Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3D Films

2»

Comments

ztoical wrote: »
    Have seen several people saying this and have to say after seeing it in 3D in the cinema [and none 3D] it wouldn't be top of my list if I got a 3d tv....the 3D effect is only present in the digital world not the real world so you've got the first 15/20 mins of nothing and then frankly really limited 3D effects through. Tron Legacy is the only film after Avatar that I bother to go see both versions to see the difference and even as someone whose not overly impressed by 3D I was amazed at how crap the 3D effort was to the point were I don't know why they bothered.
    I see what you mean about Tron Legacy, big let down 3D wise, good film but the 3D was no wear near the effort gone into Avatar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

jaykhunter wrote: »
    That's an excellent point; i imagine the cross-section of audio/videophiles and techies are quite large; so the potential audience that would flock to new tech (HD, 3D etc) might also know that downloading/streaming is the future of media....

Most of the world (Ireland included) does not have great broadband speeds, outside major urban areas.

GT5 wanted 68 hours to update, on my cousin's PS3.

Most of the world (Ireland included) does not have great broadband speeds, outside major urban areas.
    Monthly download caps don't help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

most 3d films hurt my eyes.

went to see dawn treader 3d and tbh most of it looked normal. only once scene in particular stood out. wont b bothering with 3d again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

GT5 wanted 68 hours to update, on my cousin's PS3.

It'll come. I'm not exactly in the urban capital of the world, but I can still stream several HD movies at once from YouTube. (I love you, UPC. I don't care what they say.) Hell, my parents are as rural as it comes and they've still got reasonably good broadband. HD would require a download - say three times the length of what they want to watch - but standard definition streaming and downloading works just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I work for the largest tv production company in the UK and they are looking to focus more on options for presenting their shows online rather then getting programs made into 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but im just after getting a 3D TV and can anybody recommend something decent to watch on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Kamjana wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but im just after getting a 3D TV and can anybody recommend something decent to watch on it?
    Yes personally i would stick to only movies filmed in proper 3d and animations,
    off the top of my head i would look into gettin
    Tron legacy
    Hugo
    toy story 3
    Up
    Tin Tin

Others feel free to add im only listing off the top of my head ones which i know are quality.

Also when it becomes available Prometheus makes excellent use of 3d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hugo, Transformers 3, Avatar, all look excellent in the format

• Advertisement

Yes personally i would stick to only movies filmed in proper 3d and animations,
    off the top of my head i would look into gettin
    Tron legacy
    Hugo
    toy story 3
    Up
    Tin Tin

Others feel free to add im only listing off the top of my head ones which i know are quality.

Also when it becomes available Prometheus makes excellent use of 3d.
    krudler wrote: »
    Hugo, Transformers 3, Avatar, all look excellent in the format

Thanks,yeah Hugo and Transformers are on my list as is Avengers when it comes out.

I was going to buy Avatar but its not out in 3D yet,seemingly Panasonic had bought the rights to it and it was only available when you bought one of there TV's,i had a quick look on ebay and they are selling for €80 and up!!

Thanks,yeah Hugo and Transformers are on my list as is Avengers when it comes out.

I was going to buy Avatar but its not out in 3D yet,seemingly Panasonic had bought the rights to it and it was only available when you bought one of there TV's,i had a quick look on ebay and they are selling for €80 and up!!

Avatar 3D is due for release at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Fright Night 3D is worth a look. Very dark film but the 3D is pretty good. Totally different film to the original from the 80s. Colin Farrell is very good.

Drive Angry and My Bloody Valentine are both well worth a look. The 3D in both is excellent and used to both create depth in the image and to throw crap at the audience. They are two of the most enjoyable and fun films in a long time, neither is big or strikingly original but both are fun beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

is Avatar not out in 3D yet? thats ridiculous it was the best reason to see it

krudler wrote: »
    is Avatar not out in 3D yet? thats ridiculous it was the best reason to see it
    Pananasonic paid for exclusive distribution rights with their tvs it runs out the end of this year apparantly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Drive Angry and My Bloody Valentine are both well worth a look. The 3D in both is excellent and used to both create depth in the image and to throw crap at the audience. They are two of the most enjoyable and fun films in a long time, neither is big or strikingly original but both are fun beyond belief.

Can you get Drive angry with a dedicated 3D disc though? I watched it on the BluRay combo disc and the image quality suffered

Can you get Drive angry with a dedicated 3D disc though? I watched it on the BluRay combo disc and the image quality suffered

Bar some obvious banding in the final scene and a split second pause where the disc appears to change layers it's really quite a great looking film. I really don't mind them putting both versions on one disc, The Final Destination, Hugo and Underworld Awakening all looked great in both versions and the price is much more agreeable. Take a look in any high street store or even online and dedicated 3D releases take an age to drop in price. Fright Night is still over 30 euro in most high street retailers while films like Drive Angry dropped to 10 euro within a few months.

Anybody know if Xtravison rent 3D films?,been so long since i was in there.

Anybody know if Xtravison rent 3D films?,been so long since i was in there.

The only 3D Blu's you will get in there are films such as Hugo, Conan and Drive Angy which are only in one release which contains both the 2D and 3D version. Films such ad Fright Night and The Hole which have selerate 2D releases will not be available to rent in 3D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

If your a fan of the "comedy" Jackass 3D is a must see. I actually think it's the only film (and maybe Avatar) that 3D makes it a much better film.

If your not into their stuff good God don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

boxofficemojo have actually ranked all the 3D film,

http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=3d.htm

no surprise avatar is top, i think it would be great if you could do a 3D quality ranking on all websites, i dunno if i read the wrong sites or what but it never seems to get mentioned much in reviews, i dont like 3D cause most of it is garbage and simply cashing in, but if its of the quality of avatar id give it a go,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

don ramo wrote: »

no surprise avatar is top, i think it would be great if you could do a 3D quality ranking on all websites, i dunno if i read the wrong sites or what but it never seems to get mentioned much in reviews, i dont like 3D cause most of it is garbage and simply cashing in, but if its of the quality of avatar id give it a go,

That seems to rank by box office gross though and not on how decent the 3D is.

Hugo in 3D is worth it for the opening sequence alone.

Your agreeing with what james cameron and a lot of people including me have been saying, these crap movies where they throw a "3d" sticker on at the end and put in a few special effects arent 3d, they actually tarnish the whole 3d thing.

Whereas films where they go to the bother of using the proper stereoscopic cameras etc from start to finish , and use a few 3d effects tastfully are what it should be about, the best use of 3d so far has been Avatar and Prometheus , it added to the experience without distracting from it . The sooner the studios stop with these half assed 3d films the better, they should just go all or nothing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

OctavarIan wrote: »
    That seems to rank by box office gross though and not on how decent the 3D is.

Hugo in 3D is worth it for the opening sequence alone.

my hangover apologizes, i just clicked the 3D and thought cool they ranked it, didnt think it was done is gross:o:o
    Your agreeing with what james cameron and a lot of people including me have been saying, these crap movies where they throw a "3d" sticker on at the end and put in a few special effects arent 3d, they actually tarnish the whole 3d thing.

Whereas films where they go to the bother of using the proper stereoscopic cameras etc from start to finish , and use a few 3d effects tastfully are what it should be about, the best use of 3d so far has been Avatar and Prometheus , it added to the experience without distracting from it . The sooner the studios stop with these half assed 3d films the better, they should just go all or nothing .

yeah but even when its done with all the proper equipment it can still be bad, if the film can incorporate the 3D great, but the film shouldn't be altered to accommodate it, id be interested in seeing Spider Man in 3D as its a film that can make it work, guy flying around on webs, the idea was made to be in 3D, didnt bother with Prometheus in 3D and i cant see how the 3D would have added to it, ive heard good things about it, but the film didnt do much to make me think of going back for a 3D helping,

my hangover apologizes, i just clicked the 3D and thought cool they ranked it, didnt think it was done is gross:o:o

yeah but even when its done with all the proper equipment it can still be bad, if the film can incorporate the 3D great, but the film shouldn't be altered to accommodate it, id be interested in seeing Spider Man in 3D as its a film that can make it work, guy flying around on webs, the idea was made to be in 3D, didnt bother with Prometheus in 3D and i cant see how the 3D would have added to it, ive heard good things about it, but the film didnt do much to make me think of going back for a 3D helping,

What movie made with all the proper steroscopic cameras etc has been bad ? I ask cause the studio usually wont shell out on the gear for a weak movie. Im talking really bad now not just average ?

Prometheus is sci fi, you really cant imagine how it would add to the experience?

There were loads of scenes where because of filming with proper 3d equipment there was a great depth to the image , things closer to the camera felt closer , things further away acutally looked further away, all these things add to it without distracting you and were present in most scenes.

Off the top of my head, the scene where they had to rush back because of the storm, the effects of the flying debris were really well done in 3d, they werent shooting them at you but it looked like they were there flying past.

Also the scene back on the ship with the floating image of the map the flying robot surveyors were making , there was so many nice little touches to the whole thing.

Dont get me wrong i dont think i would pay twice to see a movie in 2d then 3d, but i believe the extra money was worth it for prometheus as it was the first movie in ages to make proper use of the technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Ant

I don't have a 3D TV - or even a HD TV - but I find the CinemaBlend reviews to be useful when deciding whether to go see a film in 3D or not. Here's a recent review of Prometheus as an example.

Ant wrote: »
    I don't have a 3D TV - or even a HD TV - but I find the CinemaBlend reviews to be useful when deciding whether to go see a film in 3D or not. Here's a recent review of Prometheus as an example.
    thats a good article right there, it would be spot on with my own thoughts of the quality of 3d in the movie.

Advertisement