Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTS Broadband,any other users on here?

• 03-03-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Any other users of wts bb on here?im a customer as of last week,speeds etc are fine no problem there my issue is it wont allow me to open any ports,i have followed the website for the router's instructions and everything is ok on that side i even tried using my old router which i had ports opened on but when i plug the cable from the power supply into my old router they now show closed,ive tried connecting straight from the cat 5e coming out of the power supply directly to the laptop and ports are still blocked and i have tested elsewhere and the laptop ports are showing open, so surely this has to be an issue with their side of things?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not an issue, they probably deliberately close all non-common ports, for the likes of P2P restriction and so on. The only way you're going to know is by asking them. More than likely, you're not going to get anywhere, as ISPs often close ports for a reason, and will not open them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

i asked him and he said they dont block any ports,but ill ask him to check my config to make sure,as far as i know smart supply them with the bb is it possible that smart are blocking the ports,i want to forward my port so i can access my sat box for recording etc for when im out

• Registered Users Posts: 22 KBB

glic83 wrote: »
    i asked him and he said they dont block any ports,but ill ask him to check my config to make sure,as far as i know smart supply them with the bb is it possible that smart are blocking the ports,i want to forward my port so i can access my sat box for recording etc for when im out

I presume you are using a dreambox or other linux based receiver as Sky have a different system for remote recording.
    I can confirm that Smart do not block any ports of smaller ISP's.
    You will need a static IP address to do what you want. Make sure Upnp is enabled on your router. Why not just use some sort of dynamic dns service as I know you can set up this on a dreambox.

as said earlier the issue has to lie outside the router as even with the cat5e plugged straight into the lappy the ports are still blocked,on a side note i also tried the DMZ feature on the router and it still shows blocked,should have mentioned earlier that it would be used for set ing up recordings but also watching the recordings if i want,so the dyns and static ip dont matter for what im trying to do

as said earlier the issue has to lie outside the router as even with the cat5e plugged straight into the lappy the ports are still blocked,on a side note i also tried the DMZ feature on the router and it still shows blocked,should have mentioned earlier that it would be used for set ing up recordings but also watching the recordings if i want,so the dyns and static ip dont matter for what im trying to do

if you want to log into the box and create/view recordings, you will need some sort of a static IP address.
    Also, if you wish to stream from a dreambox or similar, you will require a lot of bandwidth unless you stream to a PC first and compress the video down to a more manageable size.

• Advertisement

KBB wrote: »
    if you want to log into the box and create/view recordings, you will need some sort of a static IP address.
    Also, if you wish to stream from a dreambox or similar, you will require a lot of bandwidth unless you stream to a PC first and compress the video down to a more manageable size.

the ip addy of the box is no problem,i can do everything i want on my internal network n problem but if i want to do it from a remote location i need to have a port open hence why i started this thread to see if there was any other wts users on here to find out if they have had similar issues

the ip addy of the box is no problem,i can do everything i want on my internal network n problem but if i want to do it from a remote location i need to have a port open hence why i started this thread to see if there was any other wts users on here to find out if they have had similar issues

If you want to access a network device remotely, then you need either a static IP address or a subscription to some sort of a dynamic dns service.

You need to take some time out and google what a static ip address is and what it is required for.
    You are accessing it on your internal LAN which uses private IP addresses.

im aware of all that kbb,i had all this working fine with my last isp,this is purely in relation to the ports being blocked nothing else,cheers anyway though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MivecSocky

I rang them today and was told there was a power issue local to the my cell, from this thread it seems more than that tho?

I rang again this evening and advised him it appears to be a DNS issue (my pc which connected at the time the issue was 'resolved' this evening is able to tracert to google and its IP, all other systems on my connection connected since are only able to tracert to google's ip and I can't browse / use updates)

Same happened yesterday and when I took the main eth feed from my router to my laptop to eliminate my router I got same issue (could trace to the IP but not the domain), plugged the feed back into my router to find nothing could resolve to a domain :mad:

Going on since sunday, to be fair tho John has been pleasant on the phone and is aware of the issue and working on it - I've had my run in's in the past with WTS but for now I'll just say these things happen just hope they get their head around it asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MivecSocky

Just received a callback from them there and we figured out it was a DNS issue - my router didn't have any DNS servers stored, updated the settings and seems to have resolved it. Odd how its worked all along though.

Anyways, issue resolved for me :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement