Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding out the dvd drive type

Options
  • 03-03-2011 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a problem. I have two xbox's. A regular xbox from like 2008 with a disc tray error, and an elite that works fine. The elite is the console i use the whole time.

Now i recently got rid of the disc drive from the broken xbox. now i want to get a disc drvie for it and give to my brother.

Here is the thing, can i figure out what make of disc drive i need apart from lookin behind the faceplate to see which colour wire is underneath. As i have gotten rid of the disc drive (stupidly) I was wondering if I can determine its make by the serial number of the xbox or anything like that??

Please help, as i would rather not have to buy a load of different disc drives and put them in one by one an see which works. I can't afford that plus it's just plain silly.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

This might be useful to you http://www.360drives.com/list

Problem is though you would have needed to at least extract the key from the circuit board of the old drive in order to put in a new donor drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

And how would i have done that?

Easiest way would have been to open the drive up with a phillips screwdriver and unclip the ribbon cables and desolder the cables attaching the circuit board to the drive then you would have transfered that circuit board into a similar drive.

I'm sorry to say but it's probably to late now since you threw it out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

in the bin it goes :eek::eek::eek::eek:

it's alright i expected as much. prob just as cheap to buy one off ebay anyway with all the work involved to fix the other one up.

Thanks anyway guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

do you know the dashboard number on it it might still be sell-able

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If you've not played the MW2 or a newer game on the busted xbox and haven't hooked it up to Live in that time either you can still get the DVD drive's key by doing a JTAG - The supreme version of the 360 ;)

Don't throw it out

Yes find out the dashboard version it may be jtaggable you can do all sorts of things even recover that lost dvd key

I can et banned for Jtagging it cant i?

massy086 wrote: »
    do you know the dashboard number on it it might still be sell-able

where would i find the dashboard number??

• Advertisement

Go to the Xbox 360 dashboard and scroll right to Console Settings then select System Info to find your dashboard version, should look something like this

2.0.7371 or lower is exploitable with the jtag hack, which means you could recover the original DVD key.

If you have updated to the Kinect dashboard forget about doing any of the above as it won't be exploitable.

i think it updated last time i checked to see if the console still worked so that's that. it dont matter.

Thanks anyway guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You will get banned for going online with a JTAG. But if you JTAG it you can get the DVD drive key you lost when you threw out the broken drive before returning it to stock and updating it.

Advertisement