Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock ** results ** 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

(All HL)
    English - B2 (80)
    Irish - Not back.
    Maths - D1 (55)
    French - B3 (75)
    Business - B2 (80)
    Biology - A2 (90)
    Chemistry - A2 (90)
    LCVP - Distinciton (70)

Total: 485 :/
    Words don't describe the disappointment. I thought I'd be at least 500, that's always how my Summer and Christmas exams are.
    In the real thing, I'm aiming for somewhere between 520-540.

I'd be going for A1s in Business, Biology and Chemistry. My Business mock was just a joke.
    French: I don't know what to predict. B1 maybe.
    English: The same as above. A2-B1?
    LCVP: I'll probably end up using my LCVP points. My interview and portfolio are distinction standard and the paper is no bother so that should be sorted.

I'm not sure what to do with Maths and Irish. Maths, I'd like to push up to a C and Irish could be a high C, low B. I don't actually have any requirement to take them at Higher Level for the courses I'm looking at.
    My weak points in Irish are the essays. An Triail and the Paper 1 essay.
    In Maths, I'm just so lazy. I just do nothing and scrape by. I could be doing a lot better but I'm really unmotivated because I probably won't surpass a C1 so I'd be using my LCVP instead. Meh.

Am I being realistic? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Chemistry 97%
    Physics 95%
    Biology 99%
    Maths 95%
    Spanish 73% (woohoo!)
    Irish (pass) 90%
    English 73% (Never write an essay that may offend the religious)
    And applied maths to be done outside school

550 points! Now all I have to do is not **** up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 2517ais

I am with you here. I am a consistent A1 student in English. Got a C1 in the mocks. I think I got so overwhelmed by the length of time spent writing and the essay titles - seriously fearing for my grade in June at this stage. Have you got a plan to get your grade up? I seriously need help on this front!

I am the same....have been gettin a1s/a2s all along and i got a c1 in the pre...and i actually tought i did fine...was marked extremely hard...like literally everyone got 62/100 in the paper1 essay..and 34/50 for the b..! Its really knocked my confidence now :(!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Sparticle wrote: »
    Chemistry 97%
    Physics 95%
    Biology 99%
    Maths 95%
    o_<

95% in Maths and 99% in Biology? Niiiiiiiccceeee.... particularly the maths result.

I got my last result today...

Chemistry A1 - Surprising considering I thought it was my worst ever Chem exam.
    Biology A1
    Engineering A1 - 98% :)
    Business A1 - A miracle. I started Business back in September this year and i've taught myself the subject. Very happy with this but I still need to keep working to maintain the grade.
    English B1 - Reasonably pleased. If I can get this or higher come August, i'll be very happy.
    Francais B2 - Not too happy. I've done quite a lot of work for French this past year and my grade hasn't went up accordingly. If I can get a B1 or better come August i'll be happy. I need to work harder for French.
    Maths C2 - Disappointed... I went down from a B3 and the subject i've been studying for the most the past year is Maths.
    Irish C2 - Very happy with this result. I nearly failed my Xmas exams.

565 points! I'm going to have to put in a lot of effort to maintain that though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

o_<

Chemistry A1 - Surprising considering I thought it was my worst ever Chem exam.
    Biology A1

Originally Posted by Sparticle viewpost.gif
    Chemistry 97%
    Biology 99%

Wow. Congrats on thoose excellent results. Any tips how to get thoose nice shiny A1's?:)

• Advertisement

Chemistry 97%
    Biology 99%

Wow. Congrats on thoose excellent results. Any tips how to get thoose nice shiny A1's?:)

Study well. Be precise in your answers and make your answers as detailed as possible. Even in Biology where people usually have 1:30 hours left after finishing the paper (Well my class always does anyway...) you should strive to write as long and as detailed answers as possible.

As for Chemistry, the best way to learn Chemistry is to truly understand it. Don't just learn off reams of definitions and methods. Learn why and how something works. As for calculations you need to be very systematic in how you approach them. Label everything you do and make it as clear as possible. Always include units of measurement too in your calculations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Chemistry 97%
    Biology 99%

Chemistry:Learning chunks of stuff of by heart may work well but if you take the time to really understand the chemistry involved then you won't be surprised by any question. Do every single question on the paper if you can. There's enough time despite what some might say.

Biology: Same as above. Do every question and understand processes involved. What I found really helped me with Biology was taking a whole day to try and recreate chapters from memory, for example choose a chapter like fungi and just splash down everything you know about fungi onto a page. I find this really reinforces links between information on the course and makes it easier to methodically recall information in the exam. + try and link things you see in everyday life back to biology and chemistry. Helps reinforce what you already know.

I probably sound like a right tool now.

Sparticle wrote: »
    I probably sound like a right tool now.
    When get an average of 98% in Biology and Chem it doesn't matter what you sound like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

Some people are getting such unreal results here, and it's only the mocks! :eek:

Does everyone calculate their points for the summer and winter exams?? I think it's a bit stupid, sure you only get one or two long questions per exam (depending on the subject), and only an hour each for exams. Obviously the points you get would be completely inaccurate and far higher than usual. ;) I've never bothered adding them up before the mocks, seems a bit pointless really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

Some people are getting such unreal results here, and it's only the mocks! :eek:

Does everyone calculate their points for the summer and winter exams?? I think it's a bit stupid, sure you only get one or two long questions per exam (depending on the subject), and only an hour each for exams. Obviously the points you get would be completely inaccurate and far higher than usual. ;) I've never bothered adding them up before the mocks, seems a bit pointless really.

ino its really scaring me !:eek: and im too scared to put my results up coz there **** compared to everyone elses :( i was happy with them seeing i didnt work a bit...but i need to get and extra 120/150 points in my leaving....and im really worried i wont :(

no i didnt bother counting points from summer or xmas either! i agree totally with you there that they be pure inaccurate!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I've gotten all mine back now :)

Biology - 90% - A1
    Irish - 89% - A2
    Geography - 87% - A2
    German - 82% - B1
    Maths - 79% - B2
    Chemistry - 78% - B2
    Music - 65% - C1
    English - 62% - C2

Works out as 525points. I'm delighted, but although I havn't been killing myself with the study, I've been working at a steady pace since the start of 5th year. I need 470 for the real thing, but want over 500 to get a grant/guaranteed acc. Hopefully I'll get over 550 though. That'd be epic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

yeah it's a little silly, but my christmas results (485) were quite close to my
    mock results (505)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 sunnyholly

snicket wrote: »
    history 92%

It seems hardly anyone does history..I got 81 but i knew the document that was coming up!!

Any tips for getting high marks..
    more than 33/4o in essay
    and
    more than 10 in paragraphs

Anyone??:confused:

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    yeah it's a little silly, but my christmas results (485) were quite close to my
    mock results (505)

omg just congrats in doing so well in both of them!! :D
    im hoping to get atleast 480 in real thing...which is waay about my barrier to get but one can always hope :p

brian93 wrote: »
    but want over 500 to get a grant/guaranteed acc. Hopefully I'll get over 550 though. That'd be epic :D

guessing you want to go to maynooth then ?:p
    well best of luck towards getting that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Biology - A1
    English - A2
    Geography - A2
    Home Ec - B1
    German - B1
    Irish - B3
    Maths - B3
    Applied Maths - D1
    525 points
    Enough for the course I want, but I'd like to get higher, for a scholarship.
    Badly need more work on Ap Maths & Maths, I just took them for granted, & it didn't work out! Hopefully should bring a few things up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Maths- B1 (pass though so I'm not counting it)
    Irish- B1
    English-B3 ( really dont know how that happened, normally get As):(
    French- B3
    Biology- A2
    Accounting- B3
    History- A1

That puts me at 500 points I think, which is ok but its still 40 points off what I want, and theres way too many B3s there for my liking :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm sickened with my mocks results. I realise I didn't do much study but some of them were really disappointing.

English- B1 (reasonably happy with this, I might be able to up it to an A1/A2 in the real thing)

Irish- B2 (1% off a B1...considering I made a mess of it really, I have real hopes to get at least an A2 in the real thing. If I get a good oral, it should be possible)

Maths- C1 (not surprising but I'm not all that happy with it. I do think I can get a significant improvement. We're almost done the course now so it's going to be revision from here to the end. Maybe a B2?)

French- B3 (the listening went disgracefully badly when generally I'd be a B/A student in that part. I think an A1 is definitely possible in this subject, the exam is really easy. Just need a good oral)

History- C1 (fuming. This is my best subject and I thought my essays were really good, and I didn't get above 70 in any of them. Even reading back on them, I think there as good as any essays I've ever written which normally receive an A/B. My teacher said they were marked fairly so I don't know what went wrong...)

Accounting- A2 (Almost an A1. This subject is piss easy but not learning all the theory properly cost me an A1. I'll definitely know it by June, so I should be sorted.)

Physics- C2 (Poor. But it was marked terribly. One of my class went up by 16% after getting the teacher to recorrect it. I didn't bother, but looking at my paper...some of the marks were added up wrong, other attempt marks weren't given. Still only gives me a C1 which isn't great, but I'd settle for a B3 in the summer.)

That gives me 470.....which is enough for any course I want to do but really not great considering what I can get. It means I'll actually have to study properly for some subjects if I want an improvement...I'm not worried about getting the points, it's more for my own personal satisfaction and thinking that I did pretty well. I hate getting beaten in anything.....and lots of people got more than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

I'm so annoyed at how crap the mocks were marked.

Irish HL A1 - My whole class except for 4 people who got b1s got either a2s or a1s. i only lost 2 marks on paper 2 and for stair na gaeilge i made up stuff about the gaeltacht cos we haven't finished it yet, and i got 100% in my essay. it was so unrealistic and disappointing because i probably won't get that in june :/ i got 85% in the listening though so i'm going to take that as my real mark.

Accounting HL B3 - worst marked paper ever, we got no marks for workings and my teacher who actually corrects the actual lc papers re-corrected a few peoples and they went up between 10-15%

French HL C1 - meh i hate french the paper was really easy, think i got one of the worst in the class :P but i don't mind because i don't really study french at all, think i'll just do pass.

Maths OL A1 - i just scraped 90% (540/600) i was the only one in my year to get an a1 in pass maths, fairly happy and it was marked properly.

English HL B3 - i actually got a B2 on paper 1 but paper 2 brought me down. bit annoyed i thought i did better on my comparison but obviously not. hopefully will bring it up to a b1 in june.

Business HL b2 - was marked fine hoping for an a in june though, wasn't marked well though

Religion HL c2 - really not happy with this, it was marked craply, i didn't do 1 section which was worth 25% but still not happy. my teacher wrote books for the course and he is probably one of the best teachers in the country but i got an a1 in an essay in class and wrote the same in this and only got a b. it was marked so wrong.

overall kinda annoyed with how everything was marked would have preferred more realistic results but sure!

GOOD LUCK IN ORALS NEXT WEEK EVERYONE :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Higher Level
    English 72% B3 - disappointed. Havent got less than a B1 in English before. It was 2nd highest in the class and corrected by an outside examiner which is making me think that perhaps my teacher just likes me thats why he goves me good marks? :/

Irish 80% B1 - delighted. Have never got better than a C1 in Irish before! I have been spending 80% of my time at Irish though..

French 75% B2 - happy enough. the best in the class and the mock oral wasn't counted (90%)

Geography 79.6% B2 rounded down she's so mean :P - happy seeing as Geog is my worst ever subject and I hate it. Think it might have been marked easy though?

Biology 72% B3 disappointed. want an A1/A2 in the real thing. Was having a bad day the day of the bio exam though

Home Ec 83% - surprised and happy. didn't open a book for it!

Ordinary Level
    Maths 81% - don't care hopefully wont have to count it.

LCVP 78% hate that subject such a waste of time!

TOTAL: 480 happy enough seeing as the only subject I opened a book for was Irish :P (my bad)

would love 530 in the real thing. Do you think its possible?

• Advertisement

Higher Level
    English 72% B3 - disappointed. Havent got less than a B1 in English before. It was 2nd highest in the class and corrected by an outside examiner which is making me think that perhaps my teacher just likes me thats why he goves me good marks? :/

Irish 80% B1 - delighted. Have never got better than a C1 in Irish before! I have been spending 80% of my time at Irish though..

French 75% B2 - happy enough. the best in the class and the mock oral wasn't counted (90%)

Geography 79.6% B2 rounded down she's so mean :P - happy seeing as Geog is my worst ever subject and I hate it. Think it might have been marked easy though?

Biology 72% B3 disappointed. want an A1/A2 in the real thing. Was having a bad day the day of the bio exam though

Home Ec 83% - surprised and happy. didn't open a book for it!

Ordinary Level
    Maths 81% - don't care hopefully wont have to count it.

LCVP 78% hate that subject such a waste of time!

TOTAL: 480 happy enough seeing as the only subject I opened a book for was Irish :P (my bad)

would love 530 in the real thing. Do you think its possible?
    Very possible. You're only 50 points off your target!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

^^ thank you! I really hope so..
    Would love
    English: A2
    Irish: B1
    French: A2
    Geog B1
    Biology: A2
    Home Ec: A2
    =530
    Nervous about them all but esp. english, irish & geog

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

^^ thank you! I really hope so..
    Would love
    English: A2
    Irish: B1
    French: A2
    Geog B1
    Biology: A2
    Home Ec: A2
    =530
    Nervous about them all but esp. english, irish & geog

Yeah thats v possible! :) but if i were you id aim higher because you obviously are capable! My advice, try to bring biology up to an A1 if you can. it would make a massive difference, especially since your aiming for As in two languages which can be very unpredictable! In fact aim for A1s instead of A2s in everything and who knows :p

Irish: (H) 76% B2 80 Want an A1 in June, it's my favourite subject.
    English: (H) 49% D2 50 But on further examination I discovered that I actually got 49.75%, which would be rounded up to a D1. :P Still terrible considering I need at least a B3 for my course.
    Maths: (O) 70% B3 35 Couldn't care less, could get an A in June I think, but I don't want to have to use it for points anyway.
    French: (H) 87% A2 90 Delighted, knew I did well, the paper was ridiculously easy. We didn't do an oral though (unlike for Irish). Hoping for an A1 here too.
    Art: (H) 64% C2 65 Probably what I deserved. Hope I can get a B2 or maybe even a B1, need to work on every aspect (mainly still life).
    History: (H) 55% C3 60
    DCG: (H) 54% D1 55 Not too bad seeing as I only had two weeks of drawing practice before it since 5th Year. And our project wasn't included, convinced I'm getting 40% for that, the teacher pretty much said every page was perfect. Would like an A1 here in June also... Obviously it needs some serious work.

Total: 400 (405 if you want to be picky, but I'll leave it at 400)
    I need 435 for my course, including a B3 or higher in English. I haven't done any study/revision so far so I suppose that's not too shabby considering. The max I did for the mocks was a bit the night before. I would like to get over 500 points because I think I could with lots of work, and it might get me a scholarship or something. Plus if I change my mind I don't want to have to repeat for a more competitive course. Anyone think I'm deluding myself about what I can get in June? :/

Finally got them all back after six and a half weeks! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

English: (H) 49% D2 50 But on further examination I discovered that I actually got 49.75%, which would be rounded up to a D1. :P

I'm sorry but that's still a D2:rolleyes:. Percentages aren't rounded up in the LC i'm afraid :eek:

NotExactly wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's still a D2:rolleyes:. Percentages aren't rounded up in the LC i'm afraid :eek:

I'm almost certain they do but I'm going to call it 49 anyway to make me work a bit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

I'm almost certain they do but I'm going to call it 49 anyway to make me work a bit harder.

no, they dont. lc doesnt even use percentages, it goes by marks. so 359/400 is still an a2, even though it's closer to 90% than it is to 89%

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    no, they dont. lc doesnt even use percentages, it goes by marks. so 359/400 is still an a2, even though it's closer to 90% than it is to 89%

My bad then, thanks peeps. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I got 300 points in the mocks, are those horrible? My older sister got 530 in the real thing, not sure what she got in the mocks but she said that that is not bad at all for mocks and that I should add on about a hundred to that and that would be around what I'll get. What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

300 is the national average, so still good! 530 is very high, but never assume you will automatically go up 100 points. 100 points worth of difference is a lot of study.

Advertisement