Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

• 03-03-2011 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I know this has nothing to do with careers but i was just wondering, is it allowed that you be suspended in Leaving Cert year now? I was told today that i was being suspended for no uniform? is this allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

You would probably get more replies if you posted this in the leaving cert forum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ciara95 wrote: »
    You would probably get more replies if you posted this in the leaving cert forum

Moved - thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Of course you can be. Although uniform is a pretty feeble reason for suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

No reason why not. You can be expelled too if you push the envelop enough... Some schools will prefer to go down the route of making you stay at home but will allow you sit the LC tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MadKat wrote: »
    I know this has nothing to do with careers but i was just wondering, is it allowed that you be suspended in Leaving Cert year now?
    Why should being in LC year exempt you from disciplinary procedures or the consequences of your own actions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

looking back I nearly wish I was "expelled" for the last month or two of school. I did so much great work at home by myself which school ruined and was a waste at the end (not to say it's not good in other schools, just mine was a waste for me personally)
    one lad was expelled near the end and came out with 15 points ..go figure..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Sure, if you break the rules of course you can. It's your school's decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Is it a straw that broke the camels back situation? Is the person consistently flouting school rules? Then yes, the school is right.

And why on earth would you show up to school with no uniform anyway? That makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I know this has nothing to do with careers but i was just wondering, is it allowed that you be suspended in Leaving Cert year now? I was told today that i was being suspended for no uniform? is this allowed?

Of course it's allowed if it's in your school policy, and why do you think you would be treated any differently because you're a Leaving Cert? As crayolastereo said, why would you even come to school without your uniform?

You've just reminded me that this sort of caper starts up in schools around this time of year - one of my pet hates is Leaving Certs thinking that they don't have to follow school rules anymore just because they are Leaving Certs and then creating a domino effect when younger students see them and think it's OK or cool to imitate their idiotic behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

You can be suspended even expelled from school regardless of what year/situation your in. Can I ask is this the first time you've not worn your uniform and been told this?. I find it hard to believe that the school just decided to suspend you as you did not wear a uniform.. I've worn tracksuit bottoms a couple of times in school but I had a note and nothing was said. Other times I wasn't even spotted without my uniform (over 1000 in the school).. But yeah they can suspend you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MadKat

I always wear my uniform its just that my year were gone to Esker for two days and i couldn't go because i had alot of LCVP to catch up on. Because no one else was in and i was just sitting in the study room all day i didn't think it would be that big of a deal? The vice principle sent me home which was fair but she also wanted to suspend me for it? I had just heard this that you can't get suspended in L.C and i just wanted to see was it true.

I always wear my uniform its just that my year were gone to Esker for two days and i couldn't go because i had alot of LCVP to catch up on. Because no one else was in and i was just sitting in the study room all day i didn't think it would be that big of a deal? The vice principle sent me home which was fair but she also wanted to suspend me for it? I had just heard this that you can't get suspended in L.C and i just wanted to see was it true.

So you were in school and not wearing your uniform. If the rules of the school are that you must wear uniform when at school I really don't see what your problem is. The deputy principal is well within their rights to send you home if that's the rule. What makes you think you're so special that you don't have to follow the rules just because the rest of your class aren't in?

And you're still going on with the 'Leaving Certs can't be suspended'. Of course they can, as you were already told. You broke the school rules and if not wearing uniform is an offence that merits a suspension in your school then you get suspended.

Right OK calm down i was just trying to find out if what i heard was true but it's not. Don't get your nickers in a twist about it!

You asked about this a month ago, were given an answer and you're back again asking. The answer hasn't changed.

Yes thats fair enough but there is no need to be so rude about it!

That wasn't rudeness. That was telling it like it is. If you're going to post on a public forum you may not always like what you are being told

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement