Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock ** results ** 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

Only have four results back, happy enough with them considering the work I put in. Will post them if they ever give us our Art, History and English back.

-*Edit*- Make that five, I'll post them Friday even though we were told that our English won't be back for another week because it was so badly corrected that our teacher is getting the papers marked again.
    does ANYBODY know if your not doing french but are doing LCVP french are you eligible to attend a university(UCC,UCD ect..)

I'm almost certain you can't. It wouldn't make sense if you don't do an exam in French. Some specific courses might have exceptions though. :)
    Overall, that brings me to 475 points and im looking for 540-ish in the real thing! What do you think? is it possible?

I'd say it's possible with hard work. :)
    mcon1 wrote: »
    should improve in DCG with the project (40%) being counted in the result...hoping for 530...realistic??

Pretty realistic with some work, especially if you did a good DCG project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Finally got all my mocks back..

I did very little (in most subjects, no) study so am very happy with them (though others would hang their head in shame had they gotten these results).

All higher level:
    English C2 (65points)
    Maths D2 (50p)
    Business B1 (85p)
    Physics C3 (60p)
    French B3 (75p)
    Irish D3 (45p)
    Total points = 380.

I also do Applied Maths but didn't do a mock cause I do it outside of school. I'm now in OL Irish! :D

Maths and Physics are 2 that I did almost no study for so I'm hoping for a big change in those grades in the actual Leaving Cert.

I might get Business rechecked because she just gave the total marks at the end of each question so I don't know why I lost marks and as far as I can see there is no reason in some cases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

English - 76% Highest in my class :eek:

Irish (OL) - 67%. Don't even care. :P

Maths - 59%. I was dead happy to pass, never mind a C!

French - 78% . One of the highest in class. :D Never thought I'd see the day I did well in French, considering the crappy teacher I had for the Junior.

Chemistry - 43%. Delighted to pass. And we all did so badly that our teacher/the other chem teacher/the principal pretty much freaked out. So now we have 2 chem teachers and 3 hour revision sessions on Sat morning for the next 3 weeks! :pac:

Biology - 80%. Meh.

Geography - 70%. They were really badly marked.

Works out at about 425 points. Looks like I'm aiming for 500, but seeing as I pretty much didn't even open a book I'm delighted! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

does ANYBODY know if your not doing french but are doing LCVP french are you eligible to attend a university(UCC,UCD ect..)

I don't know what 'LCVP French' is. Is it a full curriculum with an examination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Finally got all my mocks back..

I did very little (in most subjects, no) study so am very happy with them (though others would hang their head in shame had they gotten these results).

All higher level:
    English C2 (65points)
    Maths D2 (50p)
    Business B1 (85p)
    Physics C3 (60p)
    French B3 (75p)
    Irish D3 (45p)
    Total points = 380.

I also do Applied Maths but didn't do a mock cause I do it outside of school. I'm now in OL Irish! :D

Maths and Physics are 2 that I did almost no study for so I'm hoping for a big change in those grades in the actual Leaving Cert.

I might get Business rechecked because she just gave the total marks at the end of each question so I don't know why I lost marks and as far as I can see there is no reason in some cases!

My physics went up 7% to a C2! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aingel

snicket wrote: »
    history 92%

Can I just ask you how you got that? what do you do? How long are your essays?

I got 51% my only D :( soooooooooo dissappointed. the hightest in our class was a C2. We literally have no idea how to bring our marks up :(:confused:

Damnit, all my mocks won't be back before Wednesday. Still waiting on English and History, but English came back and it was so badly marked that our teacher (and the other higher class's teacher) sent all of the papers back to be redone by someone else. At least they'll be done properly this time. :rolleyes:

*Edit*
    Okey dokey, I'm gonna post my results because I can't be arsed waiting 'til Wednesday! And History is back now.

Irish: (H) 76% B2 80 Want an A1 in June, it's my favourite subject.
    English: (H) Waiting
    Maths: (O) 70% B3 35 Couldn't care less, could get an A in June I think, but I don't want to have to use it for points anyway.
    French: (H) 87% A2 90 Delighted, knew I did well, the paper was ridiculously easy. We didn't do an oral though (unlike for Irish). Hoping for an A1 here too.
    Art: (H) 64% C2 65 Probably what I deserved. Hope I can get a B2 or maybe even a B1, need to work on every aspect (mainly still life).
    History: (H) 55% C3 60
    DCG: (H) 54% D1 55 Not too bad seeing as I only had two weeks of drawing practice before it since 5th Year. And our project wasn't included, convinced I'm getting 40% for that, the teacher pretty much said every page was perfect. Would like an A1 here in June also... Obviously it needs some serious work.

Total: 385
    I need 435 for my course, including a B3 or higher in English. It doesn't look too likely now (I'd need a B1 in English, and I'd be doing well to get 50%, did a terrible essay which was only two pages long, and half finished some of the Paper 2 questions), but I haven't done any study/revision so far. The max I did for the mocks was a bit the night before. I would like to get over 500 points because I think I could with lots of work, and it might get me a scholarship or something. Plus if I change my mind I don't want to have to repeat for a more competitive course. Anyone think I'm deluding myself about what I can get in June? :/

Oh yeah, I didn't get any hints for the mocks either (except for the Art History one, our teacher gave us a few. And for DCG the teacher had to give us loads of hints because we had so little time to prepare for it.)... Just thought I'd add that in there. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ok, I'm assuming ~everyone has finished Mocks by now, and am lifting the embargo on discussion of papers.

If you aren't finished and don't want hints, don't read!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

English H - C3 (58%) - Heartbroken. I'm an A1 student, but had panic attacks during both exams, and didn't finish any one entire question.

Irish H - C1 (69%) - Probably deserved this considering my total neglect of paper 2. Got an A in paper 1 though and Bs in the aural and listening.

Maths O - A2 (87%) - Gotta love pass maths!

French H - B2 - (75%) - Delighted! Want a B1 in June.

Biology H - B1 - (84%) - Happy out with this. Want an A in June.

Home-ec H - D1 (52%) - Timing killed me in this exam. My teacher is at her wits end over me because she's positive I'll get at least a B in June. Need to start training myself!!

Music H - B1 (83%) - My practical brought me up from 66%!:eek: Anyone else doing music, SLOG IT OUT FOR THE PRACTICAL!!!!:D

Overall, that gives me 430 points, and I'm aiming for within the region of 510 - 530. Anyone else think this is possible? Some of my grades don't reflect my actual ability at all. I'm a consistent A student in English and Irish, but I just need to cop myself on in terms of timing and practising exam questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

aingel wrote: »
    Can I just ask you how you got that? what do you do? How long are your essays?

I got 51% my only D :( soooooooooo dissappointed. the hightest in our class was a C2. We literally have no idea how to bring our marks up :(:confused:

Emm I actually have no idea tbh! I knew what document was coming up because we'd only managed to do Coleraine but I hadn't studied any of the questions on the Irish section. Got 85% on the cultural identity question through pure guesswork :P Our teacher gives us great notes though!
    The only tip I have is if the question asks you to compare two things (It was Hitler and Mussolini's rise(s) to power in my mock) make sure you compare them side by side and not have your essay in two halves, I know I used to use loads of marks for things like that.

• Advertisement

snicket wrote: »
    if the question asks you to compare two things ... make sure you compare them side by side and not have your essay in two halves, I know I used to use loads of marks for things like that.

Thanks, I definitely would have had separated them for that kind of question. :rolleyes: Probably did for the mock too... (C3 anseo.) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

_meehan_ wrote: »
    English H - C3 (58%) - Heartbroken. I'm an A1 student, but had panic attacks during both exams, and didn't finish any one entire question.

Irish H - C1 (69%) - Probably deserved this considering my total neglect of paper 2. Got an A in paper 1 though and Bs in the aural and listening.

Maths O - A2 (87%) - Gotta love pass maths!

French H - B2 - (75%) - Delighted! Want a B1 in June.

Biology H - B1 - (84%) - Happy out with this. Want an A in June.

Home-ec H - D1 (52%) - Timing killed me in this exam. My teacher is at her wits end over me because she's positive I'll get at least a B in June. Need to start training myself!!

Music H - B1 (83%) - My practical brought me up from 66%!:eek: Anyone else doing music, SLOG IT OUT FOR THE PRACTICAL!!!!:D

Overall, that gives me 430 points, and I'm aiming for within the region of 510 - 530. Anyone else think this is possible? Some of my grades don't reflect my actual ability at all. I'm a consistent A student in English and Irish, but I just need to cop myself on in terms of timing and practising exam questions.

Could I ask what company your H EC paper was from ? Only 4 passed in our class. Highest was mid fifties, My result was 23 % totally gutted. Did work for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 24 goosey93

was pleasantly surprised with my results in the mocks except chemistry which i failed!

English 72%:- got an A2 in paper 2..paper 1 let me down big time!
    Irish 76%:- included a mock oral which brought me up to a few %
    Maths 71%:- Very happy with this result
    Geography 95%:- hardly studied for it a joke of a subject.
    Business 76%:- Exam was marked very poorly cud have been at least a B1
    Biology 84%:-
    Chemistry 37% :- made a mess of the paper and it was marked poorly. Hopin for a B1 in june. Hoping i can do it considerin i generally got As or Bs in class tests

That gives me 495. Hopefully i can add anoder 60 or 70points to it in june:D Guna hit de books hard over de next couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

Congratulations!Not too shabby :pac: its excellent!!!Any other tips you could give me for Chem?Besides buying that Celtic Cross booklet and exam papers?:) Any advice would be hugely appreciated :D

My own method of studying would be to have a look through the chapter and then the exam papers questions relating to the chapter so I know what things come up frequently etc. Then, hit the book and make out your own notes. I find physically writing out things is a great way to remember them. Include any little bits that are important. :P
    Then do the exam questions relating to the topic. At this stage in the year, try and do them without the book/notes. Correct them according to the marking scheme.
    The chemistry marking scheme is vital. While what you've written as your answer may be perfectly accurate they may be looking for more points, so be honest and give your real mark for the question. I usually find my doing this you may discover that you don't actually know that simple 6 mark definition which you thought you did and things like that. Keep at it! :)
    Chemistry is one of the easier subjects to improve your grade. Just carry on doing your work and you'll be fine :)

Could I ask what company your H EC paper was from ? Only 4 passed in our class. Highest was mid fifties, My result was 23 % totally gutted. Did work for it .

Mine was DEB. We were given questions to do from the Examcraft one as homework and they were deadly!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

English (h) - c1
    Maths (h) - b3
    Irish (o) - b2
    German (o) - d2 :eek:
    Construction (h) - c2
    DCG (h) - a2
    Geography (h) - c2
    LCVP (c) - merit

Have to say I'm sickened with my results. I was going for at least a B in English and Geography, A1s in DCG and Construction and an A in pass Irish.

Thats 415 points + 20 maths bonus pts for UL. 435

Aim for the leaving cert, at least 500 not including bonus pts

No.1 on CAO woodwork and tg teaching in UL, 440

I must say I was most gutted when I got Construction and English back. I honestly thought I got at least a high B as my teacher said he looked over my drawing afterwards. My English teacher took my pre home for recorrecting, they were marked terribly, i came up ten percent initially because the examiner added the marks wrong in paper one, left out my whole question b marks, as he did with many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

425, was hoping for 460 :(

Ran out of time in my best subject, dcg, ended up with a c3 where i would have got a b1/a2 :(

Well i suppose that's what the mocks are for, i've learned my lesson!

Edit: Hey rhunce, thats what i'm hoping to do aswell :) or the engineering one, can't make my mind up yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    MATHS; D1 :mad:

IRISH; A2 (OL)

ENGLISH; B3 :mad:

BUSINESS; A1

GEOGRAPHY; A1

ECONOMICS; A1

FRENCH; C3

POINTS = 490 POINTS, NEED 380!!!!:D
    :O A1's in Geography, Business & Economics! How did you do it? What study techniques did you use, savage results by the way!

Ciano35 wrote: »
    425, was hoping for 460 :(

Ran out of time in my best subject, dcg, ended up with a c3 where i would have got a b1/a2 :(

Well i suppose that's what the mocks are for, i've learned my lesson!

Edit: Hey rhunce, thats what i'm hoping to do aswell :) or the engineering one, can't make my mind up yet..

Check your drawing exam against the marking scheme, if you were expecting that high then i'm sure a lot of it was marked incorrectly. I went up 11% to the A because my short answers were marked completely wrong. Another guy went from a fail to a C! it's worth checking.

Do the construction course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

English
    70 (B3)
    Irish
    82 (B1)
    Maths(OL) -- 66 (C1)
    French
    72 (B3)
    Biology ---- 64 (C2)
    Business --- 79 (B2)
    Geography - 84 (B1)

Total of 465 points! (need 525)
    Slightly worried, is this do-able? I plan on putting in a lot of work!!
    Soooo disappointed with biology, been getting A2's and B1's all year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Mine was DEB. We were given questions to do from the Examcraft one as homework and they were deadly!!:eek:
    oh no ... all hope gone ours was examcraft too:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

I am with you here. I am a consistent A1 student in English. Got a C1 in the mocks. I think I got so overwhelmed by the length of time spent writing and the essay titles - seriously fearing for my grade in June at this stage. Have you got a plan to get your grade up? I seriously need help on this front!

I am with you here. I am a consistent A1 student in English. Got a C1 in the mocks. I think I got so overwhelmed by the length of time spent writing and the essay titles - seriously fearing for my grade in June at this stage. Have you got a plan to get your grade up? I seriously need help on this front!

I'm terrified for June now too, and it was one of my A1 bankers. I feel like everyone is expecting me to get the A1 and the pressure is unbelievable! I just completely broke down and couldn't function once the paper was in front of me.:(
    My plan is to practise practise practise to get my timing bang on. And to ignore everybody's bullsh*t talk about me or anyone else not having to worry about the exam. It's all in my head methinks!

English
    70 (B3)
    Irish
    82 (B1)
    Maths(OL) -- 66 (C1)
    French
    72 (B3)
    Biology ---- 64 (C2)
    Business --- 79 (B2)
    Geography - 84 (B1)

I'm planning on going from 430 to 510-530 and I reckon it's do-able with truck loads of work. You'll be grand!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

Exothermic wrote: »
    My own method of studying would be to have a look through the chapter and then the exam papers questions relating to the chapter so I know what things come up frequently etc. Then, hit the book and make out your own notes. I find physically writing out things is a great way to remember them. Include any little bits that are important. :P
    Then do the exam questions relating to the topic. At this stage in the year, try and do them without the book/notes. Correct them according to the marking scheme.
    The chemistry marking scheme is vital. While what you've written as your answer may be perfectly accurate they may be looking for more points, so be honest and give your real mark for the question. I usually find my doing this you may discover that you don't actually know that simple 6 mark definition which you thought you did and things like that. Keep at it! :)
    Chemistry is one of the easier subjects to improve your grade. Just carry on doing your work and you'll be fine :)

I'm going to give it a lash.Sounds like a fail-proof plan.I found that happened in my mocks...a lot,I might have explained something,and it would be right but I didn't use thoose ''buzz'' words I guess you'd call them! I need a B2 plus so,I better know the marking scheme inside out eh!!Thanks a million for the reply Exothermic!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

English
    70 (B3)
    Irish
    82 (B1)
    Maths(OL) -- 66 (C1)
    French
    72 (B3)
    Biology ---- 64 (C2)
    Business --- 79 (B2)
    Geography - 84 (B1)

Doable is an understatement! No need to worry if you put in some good work.
    i got 450 in my mocks(not including re-corrections) and let me assure you i WILL be getting at least 540 come june! Obviously with a lot of hard work but its possible without a doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

RHunce wrote: »
    Check your drawing exam against the marking scheme, if you were expecting that high then i'm sure a lot of it was marked incorrectly. I went up 11% to the A because my short answers were marked completely wrong. Another guy went from a fail to a C! it's worth checking.

Do the construction course :pac:

Nah it was corrected perfectly, only i ran out of time for the 2 roinn C questions, i did part of the road and didnt even get the structural forms question started :(

Haha ill have a think about it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭unknowntoown

wow i look at everyones grades here and there dissapointed some of you? and you get c's and b's and still end up getting sad over it, what the f.... haha
    anyway ehh
    maths - O - 15 percent , im not stupid i just dont listen in class so have no idea what im doing
    English - H - 56 - not too bad since i didnt study should push it up to a B
    irish - F - 79 - Which doesnt matter anyone could get it without knowning irish
    Geo - H - 32 - Kinda sad about it but some little fecker robbed me book 2 weeks before the exam when we were only moving onto biomes so major loss out there which coulda bumped me up to a D
    History - O - very good at history my favourite subject, havnt got it back yet but i predict a B hopfully an A leaving
    Spanish - O - teacher doesnt teach, we havnt even started our 5th year course yet so nuff said
    Bio - H - not back yet but im predicting a D cause it was extremely hard, hoping for a B for the leaving

at the moment i failed 3 subjects so i envy all of you

RHunce wrote: »
    English (h) - b2
    Maths (h) - b3
    Irish (o) - b2
    German (o) - d2 :eek:
    Construction (h) - c2
    DCG (h) - a2
    Geography (h) - b1
    LCVP (c) - merit

Guessed my own geography pre result, thought I did awful, got it back today, BOOM, B1 and only did half of the geoecology question, delighted.

English was recorrected by two different teachers in my school and I was bumped up to a b2. Still not happy, better than what it was though.:cool:

Thats 445 + 20 UL Bonus pts for maths.. 465

• Advertisement

Still waiting on flippin' English, we did our mocks before the mid-term break too so at this stage it's a bit ridiculous! :mad:

Advertisement