Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke (Ming) Flanagan performance on Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Just a heads up....... I have heard that Ming will be on The Vincent Browne show on TV3 tonight given the newspaper coverage today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

ixtlan wrote: »
    Actually this rather irks me, as it has for other politicians who have done the same.

He is NOT taking any pay-cut. He is taking his full salary, and then donating half of it to projects in his constituency. In particular he mentioned putting a roof on some local swimming pool. Now these may be worthwhile projects, but no matter how well-intentioned he sees this, I see it as blatant electioneering. In 5 years he can ask nicely for votes from those people who benefit from the approx €250k he will have contributed.

I accept there are 2 ways of looking at that, but you will have to forgive me for taking the rather more cynical view.

ix.
    Im from Roscommon and I dare say I know him better than you. Im quite a cynical person myself but I wouldnt be cycnical when it comes to Ming. In fact, the one thing that bothers me about Ming is why he actually bothers with it all - being in a rural constituency etc... The reality is the lad really strives for the betterment of his constituents.

Also, I remember a few years back he travelled down to Cork to see if it was possible to buy an old wood chip burner to install in that swimming pool.

Electioneering my bollox,

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

He said if he returned that half of his salary to the government they would spend it on bailing out banks. He wants the money to go to his constituents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Inverse to the power of one!

This thread probably represents everything that is wrong with Ireland, TD's in the past take the piss with expenses....rabble...rabble...rabble....nothing done!

A TD gives up half his Salary, eye's are rolled and cynical remarks abound and again nothing done by the moaners.

You'll gladly knock down everything and build nothing....to hell with ye....wallow in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

wellsir wrote: »
    yes and people say these indepenedents will be a breath of fresh air.....my arse they will...most of em haven't got a clue

Unlike the Fianna Fail cabinet for the past 10 years?
    You're right, we need more dossing teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Magi11

I thought he did very well up to the point about choice of Taoiseach. It went a bit downhill from there but I would have to agree with other posters that Yates and Donoghue didn't exactly cover themselves in glory. A learning experience for Ming and listening to the John Murray interview he seems to have learned from it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

tracking wrote: »
    Is this interview an omen of what to expect from our 31st Dail? With the opportiunity to justify the choice of his electors, the Deputy from Roscommon/S Leitrim was a disgrce. Showed himself to be totally unprofessional and out of his depth. Any challenge to his grasp on what his role as an independant TD would be was met with heavily defensive attack. His position appears indefensible. May employ his time better at full time fund-raising for local playgrounds. Dail Eirann, facing the present condition which needs to be addressed has no room for well-meaning thickheads. Header.

Well it really does make you wonder how the human mind works, seems to be a majority think Donohue & Yates were being knobs to him,

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/programmes/all-programmes/breakfast/luke-ming-flanagan-on-breakfasts-political-panel/

And i would have to agree with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Im from Roscommon and I dare say I know him better than you. Im quite a cynical person myself but I wouldnt be cycnical when it comes to Ming. In fact, the one thing that bothers me about Ming is why he actually bothers with it all - being in a rural constituency etc... The reality is the lad really strives for the betterment of his constituents.

Also, I remember a few years back he travelled down to Cork to see if it was possible to buy an old wood chip burner to install in that swimming pool.

Electioneering my bollox,

You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I does sound like buying votes, and if he is (no way in hell am i saying it) he ain't going to cost the state as much as parties did during budget days.... Lynch, McCreavy... .... . Better keep the South Leitrim people happy.

You can be rest assured Ming would not have got within an ass' roar of the Dáil , if the Rossies did not think he was up to the job. Places like Castlerea could do with investment, what harm if he does it. I know its taxpayers money but he is fully entitled to do what he wishes to do with legally earned money. He has got two young children, and like any servant of the state, you would not begrude him of investing his wages directly into his own family. But he promises he won't, he promises that he will pump money into the region instead (with is for the betterment of all, and its now we need it most), thus making sure that he is truely representing his people. I would be shocked that FG/LAB would waste as much money as FF did in good times eg e voting machines, Spire etc. Pitty some TD's did not do a Ming then.

The best of luck to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Well it really does make you wonder how the human mind works, seems to be a majority think Donohue & Yates were being knobs to him,

http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/programmes/all-programmes/breakfast/luke-ming-flanagan-on-breakfasts-political-panel/

And i would have to agree with them.

I have a sneaking regard for Ivan, but he is annoying and is a bit of a knob at times. Sure anyone remember him talking to Man Utd Legend & Propaganda man Paddy Crenrad (sp) about how Ivan taught Sir Fergie was to blame for Man U's money problems (here from a man whose family business, Celtic Bookies went up in smoke). He seems to rile people.

Ming needs to get a very thick skin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

mikom wrote: »
    When there is a law that is unjust, it is our moral duty to disobey it.

Probably much what the crime lords of Dublin think to the law as well, just obey the ones they like.

• Advertisement

Probably much what the crime lords of Dublin think to the law as well, just obey the ones they like.

There's a victim/s in their case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Ah right, so breaking the law is fine if there is no actual victim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Does anyone really believe that there are no health implications of smoking cannabis?
    Who pays to take care of those affected by mental health problems?

MaceFace wrote: »
    Does anyone really believe that there are no health implications of smoking cannabis?

No one at present, as nobody is smoking it due to prohibition........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

No.
    But I believe there are less health implications than there are with alcohol.
    I believe the people who will use it are already smoking it.
    I believe decriminalising it will tak alot of money away from criminals and add it to the states coffers.

No.
    But I believe there are less health implications than there are with alcohol.
    I believe the people who will use it are already smoking it.
    I believe decriminalising it will tak alot of money away from criminals and add it to the states coffers.

Do you have anything to back up your opinion? The problem with alcohol is not the use of it but the abuse. Same may go for cannabis.

To suggest there won't be an increase in consumption if it's legalised is naive. Legalising gives the signal that it is a safe product and will increase availability. How would there not be an uptake in its use?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Do you have anything to back up your opinion? The problem with alcohol is not the use of it but the abuse. Same may go for cannabis.

To suggest there won't be an increase in consumption if it's legalised is naive. Legalising gives the signal that it is a safe product and will increase availability. How would there not be an uptake in its use?

For crying out loud, there are problems associated with almost every substance in this world.......
    The man likes a smoke, so what if it's illegal and don't retort back with some nonsense line like "murder is illegal, would ya mind if he committed that???"

I'd rather him in the Dail with his openess than the sneaky shower of $%£&%'s we've had in the past!!

Just to clear up the issue, I actually haven't heard the interview so cannot comment on what he said or how he said it but I for one am glad to hear he got a bit miffed, belligerent or thick headed...........

And quite frankly, I'm kinda happy that he doesn't know the ins and outs of the Dail or the procedures, makes me feel that he is learning his feet as he goes and what harm of it??

We've had smooth polished politicians in there for too long who have conned the living feckin' daylights outta the country and if the worse that Ming does is get a bit happy with the cannabis, well I'm all for it!!! Chances are after a toot or two he'll be in too much of a happy, glowy space to con us even if he wanted to:D

The discussion is not about cannabis, it's legalisation or even Ming's penchant for a smoke for that matter!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Alastriona73

Speaking as a party supporter rather than a supporter of independents I have to say I am becoming more and more impressed with Luke Ming Flanagan. I completely disagree with him on his views on legalising cannabis (which up until this election was all I knew about him) but I don't agree with my own party on everything either and I find his passion, honesty and straight talking very refreshing. I think he is also a very good speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Hendrixfan wrote: »
    Your a disgrace to be honest, you've branded Ming to be an out of depth unprofessional thickhead disgrace holding an indefensible position. Based on what? A few mins of Ming talking over the radio.

Ming was elected by the people of Roscommon-Sth Leitrim, I'll be taking their word over yours, they know him better.

Sorry to tell you man...

noob flamer troll on boards with 10 posts > people of Roscommon-Sth Leitrim

Welcome to Boards.ie, where the loudest and stupidest are kings!

For crying out loud, there are problems associated with almost every substance in this world.......
    The man likes a smoke, so what if it's illegal and don't retort back with some nonsense line like "murder is illegal, would ya mind if he committed that???"

I'd rather him in the Dail with his openess than the sneaky shower of $%£&%'s we've had in the past!!

Just to clear up the issue, I actually haven't heard the interview so cannot comment on what he said or how he said it but I for one am glad to hear he got a bit miffed, belligerent or thick headed..........

And quite frankly, I'm kinda happy that he doesn't know the ins and outs of the Dail or the procedures, makes me feel that he is learning his feet as he goes and what harm of it??

We've had smooth polished politicians in there for too long who have conned the living feckin' daylights outta the country and if the worse that Ming does is get a bit happy with the cannabis, well I'm all for it!!! Chances are after a toot or two he'll be in too much of a happy, glowy space to con us even if he wanted to:D

The discussion is not about cannabis, it's legalisation or even Ming's penchant for a smoke for that matter!!!

He can't just pick and choose the laws he follows, even if you, me or anyone else thinks they are immoral or unjust. He should live by the same standards as the rest of us have to, and if anyone goes on National TV explaining how they are going to take an illegal substance, I would expect the Gardai to investigate.
    How does he actually get the drugs - does he grow his own, or does he buy it from dealers?

If you have not heard the interview, then I suggest you go back because your talking nonsense. He didn't get miffed because someone was asking about his drug taking or how much expenses he will put in for - he was asked a very simple question about whether they got briefed on what their entitlements were and he got all childish acting like he was a victim of a media campaign to blacken his name. Very poor form that questions his ability when he is up against the wall. He is a public figure now and is accountable to the people of Ireland.

This thread may have started with his performance on Newstalk but it has evolved into the wider issue of him taking drugs and if people are going to comment that there is nothing wrong with that and claims being made, then surely anyone is allowed to ask the poster to back up those claims.

If you have a problem with the off topic posts, then I suggest you report to Mod.

What would be interesting is how many of the people who are defending Ming and his drug use actually use cannabis or support the decriminalisation of it?

What if he said he cheats the welfare system or doesn't bother paying taxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭kippy

He can't just pick and choose the laws he follows, even if you, me or anyone else thinks they are immoral or unjust. He should live by the same standards as the rest of us have to, and if anyone goes on National TV explaining how they are going to take an illegal substance, I would expect the Gardai to investigate.
    How does he actually get the drugs - does he grow his own, or does he buy it from dealers?

If you have not heard the interview, then I suggest you go back because your talking nonsense. He didn't get miffed because someone was asking about his drug taking or how much expenses he will put in for - he was asked a very simple question about whether they got briefed on what their entitlements were and he got all childish acting like he was a victim of a media campaign to blacken his name. Very poor form that questions his ability when he is up against the wall. He is a public figure now and is accountable to the people of Ireland.

This thread may have started with his performance on Newstalk but it has evolved into the wider issue of him taking drugs and if people are going to comment that there is nothing wrong with that and claims being made, then surely anyone is allowed to ask the poster to back up those claims.

If you have a problem with the off topic posts, then I suggest you report to Mod.

What would be interesting is how many of the people who are defending Ming and his drug use actually use cannabis or support the decriminalisation of it?

I don't take illegal drugs, never had and never will. Neither am I for the legislation of any of the currently illegal drugs unless under strictly controlled circumstances.
    I have no links with Luke Flanagan and do not condone his usage of illegal substances - I do believe his comments admitting usage of the drug were fairly stupid to make on a TV show - and may warrant further investigation.
    HOWEVER - It is refreshing to get some serious honesty from an elected representative and with that some very straight talking. At least with him you know exactly where he stands on issues, exactly what he believes in and I don't believe he would ever fail to be anything but truthful.

Now, that doesnt mean he shouldnt be investigated for breaking the laws of the land. But if he gets investigated for it, then so should the likes of all elected representatives over the years who havent been investigated thus far for their part in numerous uninvestigates issues over the years.
    Bertie Ahern, John O Donohoe, Willie O Dea, that senator from Cork, or was it Dublin - and indeed more.

He's independent..... not Fianna Fail.

He's independent..... not Fianna Fail.

He's a politician;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

He's a politician;)

Hmmm.....your first valid point. Touche..... :P

Hmmm.....your first valid point. Touche..... :P

Ouch.
    Allow me then to apologise for dare suggesting a politician be held to the same standards as the lowly subjects they serve :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

tracking wrote: »
    Asked about his choice to elect Taoiseach, cited Mike Wallace. Qualified?

Dail sessions cost approx €2,000 p/min. Where €47,000 p/a goes means nothing.

He got ratty when asked of the briefing session for new Deputies. Shows he is lost as to procedure.

Nothing to shed light on the problems we have, (spend cuts, rising unemployment meaning less revenue etc.) let alone how he as an independant could be part of a solution.

Can only feel disallusioned, better men than him have tried and given up. He aught do the same.

Ming, Wallace etc are merely the Jackie Healy Raes for a new generation.

If ever "same old" applied, it is to them, rather than the mainstream parties.

Then again, most of their ilk tend to represent marginal and forgotten constituencies who tend to become even more marginal and forgotten when they inflict painful TDs like these on the rest of the nation.

shoegirl wrote: »
    Ming, Wallace etc are merely the Jackie Healy Raes for a new generation.

If ever "same old" applied, it is to them, rather than the mainstream parties.

Then again, most of their ilk tend to represent marginal and forgotten constituencies who tend to become even more marginal and forgotten when they inflict painful TDs like these on the rest of the nation.

One thing about these TD's - whatever you think of them - they do plenty to raise the profile of their consistuency - Ming has had more airtime than almost any other no party politician that I have ever seen and the dail less than a week old.
    If you cant spot the difference between Ming, Wallace and MHR then you arent too familiar with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Nobody needs any back up to have an opinion .
    Do you have anything to back up your opinion?

Ming is an uneducated barfing idiot on a big salary elected by a small number in his district and I trust that he will be caught, tried and sentenced to the full extent of the law . Why should the Irish people in other parts of Ireland have to contribute towards his salary.

The smell of burning turf in the town of Castlerea is enough to question the health of the children who live there .

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Nobody needs any back up to have an opinion .

Ming is an uneducated barfing idiot on a big salary elected by a small number in his district and I trust that he will be caught, tried and sentenced to the full extent of the law . Why should the Irish people in other parts of Ireland have to contribute towards his salary.

The smell of burning turf in the town of Castlerea is enough to question the health of the children who live there .
    Have you had a few beers today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

kippy wrote: »
    Have you had a few beers today?

are you doing a survey or a quiz ?

When I wrote my bit about the Ming , I had not had a few beers . Writing this, I have had three and intend to do a few more .

Advertisement