Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City has most unmarried mothers in SE region

• 03-03-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/city-has-most-unmarried-mothers-in-se-region/
    In the South East region, Waterford city had the highest number of unmarried women who gave birth to babies in the second quarter of 2010, according to the latest figures released by the Central Statistics Office. However, almost half of those women were in full-time relationships and were living at the same address as the father of their children.
    In Waterford City, a total of 236 children were born during April, May and June of last year and 56 per cent of those were born to married women. Unmarried women accounted for 44 per cent although 21 per cent were living with their partners.

Is this for real??? Can't believe this would be considered newsworthy at all.... Who gives a flying **** in this day and age???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Im sure this percentage must be falling consistently since Beyonce's "Single Ladies" campaign.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

beegirl wrote: »
    http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/city-has-most-unmarried-mothers-in-se-region/

Is this for real??? Can't believe this would be considered newsworthy at all.... Who gives a flying **** in this day and age???

+1

Sweet Jesus I cringe to think that things like that even enter peoples heads anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Not a bad career move for some of them!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The generosity of the state towards them makes having kids more beneficial than doing a 9 to 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well Waterford would have the largest population... stupid article.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

They all came across the bridge. There's only 1 unmarried mother in waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

ziedth wrote: »
    +1

Sweet Jesus I cringe to think that things like that even enter peoples heads anymore.

I suppose it depends on how many of them are living with the childs father but still claiming lone parents allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Now, i'm an unmarried mother... but not a lone parent, I presume your making no distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I'd say thats that newportwx again, a powerful man according to himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I suppose it depends on how many of them are living with the childs father but still claiming lone parents allowance.

Two of my best friends just had a little girl but i'd say they pull in the bones of 80k between them and own a house together. should they counted in this statistic? if they were getting at waterford has the highest percentage of lone parents claiming benefits i'd say that maybe it could be news worthy but to glance at that it appears to be a social statement or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Yes socially people get what they are entitled to, its their business can't see the pint of that article

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

JPA wrote: »
    Well Waterford would have the largest population... stupid article.
    done on per centage. population nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

The article didn't say anything about claiming allowances, strange how many people here mentioned them! Is there a perception that being unmarried is some kind of ploy to get allowances - this maybe true of a few but the vast majority of my friends who have kids are unmarried but live together - and therefore don't claim anything. Why would statistics on these people ("regular" couples who just happen to be unmarried) be anything to write home about? let alone headlining on the munster express website lol :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

beegirl wrote: »

Well, obviously you were interested in the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

dayshah wrote: »
    Well, obviously you were interested in the article.

Hah! Touche ;-)

Advertisement