Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish ordinary level

• 03-03-2011 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

well i got back my mocks irish today and i got 38% and teachers is recommending i drop to foundation but dont know what to do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

well i got back my mocks irish today and i got 38% and teachers is recommending i drop to foundation but dont know what to do
    Dont!!!!. The mocks are hard enough and with a little bit of revision that can be brought up beyond the pass. If you could learn a couple of sentences everynight you will be grand, and also get revise for irish its great. Hope this helps:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭kildareman09

she says if i dont need irish then i should go to foundation

what is it you want to do after school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭kildareman09

an apprenticeship but i want to try get as many points as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Don't drop to foundation, 2% and you'd have passed. You can at least make a 10% increase if you do just a bit of study before the real thing. No sense wasting a perfectly good grade.

• Advertisement

like i think the teacher is very ignorant to say that. There would be no benefit dropping to foundation at all, and the probability is that you will pass irish. 2% isnt that much to make up for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I'm an Irish teacher.
    DON'T drop! I am surprised your teacher has suggested it.
    There are no points for foundation Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I'm an Irish teacher.
    DON'T drop! I am surprised your teacher has suggested it.
    There are no points for foundation Irish.

This.
    I wouldn't be so bothered about the points, but for yourself, you should try get the highest level you can.

A person who can get 38% is close to passing. I'd be suggesting Foundation if you were trying your best and getting, say, 18%.
    Try your very best in the orals.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Do not drop, you get no points. What if further down the line you want to go to college? 2% is nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Don't drop to foundation, Just use your free time more wizely and study Irish at the same time, Listen to Raidio Rí Rá, watch South Park on TG4, watch Ros na Rún. If there is a Ciorcal Comhrá in your area(And there probably is) join it.

There are many ways to up the amount of Irish you are exposed to without stressing yourself out.

Go n-éirí leat.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I watched Anam agus Corp on Realplayer lastnight, most fun study you'll ever do, honestly really really entertaining! Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

i dropped down from honours and the first thing i realised is how much you can have done before you go in!

For paper 1:
    -Have a basic sceal prepared and mould it to anything. the one our whole class uses is "coming home from the disco, was a great night, the weather is sh**y, suddenly you get hit by a car, call the ambulance go to hospital"
    -prepare the letter in the same way - its usually an abroad one
    -th reading comps are simple.. read the question find that key word in the paragraph and if you cant figure out exactly whaat to write, write the whole thig, thay have to give you half marks at least

Paper 2:
    -just know a general summary for fiche blian ag fas, an lig sin i gcathu etc, and know about the charachters
    -for the poetry, have a look at the book fiuntas.. it translates it and everything for ya

paper 1 is the easiest to get full marks in cause all they want is the nathanna cainte and you can have all of them learned before you go in!

i hope this helped and best of luck OP! =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

GV_NRG wrote: »
    i dropped down from honours and the first thing i realised is how much you can have done before you go in!

For paper 1:
    -Have a basic sceal prepared and mould it to anything. the one our whole class uses is "coming home from the disco, was a great night, the weather is sh**y, suddenly you get hit by a car, call the ambulance go to hospital"
    -prepare the letter in the same way - its usually an abroad one
    -th reading comps are simple.. read the question find that key word in the paragraph and if you cant figure out exactly whaat to write, write the whole thig, thay have to give you half marks at least

Paper 2:
    -just know a general summary for fiche blian ag fas, an lig sin i gcathu etc, and know about the charachters
    -for the poetry, have a look at the book fiuntas.. it translates it and everything for ya

paper 1 is the easiest to get full marks in cause all they want is the nathanna cainte and you can have all of them learned before you go in!

i hope this helped and best of luck OP! =)

Before I start, You are perfectly correct in everything that you have said, but dear lord I wish that wasn't the case.

Reform of how Irish is taught can not come soon enough because as it is, Irish is not 'taught', People are just instructed on how to pass a memory exam that just happens to be in Irish.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Before I start, You are perfectly correct in everything that you have said, but dear lord I wish that wasn't the case.

Reform of how Irish is taught can not come soon enough because as it is, Irish is not 'taught', People are just instructed on how to pass a memory exam that just happens to be in Irish.:mad:

i know. being totaly honest i would love if the irish language was taught properly but the system is so bad like its not eorking at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Hi :D

i dont think you should move.

am for paper 1:
    - the sceal and letter is 120 percent of your overall paper so focus on them alot! Thats more than paper 2 (the whole lot of it)
    - if you learn one essay off by heart word for word you can get 80% - any further mistake in grammer etc but if you have the grammer and speelings correct you have 48/60 already thats 8% alone
    -The letter
    Bothar na tra
    (Country you in)

Date
    A (Una/Liam), a chara,

Opening= Conas ata tu? Ta me go maith. Aon Sceal? Ta suil agam go bhfuil tu fein agus do chlann i mbarr na slainte. Ta an ghrian ag scoilteadh na gcloch/ Ta se ag cur baiste gan stad. Ta nuacht agam. (type in what news: taking it from the question)

Middle= Say some basic sentences about the news. Three or four will suffice

End= Caitheamh me imeacht anois mar...... ta obair bhaile agam/ ta alan obair agam/ ta me ag dul go dti an tra. Beidh me filleadh abhaile i dha seachtaine/ an mhi/ dha la........

Slan go foill,
    Do chara dhillis,
    (Una/Liam)

It writes out to about 3/4 of a page in average writing.
    sorry there are no fadas i dont quiet no how to do them!!!!!

-the comprehensions just start practicing as many as you can!

Paper 2: 17% of overall just learn as much as you can you only have to learn 4 stories...... but learn all the poems!

Oral: know as much as you can about yourself and school etc!

Aural: just start listening to Irish and learn common vocab.

That's all i really know!

Oh and like someone already said revise wise is brill!

Advertisement