Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke (Ming) Flanagan performance on Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

granted - it may well be the wrong interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

maccored wrote: »
    im listening to the podcast - he's coming across quite well and everyone else on the show seems to think he's talking sense

I listened myself and i agree he came across well.
    Some shite being spouted on this thread.

Here is the link out of courtesy ......... http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/programmes/all-programmes/breakfast/luke-ming-flanagan-on-breakfasts-political-panel/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i thought chris donoghue came out of it pretty bad. came across as a city slicker trying to get the better of a country bumpkin and tried to rise him when it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

If anyone came out bad in it it's Ivan Yeates imho.

He's all for the "idealism,the commitment and freshness"

Basically all for talking **** and doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yeates is for the establishment. He's challenged by these young men coming along with fresh ideas.

Dail reform please.

Hell, failing that, Ming and Stephen should start a party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

tracking wrote: »
    Is this interview an omen of what to expect from our 31st Dail? With the opportiunity to justify the choice of his electors, the Deputy from Roscommon/S Leitrim was a disgrce. Showed himself to be totally unprofessional and out of his depth. Any challenge to his grasp on what his role as an independant TD would be was met with heavily defensive attack. His position appears indefensible. May employ his time better at full time fund-raising for local playgrounds. Dail Eirann, facing the present condition which needs to be addressed has no room for well-meaning thickheads. Header.

Because Michael Finneran was SO much better, obviously. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Listened to it there and I found nothing wanting from Ming. He is full of energy and his drive is for all to see but sure keep on sneering cause that it what we need to get out of this mess. More sneering!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

jank wrote: »
    ....but sure keep on sneering cause that it what we need to get out of this mess. More sneering!:rolleyes:

These spiteful comments are mostly from butthurt Fianna Fáil supporters, you see it every time FF loses power.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

wow sierra wrote: »
    I didn't hear the Newstalk interview but was very impressed with him on John Murray show on RTE. I accept that I am biased, as I am from Roscommon - although I vote in Dublin.

However a few people commented on how impressed they were by his performance in that interview - John Murray. It was quite a long interview and covered a fair bit of ground.

As someone else said - the people of Roscommon can best judge him and his suitability - and they have voted confidence in him. Give the guy a chance - he isn't claiming to be the saviour of the world, just one of the 3 TDs for Roscommon/South Leitrim doing his best.

I thought he was much much better on RTE than Newstalk.
    He got caught out on Newstalk when they asked him what about the leaders allowance and would he forego that as well as half his salary.
    Then he started on about Mick Wallace.
    He appeared to be losing the rag a little.

He was much better on RTE and more back to what I would normally expect from him.
    ixtlan wrote: »
    Actually this rather irks me, as it has for other politicians who have done the same.

He is NOT taking any pay-cut. He is taking his full salary, and then donating half of it to projects in his constituency. In particular he mentioned putting a roof on some local swimming pool. Now these may be worthwhile projects, but no matter how well-intentioned he sees this, I see it as blatant electioneering. In 5 years he can ask nicely for votes from those people who benefit from the approx €250k he will have contributed.

No AFAIK he said he would seriously think about giving the half back to the state if they were just going to waste it on banks, etc.
    He would donate it to local causes.

It might be called electioneering, but I think it might actually do a lot more for people if he donated it do local causes than give it back to civil servants to blow as usual.

AFAIK one Michael D Higgins did that with his severance package.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Byron85 wrote: »

I say fair play, I know my area could do with that money to provide more/fix existing facilities and I doubt our elected TD will be doing the same

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Byron85 wrote: »

As long as that's an after tax donation personally made by him after receiving such salary and not directly given off without attracting PAYE and PRSI etc that's fine.

Somehow I doubt it will be though...

As long as that's an after tax donation personally made by him after receiving such salary and not directly given off without attracting PAYE and PRSI etc that's fine.

Somehow I doubt it will be though...

Why's that ?
    If the guy is giving up half his salary voluntarily as he has done as a councillor I don't see why he shouldn't be able to decide himself how to do it. I actually agree with him in not giving it back to the exchequer - it would only be squandered on the banks.

Fair play to him.

Seriously if Ming and Stephen started a party I would join it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I think even the fact that he got elected shows the people of Roscommons gloves are coming off. He always comes across well whenever I hear him speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why's that ?
    If the guy is giving up half his salary voluntarily as he has done as a councillor I don't see why he shouldn't be able to decide himself how to do it. I actually agree with him in not giving it back to the exchequer - it would only be squandered on the banks.

Fair play to him.

its about 47k say he's giving up. If he takes this as salary and pays PAYE PRSI etc on it the gov will get 51% of it back and he can do whatever the hell he likes with the rest, where as if he's "giving it up" and donating it locally pre tax it's costing us all even more money to fund him...

Small beans at the end of the day but it smacks of a sneaky way to get more money locally while appearing to sacrifice you salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I think there may be some confusion around this interview.
    There were two parts separated by an ad break.
    You have to click onto Wednesday, part 4, most the way through the stream to hear it. Its the part when they talk about what their pay and entitlements are.

For the first half I thought he handled himself very well. Going in green with high hopes, and I think fair play - why settle for the established way when it is so obviously broken.
    Yates came across very badly in that - he knows the formalities and tried to make Luke look foolish because he doesn't know the small details that are not that relevant.
    Yates was so obsvious in his lack of repect for Flanagan and total respect for Donnelly.

However, in the second half of the interview, Flanagan sounded like a fool. He let the simplest of things get to him and that make him completely ineffective in sounding reasonable. Politics is all about convincing others of your argument, and if this is how he behaves when he doesn't get his way, he has no chance in politics.
    The question over if they received a briefing was met with such hostility and he used the total crap argument of "I was democratically elected by blah blah blah".
    How crazy was it to suggest Mick Wallace as someone who would be good enough to run the country. What? Just because he wears pink, looks scruffy and looks like someone you could have a bit of craic with?

If this is how he normally behaves, he will not last long in the Dail and I think the people he represents will be better off with someone different.

Of and of course, openly admitting to breaking the law - what kind of example does that set - he obviously thinks its okay to break certain laws. Fool!

lol just realised I know one of the people who commented on the newstalk website
    Maceface wrote:
    You have to click onto Wednesday, part 4, most the way through the stream to hear it. Its the part when they talk about what their pay and entitlements are.
    Err where is that now ? Can't find it anywhere. Can you post the link ? Yes I think I've only heard the part before the break

MaceFace wrote: »

Of and of course, openly admitting to breaking the law - what kind of example does that set - he obviously thinks its okay to break certain laws. Fool!

To quote the man himself....

“Was David Norris not breaking the law by having homosexual sex back when it was illegal?
    Or the TDs who used condoms when they were illegal?"

mikom wrote: »

“Was David Norris not breaking the law by having homosexual sex back when it was illegal?

Good point.

Quite apart from anything else, Ming is 100% correct when he says that the illegality of drugs drives money into the hands of criminals (hmmm which prompts me to wonder where Ming gets his). But the point is - decriminlaisation and indeed regulation of some drugs is a necessary debate in this country for a multitude of reasons. If it takes a potsmoking TD to do it then fair enough. I would much rather have this TD breaking hash laws, then the last crowd and their brown envelopes and corruption.

• Advertisement

Good point.

Quite apart from anything else, Ming is 100% correct when he says that the illegality of drugs drives money into the hands of criminals (hmmm which prompts me to wonder where Ming gets his). .

http://www.thejournal.ie/td-ming-says-he-grows-his-own-cannabis-and-doesnt-plan-on-stopping-2011-3/

NEW INDEPENDENT TD Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan says he still grows his own cannabis and has no intention of stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I don't know what his problem with Chris O'Donoghue is but he came across as a petulant, obstreperous dick to me.

lol just realised I know one of the people who commented on the newstalk website

Err where is that now ? Can't find it anywhere. Can you post the link ? Yes I think I've only heard the part before the break

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/breakfast/listen-back/
    Click on Wednesday and Part 4, half way through (iirc)

Well I suppose that makes it okay then :rolleyes:

Whatever the argument is about legalising drugs, the simple fact is, if what he says is true, he is breaking the law. For some reason he thinks there are some laws that are okay to break (obviously the ones that suit him).

Well I suppose that makes it okay then :rolleyes:

So you would agree to go along with laws that oppress your human rights?

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I don't know what his problem with Chris O'Donoghue is but he came across as a petulant, obstreperous dick to me.

That little exchage was the most damaging I think as it raises the question of whether he has the personality to be able to deal with people who are trying to wind him up to make him look like a fool.

I predict he will go in to the Dail thinking he is Lord Ming expecting everyone to talk to him and more importantly listen to him. After a few weeks of realising his lot is to be ignored for five years by the main parties he will start crying to the media and then after that doesn't change anything he will just serve his local constituents because he has nothing better to do.

Still, at least he is game for change.

Thanks for the link!
    That little exchage was the most damaging I think as it raises the question of whether he has the personality to be able to deal with people who are trying to wind him up to make him look like a fool.

I predict he will go in to the Dail thinking he is Lord Ming expecting everyone to talk to him and more importantly listen to him. After a few weeks of realising his lot is to be ignored for five years by the main parties he will start crying to the media and then after that doesn't change anything he will just serve his local constituents because he has nothing better to do.

Still, at least he is game for change.

well....sounds entertaining at the very least!!!:D

So you would agree to go along with laws that oppress your human rights?

Oh my good God.
    What are you going on about?

His human rights are being violated because he isn't allowed to grow and smoke a bit of weed?

Oh my good God.
    What are you going on about?

His human rights are being violated because he isn't allowed to grow and smoke a bit of weed?

I was referring to the two earlier examples.
    Good God.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

For the first half I thought he handled himself very well. Going in green with high hopes, and I think fair play - why settle for the established way when it is so obviously broken.
    Yates came across very badly in that - he knows the formalities and tried to make Luke look foolish because he doesn't know the small details that are not that relevant.
    Yates was so obsvious in his lack of repect for Flanagan and total respect for Donnelly.

However, in the second half of the interview, Flanagan sounded like a fool. He let the simplest of things get to him and that make him completely ineffective in sounding reasonable. Politics is all about convincing others of your argument, and if this is how he behaves when he doesn't get his way, he has no chance in politics.
    The question over if they received a briefing was met with such hostility and he used the total crap argument of "I was democratically elected by blah blah blah".
    How crazy was it to suggest Mick Wallace as someone who would be good enough to run the country. What? Just because he wears pink, looks scruffy and looks like someone you could have a bit of craic with?

If this is how he normally behaves, he will not last long in the Dail and I think the people he represents will be better off with someone different.

I havent had a chance to listen to the interview as of yet however I intend to.
    I have been relatively impressed listening to him in other interviews (despite being very aprehensive about the guy when he first came to my attention a number of years ago) He is much more than turf and drugs.

Just to address the point in bold. Politics is still about getting votes from your constituency (despite what we'd like to believe what it is about). Get the votes, get in, try make change from there.
    Flanagan is obviously doing enough to get votes from his constituents. He has been doing a job in the council there for years and obviously gets things done at a local level.

There are far worse "people" that got in this time that wouldnt convince anyone of their position or indeed the correct position to take if they were looking at themselves in the mirror, yet they still got in.

• Advertisement

Ok Maceface listened to the full thing thanks for the link.

The extra bit doesn't really change my opinion. Yes Ming gets a bit touchy and I think the Chris guy was simply badgering him - the pair of them were at it really.

To be honest with you I've seen Ming get more badgered. on the topic of turf cutting he can get very beligerent. Its one topic I disagree with him on. But on the whole I think he's a needed voice in Irish politics - as is Stephen whatshisname.

Advertisement