Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreal Engine 3 Screenshots GDC 2011

Options
  • 03-03-2011 5:50pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Epic are showcasing their latest touch ups to the Unreal Engine 3, which now includes DirectX 11 support at GDC 2011 this week. Here are some screenshots from kotaku from a tech trailer which is due out next week.

I don't think it is as impressive as Uniengine, CE3 or Frostbite tech demos but it is certainly a large improvement on the current iteration, and given it is by far and away the most heavily licenced engine it is good to see on going improvement nonethless.

http://uk.kotaku.com/5774861/epic-says-this-is-what-next+gen-should-look-like/gallery/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It must annoy the hell out of Carmack that even today Unreal tech is superior!

I think those shots look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Anyone else wishing Deus Ex or Syndicate had graphics like that (I know Human Revolution is close, but not as pretty).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd love to see the first Deus Ex remade with that UE3 tech demo rendering and lighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Unfortunately, as long as consoles remain as the industry standard and lead platforms, these type of graphics will be no more than tech demos. Sad really, as clearly the latest Nvidia/AMD processors can render such amazing footage.

We will have to wait for new iterations of the Xbox and Playstation before any attempt is made to replicate what was shown at GDC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Liber8or wrote: »
    Unfortunately, as long as consoles remain as the industry standard and lead platforms, these type of graphics will be no more than tech demos. Sad really, as clearly the latest Nvidia/AMD processors can render such amazing footage.

We will have to wait for new iterations of the Xbox and Playstation before any attempt is made to replicate what was shown at GDC.

Tech demos are always like this tho, pushing top of the range hardware to the absolute max. Even if PC was as big as the consoles they wouldn't be putting out games like that because most people wouldnt have the system to run it. Even within the PC gaming community, only a minority have top of the range systems capable of playing at that level of detail smoothly. I remember when HL2 was released, i had a decent enough PC at the time but i had to run it at low settings and be happy with 40/50 FPS, Wasnt for another 2 or 3 years until i bought a new system that i could see what the game was like in maxed out settings and at a 100FPS.

Even still, they've only started to max out the PS3 in the last year. Games like killzone and uncharted 2/3 are pretty impressive for a 5 year old console tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I think the current gen consoles have lasted so long without a hint of any successors is pretty impressive. Games still look amazing on these platforms so nobody is in any rush to wheel out a PS4. Games like Red Dead, where you can just stop for a second and look around at the view, and still be amazed by the scope shows you that. New tech is great to see of course, but we're years away from it being the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Liber8or wrote: »

Well PC wont ever overtake consoles as the main platform but theres usually a nice period of time in between the old gen and before the next gen of consoles gets released, where Devs start pumping out a few top class PC games designed to push the PC and take full advantage of its capabilities, so we may see this stuff around that period, heres hoping.
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Anyone else wishing Deus Ex or Syndicate had graphics like that (I know Human Revolution is close, but not as pretty).

Syndicate, now theres a game I'd love to see a modern version of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sisko wrote: »
    Well PC wont ever overtake consoles as the main platform but theres usually a nice period of time in between the old gen and before the next gen of consoles gets released, where Devs start pumping out a few top class PC games designed to push the PC and take full advantage of its capabilities, so we may see this stuff around that period, heres hoping.

Syndicate, now theres a game I'd love to see a modern version of.

They will also be looking to catch the eye of console developers for the next generation, after all anyone who make licenced game engines will want to be the next Unreal Engine 3.

I expect alot of jostling between contenders such as Unreal, Crytek and Uniengine over the next few years.

And frostbite too maybe?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sisko wrote: »
    And frostbite too maybe?

Most definately if that is a route they go down. I only left them out because I simply don't know if Frostbite is available to third parties or not . idTech5 seems to be ruled out the running as since the takeover Bethesda have made it a condition that they must be the publisher of any game that uses the idTech5 engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nah, Frostbite won't be licenced out to third parties as far as I'm aware.

I'd say the next set of engines to become big, on the consoles at least, will be CryEngine 3 and Unreal Engine 3. Most of the other major engines are all proprietary and unfortunately the likes of Unigine and Unity have yet to attract major developers.

hmmm I see.

Advertisement