Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock ** results ** 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    pretty sure you round down actually

If it's five or higher, you round up? That's what we learned in Maths anyway. Might be different for exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

If it's five or higher, you round up? That's what we learned in Maths anyway. Might be different for exams.

Nope that's right.. You learn that in 3rd class..! :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Well normally 84.5 (as a number) would be rounded up, but as a percentage, I think it just stays where it is.

I'm not sure what the English Paper is marked out of, but let's say it's 600. 84.5% would mean you score 507 marks out of 600. Obviously 507 is just a whole number, and thus isn't rounded at all. 510 marks would be an A, so you can see that you'd need 3 extra marks to make an A.

In reality though, if you were on a borderline grade and the examiner was in anyway decent, he/she would look for those extra few marks. This is where things like rough work, etc., may come in useful (I'm not sure actually how they would look for extra marks, if they bother, though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Well normally 84.5 (as a number) would be rounded up, but as a percentage, I think it just stays where it is.

I'm not sure what the English Paper is marked out of, but let's say it's 600. 84.5% would mean you score 507 marks out of 600. Obviously 507 is just a whole number, and thus isn't rounded at all. 510 marks would be an A, so you can see that you'd need 3 extra marks to make an A.

In reality though, if you were on a borderline grade and the examiner was in anyway decent, he/she would look for those extra few marks. This is where things like rough work, etc., may come in useful (I'm not sure actually how they would look for extra marks, if they bother, though).
    In an English exam all they'd have to do is increase your marks on a question(s). Apparently when you're borderline they either decrease your marks or increase them to keep in line with the bell curve. Obviously this is only for subjects like English or Irish where the Marking schemes are a bit less rigid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

That makes more sense to me than rounding it up. I'm sure it says somewhere in the marking schemes what the deal is. I would have thought even if you got 84.999%, and your examiner wasn't feeling very compassionate that day, you'd just be SOL.

• Advertisement

njd2010 wrote: »
    That makes more sense to me than rounding it up. I'm sure it says somewhere in the marking schemes what the deal is. I would have thought even if you got 84.999%, and your examiner wasn't feeling very compassionate that day, you'd just be SOL.
    Technically speaking 0.99999999999999 (Or numbers to that effect) is equal to 1 so they'd have to mark you up.

Actually getting 84.999999% however is impossible. You'd never get an irrational number like that with the way the marking scheme works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Good so far, 86% in maths (God bless ordinary level) and 84.5% in English... Anyone know if I round that up to an A2 or down?

Not that it matters that much, English is so temperamental and the corrector must have won the lottery the day before because she gave me almost full marks on paper 1, on questions I struggled to think of anything to say... I'd still like to know though. In my mind an A is just 85 and over, but seen people round up half a percent before..

There's no rounding in the LC. There are no percentages either, it's just marks out of total. So if the paper is marked out of 300 and you get 255 (85%) you get an A2. But if you get 254 you get a B1.

Realistically though if you are on 254 the examiner will try and find a mark for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭resistantdoor

Technically speaking 0.99999999999999 (Or numbers to that effect) is equal to 1 so they'd have to mark you up.

Actually getting 84.999999% however is impossible. You'd never get an irrational number like that with the way the marking scheme works.

I think he/she was just figuratively speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

All higher except for maths!

Irish: ? only one left to get
    English: B2..very happy with this, wanted this result in real thing :)
    Maths: (O) A1..doss
    French: C1 69%...very disappointed havent seen script yet but I was hoping to get A2 in real thing..*sniff*:(
    Geography: B3...missed a whole 30 marker, dont know how!:eek: but hope to get A2/A1
    Biology: C1...made so many stupid mistakes, looking for B2/B1
    Chemistry: D1...thought i failed but need to get B3..not very realistic but i'm going to push myself and am now getting grinds:confused:

Overall, with hoping to get around a C1 in Irish, probably will get 425 in mocks
    I'm hoping to get 500/505. Do you think this is realistic?
    I'm putting in loads of effort so hopefully but what do you think? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

All the other honors english classes got their results except ours because our teacher was out today. I was expecting an A1/A2 but now I'm hoping to scrape a C1. The examiner was BRUTAL! She (I'm going to assume it was a she for ease of typing) seemed to favor correct grammar and spelling over quotes. She has commas and fullstops all over tests (where I don't think there should be) and she has stupid things written like, "WRITE QUOTES IN RED PEN". Even though we were told that you're not allowed to quote in red pen because examiners correct in red pen. Also she wrote something like P/A/R at the start of the personal essays (might be some type of format she teaches her class to use or something. Maybe, Point, Something, Response or something like that. But we don't use that in our English class so why is she expecting us to use it?) and she marked lads DOWN for not having a plan written up! I never do plans! I always let the ideas flow as I write. Also, if you had an essay pre-prepared and it came up, you wouldn't need a plan. Its ridiculous to mark down for not having one. Finally, she kept circling words that were crossed out (because they were spelled wrong the first time or something) and wrote "Whats this? Sloppy presentation" even thought in exam conditions, EVERYONE will misspell SOMETHING as they write.
    I'm worried because my writing is AWFUL and I didn't use red pen. If my writing was better though, I really do feel like I have A material down. Hopefully shes not too evil to me :(
    /Rant

• Advertisement

PJelly wrote: »
    All the other honors english classes got their results except ours because our teacher was out today. I was expecting an A1/A2 but now I'm hoping to scrape a C1. The examiner was BRUTAL! She (I'm going to assume it was a she for ease of typing) seemed to favor correct grammar and spelling over quotes. She has commas and fullstops all over tests (where I don't think there should be) and she has stupid things written like, "WRITE QUOTES IN RED PEN". Even though we were told that you're not allowed to quote in red pen because examiners correct in red pen. Also she wrote something like P/A/R at the start of the personal essays (might be some type of format she teaches her class to use or something. Maybe, Point, Something, Response or something like that. But we don't use that in our English class so why is she expecting us to use it?) and she marked lads DOWN for not having a plan written up! I never do plans! I always let the ideas flow as I write. Also, if you had an essay pre-prepared and it came up, you wouldn't need a plan. Its ridiculous to mark down for not having one. Finally, she kept circling words that were crossed out (because they were spelled wrong the first time or something) and wrote "Whats this? Sloppy presentation" even thought in exam conditions, EVERYONE will misspell SOMETHING as they write.
    I'm worried because my writing is AWFUL and I didn't use red pen. If my writing was better though, I really do feel like I have A material down. Hopefully shes not too evil to me :(
    /Rant
    See if you can get your school to send it for remarking if it is. If they can't see if your teacher will mark it properly. The English exam is to examine your level of English. Not your penmanship or agreement with the arbitrarily chosen structures and standards of an examiner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

If mine is below 60-65 tomorrow I'm going to get my teacher to have a look over it. Shes lovely so she wouldn't mind but the other classes teachers... wellll they wouldn't be so willing.

Yeah I totally agree. Though there is probably a line with bad writing, and I probably cross it. Which is why I had to excuse myself in my personal essay. I wrote something like.. "While I admit that my writing is comparable to that of a 6 year old's" while talking about how grammar has gone to the dogs. Also, a feeble attempt to introduce humor :D

Anyway, I definitely will send it to be remarked if its below a C1. My maths was corrected horribly too. The examiner dismissed two whole pages of work as rough work and never corrected it :rolleyes:
    Correcting it pushed me up 2 grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I've gotten 4 back so far but I have a general idea so far as to how I've done.

Basically, I'm absolutely shocked, in a good way.

Biology: 91% A1
    German: 82% B1
    Maths: 78% B2
    Chemistry: 78% B2

All higher level. Irish is my strongest subject and I'm yet to get that back but that should be at least a B2, and at least a B2 in Geography too.
    As for English and Music..... meh.

So that adds up to 500-510ish.

My course is 470, but for guaranteed accommodation and a grant (it's Maynooth!) i need 500. I've already gotten that, so I honestly don't know what to think. I hope the results don't make me lazy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

PJelly wrote: »
    /Rant

What your own teachers told you is correct - do not use red pen on an exam paper.

As regards the grammar and spelling - in fairness, if you are a higher level candidate, errors in grammar and spelling should be few and far between, unless you have an exemption.

There is no requirement for a plan, though learning off essays should be avoided at this level.

**edit** There is still time to do something about your handwriting. It will drive examiners mad if they cannot read your answers. Ten minutes a day 'headline copy' practice and you'd have that sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Tara_Rxxx wrote: »
    All higher except for maths!
    Chemistry: D1...thought i failed but need to get B3..not very realistic but i'm going to push myself and am now getting grinds:confused:

Hey!

I just wanted to say, when I did my mocks two years ago, I barely studied for chemistry. I got a D I think, and I had the same teacher for maths and chemistry. I was dropping down to pass maths, as I didn't need it for my course and it was so time-consuming, but the teacher wanted me to keep up honours maths and drop to pass Chemistry instead. I was shocked:eek: so I told her no way, that I was going down to pass maths and I'd get an A in chemistry in June.

For me, chemistry was the last exam. I had friday afternoon to wednesday afternoon to study. I had already "revised" as in literally read the book from start to finish throughout my other study, but when it came to just having Chemistry to do, I just did exam papers, and marked them using the marking scheme. An awful lot of the questions come up really often and stuff like experiments, if you write them out often enough, just stay in your head.

Anyway, this was definitely the best thing I did, as when I got my results in August I got an A2 :D! So nice proving her wrong!

As for my other mock results, I can't really remember them. I got an A2 in German, A1 in Home Ec I think, A1 in Irish, did crap in Chemistry and Maths, can't really remember English and not a B something in History I think, as we weren't finished the course!

But don't take them too seriously. Some of them are so badly marked its crazy. I got something like 98 out of 100 for my Irish aural and I had so many spelling errors and stuff, it was definitely wrong! There was also a food stain on my script:eek:! The markers in the real thing are much more professional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

C2 in Business. :D Should be able to bring it up to a B when I actually study. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I'm still in limbo for what i want to do next year. My Lowest idea of a course is around 330. Highest is 440. So i really need to decide soon and gear towards what i should be doing. Regardless i want to get around 420/40 as i know i can get that with working on from the Mocks.

Higher
    History 50 Points
    English 50 Points
    Music 65 Points
    Business 70 Points
    Economics Not received ( fearing a fail )
    Ordinary
    Maths 20
    Irish Not Received
    French 40

Currently only have six leaving with 295. French can go up due to Oral.
    Would be expecting if i pass Economics for it to be counted so 40 points gives me around 305/15. Depending on Irish.

I'm pleased to a degree, i studied for some subjects and in most of them i studied different parts well. Many of my teachers have commented on this saying they could see the sections i studied well ( Business had a 45/50 out of 60 in one or two Long questions but 25/30 in others )

I'm optomistic now as thankfully i have started to work a little bit harder. Let's just hope it's not too late, I'm a bit worried but my teachers are stressing that with the effort I've put in it should be a lot better. I'm noticing myself the feeling of good you get when you study hard for something and answer well on it.

Onwards and upwards, to those who say f*ck the mocks they don't mean anything, they do mean something. They give us time management skills ( didn't get to answer on vectors in Maths ) and show us in the aftermath where you are weak at .

295 at the moment i should be disappointed, I'm not thankfully, just encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Hey!

For me, chemistry was the last exam. I had friday afternoon to wednesday afternoon to study. I had already "revised" as in literally read the book from start to finish throughout my other study, but when it came to just having Chemistry to do, I just did exam papers, and marked them using the marking scheme. An awful lot of the questions come up really often and stuff like experiments, if you write them out often enough, just stay in your head.

Anyway, this was definitely the best thing I did, as when I got my results in August I got an A2 :D! So nice proving her wrong!

Thank you! this gives me some encouragement now to prove my teacher wrong too, she believes i'll only get a C2 max. Must go study now to prove her wrong! :D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

History ordinary - B2
    English ordinary - C1
    Business ordinary - C3

Rest of the exams probably wont be back for another few weeks.

I want to get the English up to a b3 at least and history to a b1.

Thing that really annoys me is that the English examiner that corrected my paper seems to have not given a crap. Some places its okay but others, like
    the letter
    , I got really low marks for mechanics (I think thats the one, the spelling etc?) I only got 3 marks even though I'm pretty sure it was all pretty correct. Maybe I'm seeing things wrong, I'm just a bit disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

just got them all back

chem-93
    physics-98
    applied maths-97
    french-87
    spanish-90
    maths-95
    english-60
    pass irish-96

do accounting outside school so didnt do a mock in it
    so worried i wont be able to do as well in june now, people were already expecting 600 and i was hoping to prove them wrong with my mock results? so much pressure!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

Maths - A2
    Business: B1
    English: B3
    French: B3
    Irish: B3 (O)

Waiting on History and Physics. Will probably get a high B or an A in History and I'll be lucky to get a C in Physics.

Some readily identifiable areas that I need to improve in. I'm quite happy that I scored 85%+ in all the questions that I had worked hard to prepare and my overall mark was brought down by the other questions (Such as the Line/Circle/Trig questions on Maths P2 and the composition on English P1). I'm taking that as an indication that if I keep plugging through the courses and get everything revised that I should be fine.

In the real thing I'm aiming for:

History: A1
    Business: A2
    Maths: A2
    English: B1
    French: B2
    Physics: B3
    Irish: B2 (O)

Only need about 420 points but I'm trying to do as well as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

Tara_Rxxx wrote: »
    Thank you! this gives me some encouragement now to prove my teacher wrong too, she believes i'll only get a C2 max. Must go study now to prove her wrong! :D:P

If you haven't already got it, buy the Chemistry revision book by The Celtic Press (Peter Jackson). It's a tiny orange one with "Essentials Unfolded" on the cover.
    I wouldn't normally advise people to get a particular revision book, but this one is so clear and easy to understand. It brought me up from a low B/high C standard in 5th year to A standard now.

Go through your exam paper constantly. Do a chapter from your book, cross reference with your revision book. Write out your own notes of key points etc. Then hit the exam questions.
    Once you get the hang of it, Chemistry is one of the easier subjects to do quite well in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Good so far, 86% in maths (God bless ordinary level) and 84.5% in English... Anyone know if I round that up to an A2 or down?

Not that it matters that much, English is so temperamental and the corrector must have won the lottery the day before because she gave me almost full marks on paper 1, on questions I struggled to think of anything to say... I'd still like to know though. In my mind an A is just 85 and over, but seen people round up half a percent before..

OMG, I got 84.5% in English as well. :p It was 2 marks away from 85 exactly, but my teacher wouldn't round it up, as apparently they wouldn't round it up if it had been the actual LC..? It's an absolute joke tbh. I'd be in mental agony if this happened in August - surely they could have found 2 more marks *somewhere*. :mad: I don't think my examiner tried to find extra marks for me, as there were no crossings out or anything.
    Although I've been hearing that it does get rounded up in the Sciences, and my Irish teacher rounded my 79.7% or whatever up to 80, which just makes the English thing even more annoying.

Can anyone confirm what the deal is with rounding grades up? And how likely is it that an examiner would make an effort to move such a close grade up to an A in the actual LC? Thanks. :)

Violafy wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm what the deal is with rounding grades up? And how likely is it that an examiner would make an effort to move such a close grade up to an A in the actual LC? Thanks. :)
    If they genuinely liked your paper and think you deserved an A and not a B they would definitely find a way to bring you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rage against the leaving

All Higher except Irish:

Maths : 65% C1 70pts
    App Maths : 42% D3 45pts
    English : 31% E 0pts
    French : 38% E 0pts
    Chemistry : 52% D1 55pts
    Business : 71% B3 75 pts
    Geography : 67% C1 70pts
    Irish : 52% D1 15 pts
    LCVP : 89% Distinction 70pts

Thats 385. Aiming for

Maths B1
    App Maths B1
    Business A1
    Geo B1
    Chem B3
    LCVP Distinction
    English C1
    French B1 (ordinary)
    Irish C1

Which is 500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I only have 2 back -
    French (H) 72% - B3 = Absolutely delighted.. Usually average a high D to mid C so this is fantastic for me.
    Irish (H) 39% - E = I usually get D3s but dropped down to ordinary last week so it doesn't matter..! :P Did terribly in Paper 2 though. If I studied a little for that then I would have done better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Haven't got the results yet because the exams only finished today but heard reports from the Maths teachers that, out of all 140 odds students that take pass Maths, only 10 passed paper 1 of the new Project Maths :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hkeane

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    pretty sure you round down actually

They would usualy round up in English (as far as I am aware) as there are no right or wrong answers. In a subject such as Biology (where a simple yes or no question could equal 1%!!)it would be reveiwed to see could they find the little bit extra to push you over.
    The rest of your paper may also have a bearing on how generous the examiner is.

I got 84.5% in English also and it was rounded up.
    The highest I've ever got in English, I also might need to get my grinds teacher a present! Perhaps I had the same examiner as the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

Got my business (HL) back today, I really trully thought I did really bad, but I got 92%! Delighted! Now I really need to keep this up to get the A in the real thing...

Seemingly up to date examples are going to distinct the Cs and As...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

AFAIKR - You can't be rounded up to an A. You have to earn it. That's why you could be stuck at 84.5

Advertisement