Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Service Provider Popularity Poll

• 03-03-2011 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I thought it would be interesting to find out which Internet Service Provider is most popular in Ireland, so I have created a poll to give us an idea.

Simple vote which ISP your currently with and (if you like) reply with what package you have with said ISP.

Who is your Internet Service Provider? 140 votes

Eircom
    0% 0 votes
    UPC
    15% 21 votes
    Digiweb (TalkTalk/Smart)
    42% 60 votes
    Imagine (Clearwire/IBB)
    8% 12 votes
    Magnet
    2% 4 votes
    UTV Broadband
    5% 7 votes
    Vodafone DSL (IOL/BT/Perlico)
    3% 5 votes
    "Mobile" Broadband (Three/Meteor/O2/Vodafone)
    15% 21 votes
    Other (not listed)
    7% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

nm, Im on UPC 30MB - great product tho their modem is crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Sorry just put it up now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I voted for my providor cos its my providor, but thats no indication of how i feel about it, im with eircom and not happy.

I was with Eircom for many years, but switched to UPC about a year ago mainly because they already had the infrastructure in place for high-speed broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Eircom and no probs which seems to be strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

I'm with Smart. 4Mb Package which is the most my Ceappy DSL line will take. Very happy with them, Just wish I could get better speeds. It is no reflection on them though that my speeds are slow.

UPC are currently upgrading my area to BB and Phone and will switch once it is up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

UPC 20 Megs.:)

1183273264.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

was with clearwire house broadband for 3-4 years and never had any problems at all. seemed a grand enough speed, not great not bad either.
    was with 02 prepay mobile broadband but was getting through the credit too fast.
    so i tried 3 mobile broadband - absolute nightmare
    have an eircom mobile broadband for 3 years now and its been good (we needed 2 in this house thats why we tried so many)
    but we went back to eircom ngs house broadband recently and its been good. customner service was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Yo soy el burro

Have a mobile o2 thing cos wouldn't touch eircom, wimax are full no upc in my area and out of the three mobile options o2 seemed the best but am lucky to get over 1 mb. Considering handing it back and tell them if they want cancellation fees i'll see them in court!!!

7.2 mb my bottom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

You include Imagine and Clearwire in your poll but no Smart or Digiweb ? :confused:

Smart 10 meg , flawless service. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Clearwire doesn't exist

BT don't do retail anymore.

Vodafone = IOL, BT Retail, Perlico and Vodafone DSL as well as Vodafone Mobile

Digiweb is one of the big ones

Smart and Talk Talk are Digiweb Brands

Where is Permanet, Ripplecom, Airwire, Westnet?

Casey cable Surf

There used to be 85 Irish ISPs. Less now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

clearwire was bought by imagine yes. would be hard to include them all - hadnt even heard of some of the ones mentioned though....... are some of them pretty new?

used to be 85? flippin heck... when i started there was eircom and the odd mention of esat and oceanfree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

I was using Westnet for 6 years up until recently, Great service.
    on Vodafone now,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Yo soy el burro

Aishae wrote: »
    used to be 85? flippin heck... when i started there was eircom and the odd mention of esat and oceanfree

You'd be suppressed how many there are in the country if you added in all the small regional ones (no where near 85 thou!).

Aishae wrote: »
    clearwire was bought by imagine yes. would be hard to include them all - hadnt even heard of some of the ones mentioned though....... are some of them pretty new?

I had oceanfree 56k dialup back in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

esat clear no limits for me :) IR£20 a month unlimited connection time..unless you left it on all day then you got a letter

..internet was measured by time spent online back then :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

UPC 20mb, never an issue with modem, get 20mb connection and downloads at 2.3mb/sec constantly, phone glitch once/twice a year which doesn't bother me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

UPC 30Mb. The modem isn't very sophisticated but I've no problems with it. Happy with the service.

UPC 100mb here, no issues & loving it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've edited the poll to correct some errors and also made it clearer :)

• Advertisement

I was wondering why nobody was voting Wimax since everybody loves a jingle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Don't confuse WiMax and Imagine WiMax.
    WiMax a collection of Mobile or Fixed technologies. Many Irish Companies using Fixed WiMax to give reliable Broadband.

Imagine WiMax: Only Imagine's Nomadic /Mobile 3.6GHz Motorola and Intel Promoted product and Service. Before Imagine took over IBB was already deploying some BreezeMax, which is high quality Fixed WiMax. Imagine WiMax isn't Broadband, but Midband.

See http://www.techtir.ie/forums/internet-faq

Thanks for clearing that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Digiweb 7MB DSL here, rock solid service, pretty good customer service and they seem to be fairly lax with their enforcement of up/download allowances which is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I'm sure everyone would pick UPC if they had the opportunity. Unfortunately about 90% can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 -simon-

With UPC on 20Mb, never have good speed and connection is always dropping. Very disappointing... :mad:

1187442777.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

UPC. 30Mb connection. Will be 100Mb as soon as it is availible here.

1191486033.png

Slight improvement on my last speeds

1204665483.png

I'm now using a home made cantenna to connect to the router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

in some cases one is simply limited and therefore unfair representation will show up. Would love UPC but just can't get it.

Advertisement