Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I chatted with ghost of dead president in gaol's museum

Options
  • 03-03-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭

An article in the Herald today.

What do yas think of this?

http://bit.ly/e0D8AI
    THE resident medium of Wicklow's historic gaol has claimed that he came in contact with a deceased president of Ireland.

Dublin native Declan Flynn told the Herald that he had a paranormal encounter with Erskine Childers, who died in 1974 just over a year after taking office.

While the former president did not comment on the result of last week's election, he insisted that he did not want to be forgotten.

Childers asked for his portrait to be restored to its original place of prominence in the gaol, according to Declan, who hopes that he will get another chance to talk with the deceased Fianna Fail politician.

jokers

"In the gaol last week, former president Erskine Childers came through because he was a prisoner in the jail for one night, I think," he told the Herald.

"I wasn't expecting him to come through at all, I was in the museum -- there's one place where we don't normally do anything -- and we [Declan and Wicklow Gaol's staff] felt as if we had to try an experiment.

"I tried to do a little test with the spirit, I had cards and an envelope with 21, 11 and two jokers and I wanted him to bring the glass to where the 21 one was. I got the camera crew that was there to shuffle the cards so I wouldn't know where they would be, but the spirit didn't want to do that. He wanted to get his picture back up on the wall. He told me it was locked away and he brought the glass to where he wanted it to hang up."

Meanwhile, thousands of supernatural enthusiasts applied for an opportunity to engage with the gaol's troubled spirits in the last fortnight.

The haunted site collaborated with Xtra-Vision and Paramount to offer three paranormal fans or sceptics, an overnight ghost hunt for two people at the gaol.

The evening, which will take place in coming months, will be led by Declan Flynn, as well as psychic couple Keith and Angie Freeland.

It will also include a VIP limo pick-up, a gourmet four-course meal at Wicklow Town's Grand Hotel to restore the nerves after the investigation, and finally a night at the 19th century hotel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

publicity = more punters

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

There is a line between an entertainment paranormal tour and blatantly offensive statements regarding deceased Irish statesmen and making a mockery of the location & history. I'm slightly offended by the use of Irish presidents to increase spooky tours for private profit. Slightly sickened by this actually. Send in the OPW and get rid of this tat.

I think the Gaol might be pushing it a bit here to keep visitor figures up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Riamfada wrote: »
    There is a line between an entertainment paranormal tour and blatantly offensive statements regarding deceased Irish statesmen and making a mockery of the location & history. I'm slightly offended by the use of Irish presidents to increase spooky tours for private profit. Slightly sickened by this actually. Send in the OPW and get rid of this tat.

I think the Gaol might be pushing it a bit here to keep visitor figures up.
    I agree with you on this one Riamfada.
    I must say I'm truly sick of hearing about Wicklow Goal in the media, I really am.

And as for the "psychic couple", well..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

I did lol at 'The former president did not comment on the results of last week's election'. You'd think that'd be the first thing on his mind. Timing fail.

And it's a shame too, because if that medium is the same guy that was there when we went, I've drastically changed my opinion of him.

How come no other medium has contacted Erskin Childers there? It is investigated at least once a week by mediums for over 2 years. Or is this a case of the medium using historical knowledge to promote his ability. Is it a case of the last few mediums unaware of Childer's night long stay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

5 years of visiting the Gaol and havent heard his stay mentioned once. Hearing alot of complaints about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Can anyone confirm his stay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Damn, thought this was a Dead Kennedys thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Steve SI wrote: »
    And as for the "psychic couple", well..........

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Hmm. Never heard of this location being haunted...

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Hmm. Never heard of this location being haunted...

Seriously, Wicklow Gaol? Its possibly the most investigated location in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Seriously, Wicklow Gaol? Its possibly the most investigated location in Ireland.
    Oh. I read the article wrong lol.

Hmmm.

Well i remember ghost hunters doing it i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Ok... My opinion, you may not like it, that is completely up to you.

The medium in question is 100% a genuine medium. I trust his ability 100%.

He is a close friend and is also the medium who I do my mediumship development classes with.

If he states that Erskine Childers was there I do not doubt him at all. What you fail to know, as it was not mentioned, is that there was also another medium and a psychic present on the night also. I won't go into that, as it's not in the article but they are also 2 others that I completely trust.

I don't know how many of you know the medium personally, but anyone who has met him, would know, he does not lie, he does not make up things that happen within the gaol and he certainly does not makeup stories to look for publicity. He does not need to do that. He has a great reputaion and would not do anything to ruin it.

@ Whoever said, "As for the psychic couple well?" The couple in question are also good friends of mine, will not mention their names as I can't remember if they were mentioned in the article or not, but they are also genuine, herself is an amazing medium,

Both of them, Declan and herself, I have seen amazing things, time and time again. And alot of you could not be further from the truth with some of your comments.

Also, as for Wicklow being haunted, yes it is, I have seen them for myself.

:D

Thanks for that Ruth, well put.

I think my issue here is that if a medium picks up on something that is sensitive they shouldnt run to the papers with it. Has Erskin Childer's living relatives been informed and approved of the fact that the gaol is saying his spirit haunts the location. I dont know Declan personally but I think its highly irresponsible and sets a precedent for using historical figures in Ireland's troubled past to promote ghost tours.

The first medium who says that Micheal Collins haunts a commercial ghost tour location is going to get my boot planted where the sun dont shine.

Thanks for that Ruth, well put.

I think my issue here is that if a medium picks up on something that is sensitive they shouldnt run to the papers with it. Has Erskin Childer's living relatives been informed and approved of the fact that the gaol is saying his spirit haunts the location. I dont know Declan personally but I think its highly irresponsible and sets a precedent for using historical figures in Ireland's troubled past to promote ghost tours.

The first medium who says that Micheal Collins haunts a commercial ghost tour location is going to get my boot planted where the sun dont shine.

Thank you :D

However, I don't think people are aware, that no medium that was there that night went running to the papers. There was a student film crew doing some sort of a documentary and a couple of newspapers there anyway on the night for whatever reason I can't remember now, this happened to occur on that night, and the paper wrote about it.

But certainly no person present on the night, ran to the papers.

I guess im trying to argue for responsible mediumship. If you cant prove it and its going to cause offense, dont claim it. Im sure Declan was aware he was talking to the papers about it if they were there, having done paper interviews myself in the paranormal. I think this was claimed for the papers and the film crew and there is no truth in it. Wickow Gaol is a commercial venture only and previous mediums have quit for being criticised as not "entertaining" enough for the 50 euro.

Wicklow it what it is, a fun night out but certainly not a genuine paranormal experience despite the validity of the mediums who I am sure are very good but this Erskin Childers thing .... not buying it & still offended. The gaol needs to know it cant start going down this line without drawing flack.

edit: "Erskin Childers comes back from the dead to comment about election results. He hasnt appeared in the Gaol before but appears on the night Herald reporters are there with a film crew to comment on the topical General election and promote Wicklow Gaol tours". Thats pretty much how it reads from the link.

It is everyone's personal choice as to whether they believe it or not, personally I do believe every word of it. As i trust the people involved.

As for the gaol.. it is a night out etc. But it is also a genuine haunted irish location.

I have seen that for myself. I was there only last night, I think for my 6th time maybe, and they did make themselves known to me, as they usually do in the gaol.

However it is like everything a medium does anyway there are people who just will not believe in it.

As I said, if the medium genuinely believes they pick something up that is sensitive for people to hear they should keep it to themselves. Its just respect so I see two things happening here

1) Dec pulled a stoke and made up something that the papers would find worth writing about and promote the gaol using Childers because he spent one night of a very very long career there.

2) Dec actually had a conversation (never happens in such detail btw with any medium, even the Gaol's residents) with the former statesman and used it to promote the gaol regardless of offense it would cause because he cannot prove it.

Either way no medium has had the balls to cross this line before and I fear the game has been upped for the rest of them. Usually mediums stick to unknown entities and names because the vaugness of it all means it cant be proven and no one really cares but picking up on something so specific and high profile is going to cause nothing but trouble. If I were a member of the Childers family I would have complained to the Gaol by now & sued for emotional distress.

I can completely see where you are coming from don't get me wrong. If I was a part of the childers family, I might not like it either, but who is to say they are not delighted to hear it. That he made a visit somewhere.

Ruth KPS wrote: »
    I can completely see where you are coming from don't get me wrong. If I was a part of the childers family, I might not like it either, but who is to say they are not delighted to hear it. That he made a visit somewhere.

Brilliant, I just think it should have been asked of them before being publicised. In my opinion it was the gaol and the herald that were wrong here, the mediums not so much giving them the benifit of the doubt here.

• Advertisement

I'm going to stop posting now anyway, I really don't think I have much more to contribute as I wasn't present on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

First off I'm not having a go at anyone's integrity or anyone in particular. Personally I think its amazing though that on the night that a newspaper and student film crew are there that such a well known name makes contact, pure coincidence, who knows!?

Also I find it very hard to believe that pretty much every tour or every group/team investigation seems to always get something or another from the place, if you going to a 'Haunted' place of course your going to want something to happen, you go in with the preconception that the place is haunted and it makes you completely bias to the place, people are going to assume that whatever happened was a spirit/ghost if no explanation can be found, and people can say that they use all the latest techniques and technology but that is never 100% going to rule out natural causes.

Everything has to be done in 100% controlled circumstances and sadly to say but no groups in Ireland or most of the world have the time or finances to have 100% controlled investigations and environments.

With all that said, the media always over dramatise stories so its well possible that the mere mention of a name sparked the whole story!?

It was myself who posted "And as for the "psychic couple", well.........."

This is based on my own personal experience with the couple in question on a few occasions.

I'll say no more about it as we are all entitled to have high or low opinions of anyone we like, as long as we at least have had some dealings with them.

This is based on my own personal experience with the couple in question on a few occasions.

I'll say no more about it as we are all entitled to have high or low opinions of anyone we like, as long as we at least have had some dealings with them.

I have absolutely no problem with your opinion as we are all entitled to it and as you said you have had dealings with them.

I was more so referring to the people having low comments on mediums in question, yet never having met them or worked with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I'd say he's fairly full of crap like all psychics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

maccored wrote: »
    publicity = more punters
    you said it mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Angie Freeland Psychic Medium

Steve, please refresh my memory. I have just taken a look at your Facebook page Supernatural Ireland and found your name. I cannot recall my husband and I having met you at all let alone met you on several ocassions. When did these several occassions take place, where and what did we talk about?
    You are perfectly entitled to your view and to express it. My husband and I equally are entitled to have a view and express that but it is difficult for me to do so without recalling any ocassions when we have met. On the other hand if you are expressing your view whilst falsely claiming you have met my husband and I on more than one ocassion then I do have a very strong view. Angie x

OK, I don't like the fact that I'm getting contacted about this thread on my personal Facebook account by one half of the "psychic couple" now.

What the hell is that all about? :mad:

Steve, please refresh my memory. I have just taken a look at your Facebook page Supernatural Ireland and found your name. Steven McGarr. I cannot recall my husband and I having met you at all let alone met you on several ocassions. When did these several occassions take place, where and what did we talk about?
    You are perfectly entitled to your view and to express it. My husband and I equally are entitled to have a view and express that but it is difficult for me to do so without recalling any ocassions when we have met. On the other hand if you are expressing your view whilst falsely claiming you have met my husband and I on more than one ocassion then I do have a very strong view. Angie x
    Thanks for posting my full name there Angie :mad:, very professional and I'm sure it will do a lot to make people trust you even more.

I don't have any major issues with you or Keith, or at least I didn't until this morning. I have met you a couple of times in Wicklow Gaol but that is beside the point. Far worse things have been posted here about Mediums and coming on and getting all defensive and posting someone's personal information on a public forum is not going to make you look that great in most peoples eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

You have a link to a facebook group in your signature. Clicking that link reveals your name. I suggest that if you really as worried about your privacy as you claim, you remove the link.

Advertisement