Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Repair Mullingar?

Options
  • 03-03-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I know there was an old thread on this but wanted to get some different opinions.

Basically have an Acer laptop, got a warning about potential dangerous files when I was downloading some software, stopped it and restarted.....now get a black screen saying.............

Windows Boot Manager
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the Problem:
    1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and click “Next.”
    3. Click “Repair your computer.”
    If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
    File: \Windows\system32\config\system
    Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.
    ENTER=Continue ESC=Exit

I cant get by this menu when i try safe mode etc..just keep saying error and returns to this.

Wondering if anyone knew anything I could do myself to fix this(have looked on google but the solutions are very wishy washy or maybe i just dont understand........;)....or at least any idea what may be wrong and how serious to put my mind at rest? I dont have any disks with the laptop.

If there's no solutions I could do myself..........

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good repair place in Mullingar?

All I know is the one behind Dolans Bar and I've heard bad reviews about them.

Any other options in town please? And possible price for such a repair(corrupt hardware it seems)?

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

What OS are you using Zoolander?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Zoolander1

It's Windows Vista mate.

Every prompt leads back to the same screen....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

You could try this.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/windows-failed-to-start-status-0xc000000f/b15bcf91-b167-4d63-b5e3-5abe6c8be2af

But I'm thinking you probably didn't get any OS disks though???

Did you get any disks at all with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Creative I.T Solutions on Castle Street or the computer place in the enterprise centre.

I've never dealt with the place in the enterprise centre so don't know how good they are. Creative I.T are excellent, very reasonably priced too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Talk to the lads in Creative I.T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭boris232

I dealt with the lads in Creative IT twice and they were very good. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

guy in the enterprise center is very nice to deal with , however you may enquire here first maybe: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=907

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mjpd

Use your Vista CD which will give you the option to "Repair your computer." after you select your language

If you don't have the CD:
    I assume you have already tried “Last known good configuration” from the F8 menu. (press F8 as soon as windows starts to boot..or before)

Otherwise try running the System File Scanner:
    1. Turn on your machine
    2. Immediately begin tapping the F8 key repeatedly (If you get to the Windows startup screen start over)
    3. When the Startup Options menu comes up select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”
    4. At the command prompt type this command sfc /scannow
    5. Then press enter

Alternatively: [WARNING!!! This will restore the Laptop to the way it was on the day it was bought...personal files and software will be lost]
    Here is the standard Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
    2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
    3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
    4. Click “OK” to continue
    5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
    6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit.

(Got that last one from http://www.techsupportforum.com)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mjpd

Another simple option would be to Contact Acer to get a copy of Vista...they may charge you a small fee but it's simply just a hard copy of Vista.

Otherwise borrow a friends CD to perform the repair to the O/S.

You may even be able to download an image of the Vista DVD from the internet and burn it to DVD as your own hard copy....you have already paid for the software when u bought the laptop, so it's perfectly legal (i'm fairly sure)

Hope some of these suggestions help :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ajmboyce

base computers beside pennys or theres a lad at the dominick st side of mary street. Dont go under any circumstances to that cowboy at the back of dolans whatever you do I know several people that caught out by him including myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 fryer99

The guys on Marys Street / Dominick Street corner are very good, I've used them. Would agree with the previous post about the guy behind dolans, avoid him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

mjpd wrote: »
    Another simple option would be to Contact Acer to get a copy of Vista...they may charge you a small fee but it's simply just a hard copy of Vista.

Otherwise borrow a friends CD to perform the repair to the O/S.

You may even be able to download an image of the Vista DVD from the internet and burn it to DVD as your own hard copy....you have already paid for the software when u bought the laptop, so it's perfectly legal (i'm fairly sure)

Hope some of these suggestions help :-)

you sure thats legal?, theres supposed be a great site so, something to do with pirates i think

Advertisement