Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokey room

• 03-03-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I live in timber frame house which is fairly draught proof. I have last year installed an insert stove and have found the room quite smoket when i open the stove to refuel it. Would the installion of an wall air vent help with this and how tricky a job is it do complete ?

Thanks for any any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

finn28 wrote: »
    I live in timber frame house which is fairly draught proof. I have last year installed an insert stove and have found the room quite smoket when i open the stove to refuel it. Would the installion of an wall air vent help with this and how tricky a job is it do complete ?

Why not crack open a window when you refuel it and see if it helps... Personally I'd not consider a wall vent, damn things flood the room with cold air...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Do you mean you have no room vent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

It is normal for a very small amount of smoke to come into the room when re-fueling a stove.

As above do you have the room vented?

In order to allow combustion gases to exit the chimney efficiently you will need to have some air flow into the stove if your house is tighly sealed the flue will not operate properly. See this post for building reg info regarding external air supply, etc. for solid fuel appliances. Be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

bbam wrote: »
    Why not crack open a window when you refuel it and see if it helps... Personally I'd not consider a wall vent, damn things flood the room with cold air...

You would not consider a wall vent ? It's the very thing that would keep this person alive

sullzz wrote: »
    You would not consider a wall vent ? It's the very thing that would keep this person alive

No..
    We have no wall vents in our house, trickle vents in the windows do the trick and we never open them either...
    We can open and refuel our stove no bother with vents and doors closed, it is a larger room though.. Actually we can have the double stove doors open with the fire lit and not smoke the room at all..

I find that wall vents never seal up properly when closed and are noisy as hell if it's windy outside..

IF you're worried then stick in a carbon monoxide alarm rather than a 4' hole in the wall that will leak cold air all the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Antiquo wrote: »
    It is normal for a very small amount of smoke to come into the room when re-fueling a stove.

As above do you have the room vented?

In order to allow combustion gases to exit the chimney efficiently you will need to have some air flow into the stove if your house is tighly sealed the flue will not operate properly. See this post for building reg info regarding external air supply, etc. for solid fuel appliances. Be safe.
    It says in the manual for our stove before refuelling to open the spin valve as it should help elimate any smoke when the door is opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

All the advice is good have the trickle window vents open and it is a quite large room. Might start with a chimmney spinner to incease draught in chimmney and CO2 dector to be safe. Will still have to consider wall vent though for safety sake. must enquire on buiding reg for house was constructed in 2003 must check to see it legally required to have being installed by builder.

All the advice is good have the trickle window vents open and it is a quite large room. Might start with a chimmney spinner to incease draught in chimmney and CO2 dector to be safe. Will still have to consider wall vent though for safety sake. must enquire on buiding reg for house was constructed in 2003 must check to see it legally required to have being installed by builder.

Trickle vents will have covered the regs..
    Think long and hard before installing the wall vents.... Do a search here on boards for people complaining about them being noisy and draughty..

Obviously the chimney has been recently/professionally cleaned ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

bbam wrote: »
    IF you're worried then stick in a carbon monoxide alarm rather than a 4' hole in the wall that will leak cold air all the time...

Well said bbam!

afaik carbon monoxide detectors are fitted to every new build in the states as well as in england!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sligo Stoves and Fireplaces

If the puff of smoke is when you open the door to re-fuel, then the simplest solution is to open the door slightly (1/4inch) to let the pressure inside and outside the stove regulate. The puff is caused by the same principle of quickly closing a door in a room which can have same effect. So, slow and gently is the key!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Who installed the insert stove? They should have specified the size and requirement for an external air supply.

Is it properly sealed to the existing flue, is there a liner?

Chimney spinner will not compensate for lack of external air supply no air coming into the building means that flue gasses cannot freely escape as there is a low pressure vacuum in the building compared to outside when the stove is lit.

The building reg I gave you above is the UK latest reg which has been updated Oct 2010 to include issues occuring with air tight houses and the need for a CO monitor in the same room as the appliance.

The Irish buiding reg is taken from the UK reg's and is not as up to date. Go figure..

The builder of the house is not reponsible for ensuring compliance to part J of building regs as the appliance was not installed as part of the build.

House insurance will not cover you for damage or loss caused to the premises or occupants as a result of a non compliant install.

I don't know how many people will die as a result of improperly installed stoves before the government is forced to takes some action and regulate their installation. Unfortunately that day may never come but don't be a statistic do it properly follow the regs be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

Sligo stoves good advice might have solved my problem. chimmney cleaned by a pro and in tip top condition. my problen is just the smoke when it is opened which sligo stoves has offered a good recommendation. have got c02 detector as well . hate the idea of having to fit external vent because of their problems.

Advertisement