Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interviews for documentarys

Options
  • 03-03-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

How do people here edit interviews? do they listen and cut out the bad parts? or do they transcribe the whole interview?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Surly

Personally I never bother with transcription, bit of a waste of time.

As you mention, I do a first run lopping out all the stuff you know you're not going to use. After that you can use subclips/locators/markers to keep the various segments organised, then it's just a matter of honing everything down to fit your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Surly wrote: »
    Personally I never bother with transcription, bit of a waste of time.

It really depends what you're cutting. If it's a large project with a lot of interviews then transcribing will serve you very very well indeed. Take it from someone who has spent hours trawling through interviews for a specific phrase because the director didn't get anyone to transcribe the interviews thinking it "a waste of time."

Take it from someone who has spent hours trawling through interviews for a specific phrase because the director didn't get anyone to transcribe the interviews thinking it "a waste of time."

... versus the countless hours spent actually transcribing the interviews?

Each to his own, but to me it's an inefficient use of time and something that often isn't necessary if you catalogue the footage properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Surly wrote: »
    ... versus the countless hours spent actually transcribing the interviews?

Each to his own, but to me it's an inefficient use of time and something that often isn't necessary if you catalogue the footage properly.

That's why God gave us assistants.

I don't know where you're getting 'countless hours' though. Sure it takes time but if you're cutting a feature documentary and need to be able to find exactly where a subject says something specific then having the interview transcribed saves you a lot of time. And considering an edit suite and an editor costs far more than a PA then it saves both time and money in the long run.

If it's a smaller project though then obviously that changes.

Having somebody else do the work for you changes things of course.

As to the 'countless hours', the 12 hours of interviews I'm cutting down at the minute would take me somewhere between 15 and 20 hours to transcribe, time I'd prefer to spend actually editing. I honestly doubt that not having a transcription of these interviews is going to slow me down to the extent where I lose 15-20 hours.

Unfortunately I don't have an assistant on this particular job and I'd venture that the OP probably didn't have the help of an assistant in mind either, but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement