Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 7 Ultimate. Reformat. Activation key

Options
  • 03-03-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I have windows 7 ultimate currently installed on my Desktop. As the title suggests I want to do a clean install. But there's a catch; i can't find my license key! The machine was not bought with Windows 7 on it, i got the key from a friend who had a bunch of licenses.

Is there any way to retrieve the license key? Or does anyone have any ideas.

Cheers!

Alan.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is there any way to retrieve the license key? Or does anyone have any ideas.Alan.

Is there not a sticker on the side of the box with a license key on the side of it... should say something like

PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Alternatively something like Belarc Advisor (free to download and use) should be able to give you the code..

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Do you have a reinstall CD, recovery partition or how do they let you reinstall it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You can retrieve it using Magical Jellybean, but when you say you "got it from a friend who had a bunch"...if you haven't already, check whether the licence in question is a leaked MAK or a genuine single-licence key that your friend hasn't re-used elsewhere, to avoid the possibility of future activation-related grief.

Personally, I'm always a bit skeevy about licences where I don't have either a physical copy of the docs/media/CoA or proof of receipt, but that's a long-developed habit and I know plenty of sysadmins who use knocked-off versions of Windows on all their machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I keep a copy of my serial keys embedded in my gmail. I send them to myself for future googling. Live and learn :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    I keep a copy of my serial keys embedded in my gmail. I send them to myself for future googling. Live and learn :D
    You still need an offline backup too
    http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/03/01/tape-rescues-google-in-lost-email-scare/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh i read that alright. I still have my sticker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I managed to recover it using Magical Jellybean. Cheers everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

You can use

slmgr -rearm

in cmd for 120 day free play.

Totally legal as well!

Advertisement