own a house but they told me it was best not to put it on the form.If i cant get rent allownce what am i meant to do? Sorry but this is very upsetting for me what with being pregnant and having no money.If there were jobs there i would have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

cee_jay wrote: »
    You won't receive Rent Allowance as you already own a house unfortunately.

This is not strictly true. If you own another house, the capital value of that house will be assessed against your claim, but the amount of any outstanding mortgage should be deducted from the amount of the value to be assessed. If the property is in negative equity, then it should not affect your rent supplement. ALthough this is the position as set out in the Department's guidelines, many CWOs will not pay rent supplement if you own other property, however such refusals can be appealed on the basis that they are contrary to the guidelines. If you let us know how much the property is worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage, then perhaps someone can let you know exactly how this should affect any application for rent supplement, at least according to the guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Also, as Grainger13 says above, a CWO always has the power to give an exceptional needs payment, even if you wouldn't otherwise be entitled to a payment, and for something like costs for a new baby or pregnancy, they are likely to be reasonably sympathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 k2171

Thank you Lugh Ildanach, I bought the house with 110% mortgage for 155k its now at 145k and worth about 125k at the moment.I have to pay extra on the rent i recieve to cover the mortgage, and am finding money troubles really worrying lately.I will speak to my CWO next week and see what they might be able to help with. I feel horrible looking for handouts but i dont know what else to do.My family has no means with which to help me either.

Advertisement