Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky talking about ending access to Freesat?

• 03-03-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

So someone on another forum mentioned that a Sky salesman told her that ex-Sky boxes will no longer be able to get Freesat soon.

Is that possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Sam the Aerialman

Caitriona wrote: »
    So someone on another forum mentioned that a Sky salesman told her that ex-Sky boxes will no longer be able to get Freesat soon.

Is that possible?

No total and utter nonsense. Salesmen of Sky deliberately mislead by talking any sh*te that will grab them a sale. It would actually harm Sky to end Freesat from Sky as it would just push more people to BBC/ITV Freesat. There are currently Sky sales people out in rural areas spreading doom and gloom about Freeview and trying to frighten people into taking Sky subscription services, when RTE is finally launched from Divis it will do Sky some serious damage in the north of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It would be illegal.
    Subscribers own the box, dish, LNB, cable from day one. 1 year Warrenty is quoted.

It's a bit thick though that the recording or playback of FTA TV is disabled when you cancel. They get round that by claiming you bought just a receiver and the recording/pause/play is a service.

The German Premiere lost a case too. This is why a Sky box has "other channels". pay TV Satellite and Terrestrial operators are not allowed to disable FTA channel access in EU. Only Cable boxes can be Pay TV only, and in Ireland you never own the cable box.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

Thanks, folks, that's exactly what I needed to know : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

No total and utter nonsense. Salesmen of Sky deliberately mislead by talking any sh*te that will grab them a sale. It would actually harm Sky to end Freesat from Sky as it would just push more people to BBC/ITV Freesat. There are currently Sky sales people out in rural areas spreading doom and gloom about Freeview and trying to frighten people into taking Sky subscription services, when RTE is finally launched from Divis it will do Sky some serious damage in the north of Ireland.

Couldn't agree more!!!

These guys are going around telling people that they won't be able to get RTE, TV3 etc after 2012 without having Sky.

I've had several queries from people in my area, who say that another guy in the area is going around telling this stuff in order to get a sky sale for himself.

I've no problem with Sky(have it my own house) but I've a problem with this scaremongering!!!!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I have said the same on many a Thread here over the years These so called Sky sales reps dont even work for Sky as i have said before these sales reps work for a sales company selling sky 1 week and Broadband another week and something else the week after. Two years ago door to door sales reps went around Co Wexford telling people that they will loose reception from there UK aerials and will need to sign up to Sky to get the UK channels back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

not sure if this the right place to ask this but can anyone help me. I just got rid of Sky and got UPC in and the apparently I can get freesat on my sky box. I'm not sure how this works or what I do. I'm not very technical so can anyone help me? I would really appreciate it. Sky was better for channels but they are bullies in many ways and if I could get freesat in it would be great. Thanks again!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

take out your card, turn off the box with the remote and then at the mains. Leave it for a minute and then switch back on, BBC1 london should appear at 101, you now have Freesat, essentially.
    You will have to add in Channel 5 via other channels and you will lose the Irish channels.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

was just about to log out will try that now. Thanks for that quick reply lets hope it works! Thanks again :)

Advertisement