Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke (Ming) Flanagan performance on Newstalk

Options
  • 03-03-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Is this interview an omen of what to expect from our 31st Dail? With the opportiunity to justify the choice of his electors, the Deputy from Roscommon/S Leitrim was a disgrce. Showed himself to be totally unprofessional and out of his depth. Any challenge to his grasp on what his role as an independant TD would be was met with heavily defensive attack. His position appears indefensible. May employ his time better at full time fund-raising for local playgrounds. Dail Eirann, facing the present condition which needs to be addressed has no room for well-meaning thickheads. Header.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wellsir

yes and people say these indepenedents will be a breath of fresh air.....my arse they will...most of em haven't got a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Looks like there will be a lot of one term independent deputies.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I thought he was fantastic. Way to rubbish the democratic will of the people OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

tracking wrote: »
    Is this interview an omen of what to expect from our 31st Dail? With the opportiunity to justify the choice of his electors, the Deputy from Roscommon/S Leitrim was a disgrce. Showed himself to be totally unprofessional and out of his depth. Any challenge to his grasp on what his role as an independant TD would be was met with heavily defensive attack. His position appears indefensible. May employ his time better at full time fund-raising for local playgrounds. Dail Eirann, facing the present condition which needs to be addressed has no room for well-meaning thickheads. Header.

you must have heard a different interview to me. as one of his electors I was delighted with him. explain your points a bit better - which of his points did you disagree with?

• Advertisement

Dail Eirann, facing the present condition which needs to be addressed has no room for well-meaning thickheads. Header.

I think you'll find the Dail has been full of well (and not so well) meaning thickheads for years. Luke isn't one of them thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I thought he was excellent - and that other guy was good too. Far better than what we have had up until recently. You prefer "The State is fully funded", "The Cheapest Banking crisis in History" , "The boom is getting boomier", "Einstein developed the theory of evolution" or "The Good Friday Agreement" style of politician ? All of the above were far more nonsensical than any of Ming's statements. Tracking must be a disgruntled FF voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

He's a Buffoon who's way out of his depth, but then there's well over 100 more of his ilk going to be in the 31st dail, as our political class is largely made up largely of low achievers, rather than the brightest and the best, he'll fit in well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tracking

RGDATA! wrote: »
    you must have heard a different interview to me. as one of his electors I was delighted with him. explain your points a bit better - which of his points did you disagree with?

Asked about his choice to elect Taoiseach, cited Mike Wallace. Qualified?

Dail sessions cost approx €2,000 p/min. Where €47,000 p/a goes means nothing.

He got ratty when asked of the briefing session for new Deputies. Shows he is lost as to procedure.

Nothing to shed light on the problems we have, (spend cuts, rising unemployment meaning less revenue etc.) let alone how he as an independant could be part of a solution.

Can only feel disallusioned, better men than him have tried and given up. He aught do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tracking

professore wrote: »
    I thought he was excellent - and that other guy was good too. Far better than what we have had up until recently. You prefer "The State is fully funded", "The Cheapest Banking crisis in History" , "The boom is getting boomier", "Einstein developed the theory of evolution" or "The Good Friday Agreement" style of politician ? All of the above were far more nonsensical than any of Ming's statements. Tracking must be a disgruntled FF voter.

A worried voter who does not support FF. Disgruntled about the lack of inspiration that deluges such as we are in often does produce.

eg Ghandi, Mandela, Collins, King

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

He strikes me as a bright, open-minded man, untainted by the party political system. If he reflected our electorate, this would be one of the best-run countries in the world. Unfortunately the Irish electorate prefer easy answers and populism from Fianna Failure.

Dail sessions cost approx €2,000 p/min. Where €47,000 p/a goes means nothing.

if you're referring to his self-imposed pay cut - it's pretty obviously a principle thing rather than a contention that €47k or whatever is a drop in the ocean.
    Actually a lot of voters really respect that principle. We've had people in office riding the tax payer for years. Individually the amounts involved are just a drop in the ocean against our debt, but they still disgust disgust people
    He got ratty when asked of the briefing session for new Deputies. Shows he is lost as to procedure.

honestly didn't hear this piece because what was posted on the newstalk site stopped short of here. however, he wouldn't be the first new TD not to be completely au fait with dail procedures.
    What he does know a lot about is how county council works having served on one for some years. I guarantee you he could tell you a lot about procedures there and he will be up to speed pretty quickly in Dail Eireann.
    In fact he has some excellent ideas about local govt reform which he expressed on Newstalk yesterday, I don't know if you caught those
    Nothing to shed light on the problems we have, (spend cuts, rising unemployment meaning less revenue etc.) let alone how he as an independant could be part of a solution.
    simply not true, unless maybe you missed the start of the interview
    Can only feel disallusioned, better men than him have tried and given up. He aught do the same.

this annoys me more than anything else you said.
    you're like Ivan Yeates in that interview - there's no point in even trying lads. give up. I think its a disgusting, cynical attitude, but you're entitled to it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Inquitus wrote: »
    He's a Buffoon who's way out of his depth, but then there's well over 100 more of his ilk going to be in the 31st dail, as our political class is largely made up largely of low achievers, rather than the brightest and the best, he'll fit in well.

Ah FFS the brightest and the best rarely enter politics anywhere.

The other day I heard someone debate this with I think Stephen Donnelly or even Ming about how come so few engineers and scientists are in the Dáil or indeed in politics worldwide.

Get this they are usually not the type of people that like ar** licking, pretending to be nice to everyone and actually interested in people.
    Added to that in Ireland these people do not have the time that teachers, public servants and self employed solicitors have to build a political career.

Look at the Dail.
    People always claim it is made up of teachers and farmers when in fact it also usually has high number of solicitors/baristers, public servants, union reps and a few doctors.
    The nearest thing to an engineer in the place is an engineering technican (who falsely claimed he was a fully qualified engineer) and an architect.

How many entrepreneurs have we in the Dáil, how many have we ever had leading the country ?
    Only one I can think of is albert reynolds.

Does anyone seriously think someone like Michael O'Leary would ever have got anywhere in politics ?
    Would Denis O'Brien, Edward Haughey, Tony Ryan, Morgan Kelly, or Gerry Robinson have got anywhere in politics ?
    A worried voter who does not support FF. Disgruntled about the lack of inspiration that deluges such as we are in often does produce.

Eh how many of these type of people actually come to the fore in any country ?
    How many Ghandis or Mandelas have there been in the last 100 years ?
    Who has there been in the US since King in the 60s ?

BTW you can't compare what these men faced with what we now face.

You appear to be looking for some Moses type character on what you are saying above.
    You want these people to have the answers.
    Well sorry to disappoint you they don't and get this neither do all the experts.
    You have experts now coming out with bright ideas, but some of them actually said nothing 3 or 4 years ago.
    AFAIK the much vbaunted Brian Lucey would be one of these.

Some of them of course did and they got to become objects of ridicule to a majority of the people.
    And please don't tell me that David Mc Williams was not seen as a whinger by a big chunk of our population and not just one b ahern.

On Newstalk interview I didn't think he was as good as he normally can be.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Concerning the independents I know they have little or no talk time in Dail sessions what committees can they sit on or is it a case of what party membership card you have? thanks in advance need to update my knowledge in reference to that and plus I want to have hard facts why not to vote independents in:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

gcgirl wrote: »
    Concerning the independents I know they have little or no talk time in Dail sessions what committees can they sit on or is it a case of what party membership card you have? thanks in advance need to update my knowledge in reference to that and plus I want to have hard facts why not to vote independents in:)

A few of them (7 or more) will likely form a techcincal group to ensure they get more speaking time in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Im wondering if people have any problem with him smoking pot?

He is going to the Dail to make new laws and yet has no problems breaking laws that he doesnt agree with. Something seems a bit off here????

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

A few of them (7 or more) will likely form a techcincal group to ensure they get more speaking time in the Dail.

But other than that they are limited :) to an party td ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Im wondering if people have any problem with him smoking pot?

He is going to the Dail to make new laws and yet has no problems breaking laws that he doesnt agree with. Something seems a bit off here????

When there is a law that is unjust, it is our moral duty to disobey it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

He was good and bad in patches. Jebus, did he ever get defensive at one point though :eek: and thick along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 effemall

you are referring to these people as having a "lack of inspiration"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Hendrixfan

Your a disgrace to be honest, you've branded Ming to be an out of depth unprofessional thickhead disgrace holding an indefensible position. Based on what? A few mins of Ming talking over the radio.

Ming was elected by the people of Roscommon-Sth Leitrim, I'll be taking their word over yours, they know him better.

There actually needs to be 10 for a technical group this time as it must compose more than half of the independents.

As for Ming,I heard him on newstalk yesterday and thought he was quite good.
    Plain speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

professore wrote: »

I dont agree with Trackings point re Ming but accusing someone of being a FF supporter just because you disagree with them is lame and unfair. Attack the post etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

There actually needs to be 10 for a technical group this time as it must compose more than half of the independents.

As for Ming,I heard him on newstalk yesterday and thought he was quite good.
    Plain speaking.

He was good on the John Murray show also. Made some excellent points about the prison service, social policy, his views on Cannabis (Murray insisted).

Showed a greta deal of with and intelligence for the lighter side of the interview. He is not your average middle aged, farmer/teacher/solicitor TD with the wife minding the children at home that is the standard.

Change is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

T runner wrote: »
    He is not your average middle aged, farmer/teacher/solicitor TD with the wife minding the children at home that is the standard.

He's married with two children . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

T runner wrote: »
    He was good on the John Murray show also. Made some excellent points about the prison service, social policy, his views on Cannabis (Murray insisted).

I thought he was very good on this show. I couldn't stop laughing when he said there is several million euro of cannabis being smoked in Ireland and he wasn't smoking it all himself and suggested there are more TD's than himself smoking it and suggested to Murray that there was plenty of radio presenters smoking it as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Heard it - he did OK, if a little too raw!

Anyway, Yates is threatened by people who are now being elected outside of the FF/FG/LAB consensus. Apparent too in his questioning to Donnelly, who seems to be a slick operator more than Ming.

Himself and others are going to get under the skin of more establishment presenters in the next few years. About time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I didn't hear the Newstalk interview but was very impressed with him on John Murray show on RTE. I accept that I am biased, as I am from Roscommon - although I vote in Dublin.

However a few people commented on how impressed they were by his performance in that interview - John Murray. It was quite a long interview and covered a fair bit of ground.

As someone else said - the people of Roscommon can best judge him and his suitability - and they have voted confidence in him. Give the guy a chance - he isn't claiming to be the saviour of the world, just one of the 3 TDs for Roscommon/South Leitrim doing his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

RGDATA! wrote: »
    if you're referring to his self-imposed pay cut - it's pretty obviously a principle thing

Actually this rather irks me, as it has for other politicians who have done the same.

He is NOT taking any pay-cut. He is taking his full salary, and then donating half of it to projects in his constituency. In particular he mentioned putting a roof on some local swimming pool. Now these may be worthwhile projects, but no matter how well-intentioned he sees this, I see it as blatant electioneering. In 5 years he can ask nicely for votes from those people who benefit from the approx €250k he will have contributed.

I accept there are 2 ways of looking at that, but you will have to forgive me for taking the rather more cynical view.

ix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

im listening to the podcast - he's coming across quite well and everyone else on the show seems to think he's talking sense

Advertisement