Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock ** results ** 2011

• 03-03-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

anyone else doing awful ?! managing D3s and getting a few Es:eek::confused:

UPDATE 25th March:

Ok, I'm assuming ~everyone has finished Mocks by now, and am lifting the embargo on discussion of papers.

If you aren't finished and don't want hints, don't read!!

R.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 imulligan93

dont worry, there only really for timing and that, the hard work will all be done now, in my case im still waiting on my results! did your teachers correct or were they sent off to the companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I came up 300+ points in the real thing. Don't worry about the mocks. They're a load of shite to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Don't worry too much about it, take it as a reason why you should start studying more before the real thing. There's plenty of time left :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    I came up 300+ points in the real thing. Don't worry about the mocks. They're a load of shite to be honest.

couldnt agree more, the way there made out aswell are a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭jimcoolding

I've done appaling in these mocks however I got what I deserved because I put no work so they are an eye opener on what I need to do.

They are not the be all and end all but if these results aren't enough to give you kick up the arse then nothing is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm still doing them, but you've got your results back fairly quick, haven't you??

I don't think they've been too bad.....I doubt I did brilliantly but I don't think I've failed anything. Irish Paper 2 was awful but that was because I did no study whatsoever so it's understandable.

And I disagree that they're a waste of time. We're going to have the course covered anyway, they kinda make you study and I'd rather do a full exam in exam conditions than sit in a class doing endless revision, which I'll probably fall asleep in a lot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

How did ye get on, subject by subject, and/or how many points overall?

and how many points more are you expecting for the real thing?

I havn't got all mine back yet, but i'll share the news when i do :p

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

biology a1
    physics a2
    english a2
    chemistry b1
    maths d1
    german havent got back yet

that leaves me with 420, so with german i will likely end up around 500 points

expecting/hoping around 550

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

Well I don't have English paper 2 back only paper one but I'll just say that then. I did not at all expect these results and nearly fainted when I saw some of them.. All higher by the way

English. 92% A1
    Irish. 85%. A2
    Maths. 97%. A1
    French. 92%. A1
    Accounting. 89%. A2
    Economics. 95%. A1
    Physics. 96%. A1

I also do Japanese outside of school bit I didn't do a mock in it but I be hoping for an A1 in it. It's quite handy. So overall that's 590 depending on english 2.. Sorta sickened considering I was 2 marks off another A1 in accounting but still omfg how the f**ck did I do that???! Was joint for around 550+ in real thing before, I guess I'll be disappointed if I don't do better in real thing now

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

^ wow fair play lads! there pretty savage results

from the study put in i was hoping for around 350 - 400 points

Business (HL) 57%, happy enough considering i thought i failed.
    Biology (HL) 68%, reflects the study i put in.
    Geography (HL) 55%, disaster, underestimated the exam.
    Japanese (HL) 82%, probably my best subject, what i was hoping for.
    English (HL) 63%, again, reflects the study i put in.
    Irish (OL) 44%, delighted! myself and irish dont get along!
    Maths (OL), havnt gotten it back yet but expecting an A1.

I think that adds up to around 390/400, depends on maths.
    looking for 460+ in the actual thing..
    realised what i need to work on, so while im not happy with the individual results im happy knowing what i need to work on etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

ruadhan wrote: »
    Well I don't have English paper 2 back only paper one but I'll just say that then. I did not at all expect these results and nearly fainted when I saw some of them.. All higher by the way

English. 92% A1
    Irish. 85%. A2
    Maths. 97%. A1
    French. 92%. A1
    Accounting. 89%. A2
    Economics. 95%. A1
    Physics. 96%. A1

I also do Japanese outside of school bit I didn't do a mock in it but I be hoping for an A1 in it. It's quite handy. So overall that's 590 depending on english 2.. Sorta sickened considering I was 2 marks off another A1 in accounting but still omfg how the f**ck did I do that???! Was joint for around 550+ in real thing before, I guess I'll be disappointed if I don't do better in real thing now
    Hope you don't mind Ruadhan but can I ask what methods of studying you used for French and Economics?. I would love an A2 in them next year but have no idea how to achieve them what books/revision books etc do you use? Excellent Results btw you should be extremely proud! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

3 subjects marked by my own teachers the rest were sent away
    chemistry c2
    physics d2
    english b2

banking on getting way better in the real thing in my science subjects..must start working before its too late!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭letsbehonest

How long does it take to get the results of the pres back? I did my pres between 14th and the 18th of Feb and 28th Feb to the 4th of March. We used the company Deb! Can anyone tell me how long it will take the results to come back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

How long is a piece of string?

It depends on when your school sent them in, how many schools sent them in before you, i.e. where you are in the queue of papers waiting to be corrected, how many papers are waiting to be corrected, how many correctors they have for each subject, how many papers each corrector is willing to correct each week and also if the correctors get them back to DEB on time to send out to schools when they are due to be sent back.

It could be anything between 2 and 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

A1 in Economics and a distinction in LCVP so far... I wonder what the rest will bring. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

Haven't gotten many back yet. Should get a few back this week.
    89% in Biology (HL)
    68% in Business (HL)

¬.¬ When we got our Business paper back, I was horrified. I'm an A student in Business, always have been.
    Thankfully (sort of) some of my paper was unmarked so that should bump up my grade. There were actually two A4 pages of uncorrected work! :eek: Plus, the SQs had at least one question not on the Business syllabus. The ABQ itself wasn't a great extract. Usually they're teaming with points to reference. This wasn't the case. :/
    I also found, for answers which I had spot on, they were only awarding 12 out of 15, or 18 out of 20. Basically refusing to give the full marks. At the end of the exam, those marks really add up. :mad:
    Anyone else had some horrific Business marking? :confused:

We'll see as the results come back. Usually my Christmas/Summer tests just reach 500 points. I'd be hoping to get 540 in the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭fairyribbon

wow everyone is doing amazing on boards . my exams were sent away but the weren't corrected properly with some students getting 30 out of 25 in some questions:confused: im only tipping on 200 but i failed ...wait for it ...maths ,irish , business and economics .now granted i did no study what so ever but i thought my bulsh1ting ways would secure me a pass like in junior cert . i need 330 for my course but id love to get 400 ...just so I could have a fairly decent leaving cert . is this possible in 3 months do you guys think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

It's very possible fairyribbon if you work for it :) I'm rather disappointed with the results I got back so far. C2 in french, C3 in chemistry, D2 in irish paper 1 and B3 in maths paper 1 (O).
    Have to get 450ish points. So gonna work hard and try push them up in the next few months. A C in irish would be great if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I just scraped a pass at 43%.
    I'm hoping this is because were just finishing the course now because during all the summer tests and christmas tests I got 55%, 60% and all.

Keep in mind this is honours and I did pass science for the Junior Cert.
    So yeah I'm really sad about my result even though my teacher says there is plenty time for improvement and she was happy I didn't fail.

She also said it was because I didn't explain my answers enough and I didn't give enough detail in the long answers. I think I know most of the course material, its justa matter of bringing it all together and structuring my answers properly.

Also I want to convince my mam that I cn really push his grade up for the Leaving Cert because she's the type who believes the mocks is a good indicator of how well you will do. Really I try not to see it that way because the mocks are the time to make mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Have you tried working through all the papers with the marking schemes? Thats really the only way to go about studying biology. I'd say if you did that you can easily push your mark up at least 20%, because biology is just learn and practice subject :)
    Don't worry too much about the mock, it might just have been the paper on the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

To the two of you who are doing Japanese: did you just take it up for the Leaving Cert, without any prior knowledge of the language or did you already have previous experience with the language?

Basically, I'm wondering if it is easy to pick up for somebody with no experience whatsoever of the language?

To the two of you who are doing Japanese: did you just take it up for the Leaving Cert, without any prior knowledge of the language or did you already have previous experience with the language?

Basically, I'm wondering if it is easy to pick up for somebody with no experience whatsoever of the language?

It's a two year course for beginners. You don't need to know anything before you start, youn just need the two years to do the course. There's no junior cert Japanese so it only starts in fifth year

Hope you don't mind Ruadhan but can I ask what methods of studying you used for French and Economics?. I would love an A2 in them next year but have no idea how to achieve them what books/revision books etc do you use? Excellent Results btw you should be extremely proud! :D

What methods.. Ehh good question. Well to be honest for economics I just read over the notes that our teacher gives us and looked through past papers quite a bit. And to test myself the day before I just went through like all the short questions in the exam papers, it's really good for revision.

French.... Hmm. I guess learning a few phrases could be helpful or practicing listening and comprehensions.. I don't think I did a lot for the exam, besides what we generally do in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

ruadhan wrote: »

English. 92% A1
    Irish. 85%. A2
    Maths. 97%. A1
    French. 92%. A1
    Accounting. 89%. A2
    Economics. 95%. A1
    Physics. 96%. A1

Man that's pretty incredible. I didn't even get my maths completely finished, let alone get 97%!! The person who is the best in our class (generally gets in around 95%) was really pissed off too, he thinks he only got around 60%, though he's probably underestimating himself. I'd hope for at least a B but it was a tough enough exam.

And 96% in Physics too??? Wow!

Accounting is the only one I feel confident of an A1 in, I found French easy enough too but still have to do oral and aural so that might bring me down.

Well done anyway!!! If you can get that in the mocks...any improvement at all will basically get you 600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Good so far, 86% in maths (God bless ordinary level) and 84.5% in English... Anyone know if I round that up to an A2 or down?

Not that it matters that much, English is so temperamental and the corrector must have won the lottery the day before because she gave me almost full marks on paper 1, on questions I struggled to think of anything to say... I'd still like to know though. In my mind an A is just 85 and over, but seen people round up half a percent before..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭resistantdoor

njd2010 wrote: »
    Good so far, 86% in maths (God bless ordinary level) and 84.5% in English... Anyone know if I round that up to an A2 or down?

You round up; you got an A2. Well done! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Yay! I've never gotten anywhere near an A in English. Might have to buy my grinds teacher a present for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I got a B3 in the OL French paper. I did get 85% in the aural :D Something tells me the Oral will drag me down terribly :( It's the only one I've gotten back so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

njd2010 wrote: »
    Yay! I've never gotten anywhere near an A in English. Might have to buy my grinds teacher a present for that one.

pretty sure you round down actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

So far (all higher level):
    English 81%
    French 53%
    Biology 41% (Surprised... thought I'd fail.)
    Geography 75% (Absolutely delighted)

Probably don't seem like much to some people but I'm quite proud of myself cause I've had a bad two years. :) Hoping to bring my English and Geography up to As, my French and Biology up to Cs.

Advertisement