Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting over caulk

• 03-03-2011 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Someone did a small job on an outside wooden gate for me and used what i think is caulk. I painted ronseal 5 year woodstain on it yesterday before caulk was dry and the paint will not take. Even today it won't take. How long for caulk to dry

Just did a quick search and apparently this is a big problem. What do i do sand the caulk off? or use a primer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

You sure it wasn't a silicone sealant that was used. Normally caulk dries in an hour or two but if it exterior maybe a bit longer. You will know when it's dry when it goes off or becomes hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

You sure it wasn't a silicone sealant that was used. Normally caulk dries in an hour or two but if it exterior maybe a bit longer. You will know when it's dry when it goes off or becomes hard.
    maybe it was but i should be able to paint over that today shouldn't i? all i know is it won't take the paint
    Does this work for silicon sealant

90% of the time caulk is white, while silicone is clear. I'd guess that yours is the clear stuff and the stain keeps sliding of it. If it is this, stanley knife the silicone out as best you can, careful not to damage yourself or the wood. Recaulk it using paintable caulk and you will be OK.

90% of the time caulk is white, while silicone is clear. I'd guess that yours is the clear stuff and the stain keeps sliding of it. If it is this, stanley knife the silicone out as best you can, careful not to damage yourself or the wood. Recaulk it using paintable caulk and you will be OK.
    no it is white and it show through the stain
    is Kilz oil-based primer in woodies do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

cardwizard is right its not coulk they used its silicone thats is why it wont take paint....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What was the small job on the gate that required caulk or silicone?

Are you sure they didn't use a wood filler? Silicone has a rubbery feel to it when you press against it, and you can't sand it down. It's intended for closing small gaps.

A wood filler will feel hard and can be sanded. It can be used for small gaps or to fill larger holes such as screw heads or missing knots. Wood filler would be paintable but afaik Ronseal woodstain isn't like a normal paint so you tend to get darker or lighter staining depending on how absorbent the surface is.

[Edit]
    Just saw it's silicone they used. Even if you did manage to get the Ronseal to stick it'll flake off in no time.
    [/Edit]

Kilz is a super product Minny, but its not suitable for you here. I can understand why you want to use it but it will mess up your finish badly. It will leave it white where you apply it, then the Ronseal stain won't cover it properly and you have a bigger problem on your hands unless you want to paint it.

Are you sure they didn't use a wood filler? Silicone has a rubbery feel to it when you press against it, and you can't sand it down. It's intended for closing small gaps.
    not sure the guys say silicone
    A wood filler will feel hard and can be sanded. It can be used for small gaps or to fill larger holes such as screw heads or missing knots. Wood filler would be paintable but afaik Ronseal woodstain isn't like a normal paint so you tend to get darker or lighter staining depending on how absorbent the surface is.
    it is not darker or lighter it simply will not stick. the paint goes on everywhere except where the silicone is and there it shows white through the paint. only a small area but looks terrible

Kilz is a super product Minny, but its not suitable for you here. I can understand why you want to use it but it will mess up your finish badly. It will leave it white where you apply it, then the Ronseal stain won't cover it properly and you have a bigger problem on your hands unless you want to paint it.
    it says at the link i gave it will work. I could use paint over it i guess instead of the stain and then cover with something like cleasr varnish to protect it. maybe i can just work it out with a knife and put in some paintable sealant

Yeah I know. The problem that you will have is that you will be trying to stain over the kilz, which in effect is a solid primer. If you read the post it says to repaint over the silicone not restain. If you go down this road to repaint it, you will have to sand the gate, prime it and then double coat your finish. Varnishing over paint in this instance is uselss, just hit it with a coat every now and then.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know. The problem that you will have is that you will be trying to stain over the kilz, which in effect is a solid primer. If you read the post it says to repaint over the silicone not restain.
    did not realise that, thanks

If you go down this road to repaint it, you will have to sand the gate, prime it and then double coat your finish. Varnishing over paint in this instance is uselss, just hit it with a coat every now and then.
    ok
    sand before kilz?
    what is the best road?
    by varnish i meant the ronseal clear varnish which i understood, perhaps wrongly, is to protect

Cut it out as in post #4. Recaulk it with a brown caulk. Restain it with the ronseal, at least two coats. Important to recoat annually as UV's destroy stain and varnishes. They literally have no protection in them, so a maintnance coat every year is essential. If it was my gate i'd just cut, recaulk and restain.

By the way Kilz and Zinseer have just been hit with a 35% increase in prices across the board, not that your buying any.

Cut it out as in post #4. Recaulk it with a brown caulk. Restain it with the ronseal, at least two coats. Important to recoat annually as UV's destroy stain and varnishes. They literally have no protection in them, so a maintnance coat every year is essential. If it was my gate i'd just cut, recaulk and restain.

By the way Kilz and Zinseer have just been hit with a 35% increase in prices across the board, not that your buying any.
    thanks for the advice before i went and bought Kilz and/or Zinseer;)oh what is the right type of brown caulk, a brand?
    this?

You are very welcome. Good luck with the wee project.:)

I like Douglas or International. Won't make a huge difference to your size of a project. Any brand will do.

You are very welcome. Good luck with the wee project.:)

I like Douglas or International. Won't make a huge difference to your size of a project. Any brand will do.
    the caulk came out easy with a flat screwdriver so the job is oxo

Advertisement