Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview in 3 weeks,NEED 457 ADVICE/HELP

Options
  • 03-03-2011 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hey guys I have an interview for a position in oz in three weeks.If all goes well and i get the position I will have to apply for a Temporary business (long stay)-standard business sponsorship (subclass 457) visa.Im looking for answers to some questions regarding this visa so have any of you recently applied or gained a 457?I have looked through the Australian gov website and am confused on a number of issues!So please please give me some help if you have the answers to these to begin with

1-Do i need to take a skills assesment test to qualify when i already have a sponsor?The trade in question is listed on the SOL (fibrous plasterer)

2-Regarding work history,how do they go about checking work history as in do they check with the employer or do they look for payslips to prove work history?

I havnt got a great history at interviews as i failed the guards AND the Ambulance interviews after blitzing the aptitude tests!!I did nail a couple in construction though ;) thanks for the help lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

1-Do i need to take a skills assessment test to qualify when i already have a sponsor?The trade in question is listed on the SOL (fibrous plasterer)
    No, usually send CV, exam (if any) results, payslips, contract of employment etc
    2-Regarding work history,how do they go about checking work history as in do they check with the employer or do they look for payslips to prove work history?
    Usually contracts and payslips - Aus gov make you prove it, rather than them.

To do be honest, you probably won't need any of this, as you don't apply, the company will apply (or should)

you are getting a head of yourself here, just concentrate on getting the job, then look at the visa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 JonnyCash10

Thanks hussey took your advice and GOT THE JOB!!

its with a company in brisbane,interview went scarily well

There is a catch though and il need some help on this

Company wants me to gain an AQFIII through a crowd in the uk.This will cost me 2,500 euro and theres no guarantee that il pass this skills assesment.

This got me to thinking maybe its all a scam,heres how it would work.Set up bogus construction company.Advertise in Irish Independant promising construction workers (me) sponsorship and a new life in oz.Construction company mentiond they had over 500 applications at interview.Tell the applicants they have to do this test to get out there.Fail them on the test.NOW whats €2500 X 100 X 5?
    The testing crowd would be minted right

Soooo i need to check out the construction companys credentials to see if they are legit right,HOW DO I DO THAT???

Company wants me to gain an AQFIII through a crowd in the uk.This will cost me 2,500 euro and theres no guarantee that il pass this skills assesment.

This got me to thinking maybe its all a scam,heres how it would work.Set up bogus construction company.Advertise in Irish Independant promising construction workers (me) sponsorship and a new life in oz.Construction company mentiond they had over 500 applications at interview.Tell the applicants they have to do this test to get out there.Fail them on the test.NOW whats €2500 X 100 X 5?

Soooo i need to check out the construction companys credentials to see if they are legit right,HOW DO I DO THAT???

This sounds like a scam, 2500 to get a qualification .... hmmm

http://www.australianskillassessments.com/ Has anyone used this crowd for skills assesment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

That does sound dodge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I would be very wary. The fact that their contact address is a PO Box wouldn't inspire confidence.

What's the Australian equivalent of CRO (company registrations office)? If it's similar to here you may be able to check company background, directors and financial reports etc, might help figure out if they are legit...

Anyone able to answer jackbhoys question?How will i check these guys out people?

Its the oul fella thats the sceptic,It crossed my mind but having met head of company at interview it seemed all above board i would be very surprised if this was a scam.Like the website for company is quite impressive and is all relevant.ur man told me at interview i was one of 12 that got through the 500 and that 6 would make it.I need to rule out this possibility before i throw 2500 down the drain and have to get the ball rollin for test in next couple days

what exactly makes it seem so dodgy?the figures i mentioned?like skills assesments are mentioned all over this board and none of them are cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

did they suggest using that crowd?

Put it to the test tell them you dont want to use Australianskillsassessment but you will get the AQF through another UK company. Like http://www.silvertrowel.co.uk/ or something like that.

I would be with your oul boy, it does sounds way too easy.

also why not give you the job upfront and you do the assessment while in Australia?

jackbhoy wrote: »
    I would be very wary. The fact that their contact address is a PO Box wouldn't inspire confidence.

What's the Australian equivalent of CRO (company registrations office)? If it's similar to here you may be able to check company background, directors and financial reports etc, might help figure out if they are legit...

PO Box means nothing, most companies use PO for postal and street address for couriers.
    Anyone able to answer jackbhoys question?How will i check these guys out people?

Its the oul fella thats the sceptic,It crossed my mind but having met head of company at interview it seemed all above board i would be very surprised if this was a scam.Like the website for company is quite impressive and is all relevant.ur man told me at interview i was one of 12 that got through the 500 and that 6 would make it.I need to rule out this possibility before i throw 2500 down the drain and have to get the ball rollin for test in next couple days

what exactly makes it seem so dodgy?the figures i mentioned?like skills assesments are mentioned all over this board and none of them are cheap

also enquire with this crowd, http://www.deewr.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

TRA is part of this and they do the skills assessments for trades for the 457 if it is required, as far as skills assessments required for immigration ie to get the visa .....these people would be the ones you need to deal with. (part of the Au Government)

Not sure if this is same company but you might get some info here:
    http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=141_336_638&juris=9&hdtext=ACN&srchsrc=1

mandrake04 wrote:
    PO Box means nothing, most companies use PO for postal and street address for couriers.

I'm sure you are right but would vast majority of companies not have their company address on website? Or easily available through Google? I've always found this to be the case for any Aussie companies I've had to post/call to.

• Advertisement

Yeah I can see you scepticism, many companies who do not have a street address but just a PO box might be operating out of their garrage.

I would be more concerned with the construction company, the Skills place might be legit but the 'referrer' might be a front.

Yeah still not sure on this I did get a call once here looking to employ me but I needed to do a certificate of them first. I hung up.

Yeah still not sure on this I did get a call once here looking to employ me but I needed to do a certificate of them first. I hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Elirlandes

Dunno if its of any use, but I saw this...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8876946

Elirlandes wrote: »
    Dunno if its of any use, but I saw this...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8876946

The visa guy george Lombard has a very high reputation, if he says it's on the money then I would believe him.

EDIT - Actually as mandrake points out he doesn't actually say this, but does confirm he's an agent

Have to agree with Hussey, looking at what George wrote he didn't really say that much but the way he said it was "Read between my lines and be aware"

rang this crowd last nite http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=141_336_638&juris=9&hdtext=ACN&srchsrc=1 along with a couple of other numbers to check on construction company,both of the people who looked em up said they are def a legit company they def exist.

I had another migration agent tell me that i dont need this skills assesment test to qualify for the 457,she said there is a remote possibility that immigration would look for cert but its only remote.She couldnt understand why the company were making me do this test,she was the 2nd independant migration agent to say this...

the plot thickens...

Would it be cheeky of me to email and ask the company why exactly they want this test done??tell them that 2 seperate migration agents have said i dont need it,and ask for e-mail of confirmation of the offer of position and wages???

Like i wouldnt have a leg to stand on.The company head rang me to tell me i got the position so i dont have any paperwork if the **** hits the fan

rang this crowd last nite http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=141_336_638&juris=9&hdtext=ACN&srchsrc=1 along with a couple of other numbers to check on construction company,both of the people who looked em up said they are def a legit company they def exist.

I had another migration agent tell me that i dont need this skills assesment test to qualify for the 457,she said there is a remote possibility that immigration would look for cert but its only remote.She couldnt understand why the company were making me do this test,she was the 2nd independant migration agent to say this...

the plot thickens...

Would it be cheeky of me to email and ask the company why exactly they want this test done??tell them that 2 seperate migration agents have said i dont need it,and ask for e-mail of confirmation of the offer of position and wages???

Like i wouldnt have a leg to stand on.The company head rang me to tell me i got the position so i dont have any paperwork if the **** hits the fan

It's a tough call, if they are legit you don't want to piss away a great offer, at the same time you don't want to piss away 2.5k if they are cowboys.

Personally, I'd ring them and say you've heard some bad things about people getting scammed and you are nervous of parting with so much money. Ask them if you can go with an accredited skills assessor of your choice. If they really are genuine about hiring you, then surely they'll make this concession.

It's a tough call, if they are legit you don't want to piss away a great offer, at the same time you don't want to piss away 2.5k if they are cowboys.

Couldnt have phrased it better

Personally, I'd ring them and say you've heard some bad things about people getting scammed and you are nervous of parting with so much money. Ask them if you can go with an accredited skills assessor of your choice. If they really are genuine about hiring you, then surely they'll make this concession.

"Scammed" could be a very insulting word lol,I could ask them about an an accredited skills assessor of your choice ,but if they say ya grand id prob use ASA anyway as id have confidence in them then.

What if they figured on this this and called my bluff this is a pain in the A..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ccy

Hi Jonny,
    Just wondering if you went ahead with australiaskillassess and how you've found them?
    regards,
    Cath

• Advertisement

ccy wrote: »
    Hi Jonny,
    Just wondering if you went ahead with australiaskillassess and how you've found them?
    regards,
    Cath

Sorry about the wait cath,havnt been on here in a while

Yes I ploughed ahead with it,despite my reservations and all is going swimmingly well.I am now within 3/4 weeks of relocating to oz according to my sponsor

I used http://www.australianskillassessments.com/ to gain the AQFIII which i needed,it cost around 2000 EUR but I am now in possession of said cert.They were a little slower than they claimed to be but overall im quite happy with their side of things as it was alot easier than i first feared it would be

I am about to go through the migration documents with the migration agent that my sponsor has payed for...

Can anyone tell me now as i look at figures

What RATE OF TAX will i be charged at on the 457 visa???

What RATE OF TAX will i be charged at on the 457 visa???
    It's on ato.gov.au

You haven't told us how much you get paid - how can we possibly answer this?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

$0 – $6,000
    Nil
    $6,001 – $37,000
    15c for each $1 over $6,000
    $37,001 – $80,000
    $4,650 plus 30c for each $1 over $37,000
    $80,001 – $180,000
    $17,550 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000
    Over $180,000
    $54,550 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000