Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Web Site Idea/Business

Options
  • 03-03-2011 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I have a new website idea - it developed into business plan and graphic design but not yet programmed.

Is there somewhere in Ireland you can present these ideas to - DITs Colleges, Internet Design Companies - which could give me some feed back or offer to help with design if they like the premise.

Any ideas would help? or advice on what not to do.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Choclolate wrote: »
    I have a new website idea - it developed into business plan and graphic design but not yet programmed.

Is there somewhere in Ireland you can present these ideas to - DITs Colleges, Internet Design Companies - which could give me some feed back or offer to help with design if they like the premise.

Any ideas would help? or advice on what not to do.

Thanks

When you say "offer to help with design", do you mean for free ?

Those of us in the internet business have bills to pay too, so regardless of how good the idea, or how much we might like to get involved in theory, it's [usually] simply not feasible to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Choclolate

I mean help with the design, practicality etc.

There is a gamble involved and someone might want to gamble some time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Define 'help', do you mean you're looking for a mentor or someone to help do the work? In any case I don't know of any such services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sorry, most competent web professionals value their time at their hourly rate just like in any other service industry. If we had a dollar for every one of these proposed 'partnerships', we'd be rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Check out this jobs board for designers. Sometimes people who need designer's help with a startup web business advertise there and offer a share of business in return for design work. Perhaps you can find someone interested.
    http://www.creativeireland.com/jobdesk/pages/jobs_offered/web/index.shtml

I wouldn't expect anyone to spend time consulting your business if you'll be the only one profiting from it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help.
    There is no need to be that precious about your profession. I cant pay anyone as I have no money.
    I know loads of business where other professions come onboard unpaid as they think its a good idea or oppertunity.
    Just a good idea I have - but with nowhere to bring it.

Thanks for your help.
    There is no need to be that precious about your profession. I cant pay anyone as I have no money.
    I know loads of business where other professions come onboard unpaid as they think its a good idea or oppertunity.

I don't think any of the original posters are being precious. I receive these proposals on a weekly basis. Some ideas are good, some are not, but at the end of the day I want to be paid for services rendered rather that accept 5% of equity based on the idea owner's optimistic financial forecasting.

If the idea has good business potential, and you can demonstrate your ability to make it work, a bank will lend you money. I know - my business was granted a loan about six months ago, based on the people and their business plan.

Yes I agree.

But you are a web developer, you have the main skill and cost base sorted.

I disagree with 5% - time wise the developer will put in more than anyone - but that is an aside.

In reality I would need a developer on board and a working modile to be able to approach any bank.

I am looking for advise - so all good advise wether I like it or not.

Keep it coming

Thanks for your help.

I don't think my reply could be viewed as "precious"; I was merely stating a fact that we have bills to pay too, and if you re-read what I said I think it was pretty clear; there are lots of projects that I'd love to get involved in - even some existing paid ones that I'd love to work more on to make them better - however the reality is that there are bills to be paid, and working for free won't facilitate that.

Anyone who "comes onboard unpaid" has obviously no immediate worries in terms of mortgages or bills.

I'd love to be in that position and I'd be as altruistic as they come in that scenario, but reality dictates otherwise.

I thought you were making a general point not a personal point.

You will always be working to pay bills unless you take a few chances

I know builders who took shares in business as payment for building the premises, thats what you do if you ever want to suceed.

If you dont have any ideas of your own - you should you use skill to buy a share of a company that does have a good idea. You are obviously technically minded not creative.

• Advertisement

Not creative, no business ideas. You do know you are in a design forum, right????

If you dont have any ideas of your own - you should you use skill to buy a share of a company that does have a good idea.

That's a big "if" that I can't contradict without it seeming like advertising! But you're completely wrong. But the phrase "left a decent-paying job to run with an idea" is pretty appropriate.
    You are obviously technically minded not creative.

Unbelieveably patronising and insulting. Just because people say that it's not feasible to work for you for free, you come out with that ?

Pretty glad that I didn't offer my services now.:rolleyes:

What if I were to claim that you were "obviously" someone who wasn't prepared to back your own idea ?

I wouldn't, because I'm not that arrogant or insulting, but it'd be the equivalent of what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

If you don't have the budget to get someone to build the site you probably don't have the budget to promote it, and unless your site is the one in a million (or so) that goes viral it's just going to die without traffic. Most experienced designers and developers know this, which is why no one in their right mind will offer their services for free.

Your best bet would be to try find someone in college looking for a project and work with them on it.

Thanks for the advice.

Thats all I was looking for - I would love to go learn how to programme - but I feel that would take a few years and years of experience.

But like a guy who comes up with a new type widget - most cannot pay to build a prototype and need help either from a innovation and development company or a college or something .

There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Thanks for the advice.

Thats all I was looking for - I would love to go learn how to programme - but I feel that would take a few years and years of experience.

But like a guy who comes up with a new type widget - most cannot pay to build a prototype and need help either from a innovation and development company or a college or something .

There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

You're an idiot.

Takes an investment of years of time and thousands in money. That investment demands an appropriate return i.e. the pay cheque. The vague possibility of future revenue doesn't cut the mustard.
    Incorrect unless the idea is an original world beater, which 99% are not, some prototype or other proof of concept is fundamental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Hi OP, i sent you a PM but heard nothing back.

Let me know either way, thanks

Advertisement