Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Dixon1983 wrote: »
    The semi final should not be played before the quarter. It's just common sense!. It don't happen in any other competition nationally or in any county I know .

What harm is it doing it makes no difference to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

uote:
    Originally Posted by Dixon1983 View Post
    The semi final should not be played before the quarter. It's just common sense!. It don't happen in any other competition nationally or in any county I know .
    celt262 is offline Report Post

How about consistency. There has to be a two week break between semi finals and final. What happens quater final on sunday is a draw? You now have one team in a final and could have to wait four to five weeks without competitive game. Not really ideal. It would have been the correct thing to play the quater final this weekend and play both semis next weekend provided there was no draw. if there was a draw they would put both semis back a week to give all teams equal time span to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

uote:
    Originally Posted by Dixon1983 View Post
    celt262 is offline Report Post

How about consistency. There has to be a two week break between semi finals and final. What happens quater final on sunday is a draw? You now have one team in a final and could have to wait four to five weeks without competitive game. Not really ideal. It would have been the correct thing to play the quater final this weekend and play both semis next weekend provided there was no draw. if there was a draw they would put both semis back a week to give all teams equal time span to prepare.

Will be grand...Cake walk for the Gaels whatever way you look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Cute Shercock hoors on hoganstand posting about Killian Clarke's "broken ankle".
    We're not buying it lads:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Was in at the Ballinagh v Mullahoran game tonight - Ballinagh won 3-10 to 2-08. All the goals came in the first half. Very enjoyable game and Ballinagh are looking good. They play Kingscourt in the semi which will be another good test for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Intermediate final this saturday at 7pm
    this to me is bad form by the county board having a final on a saturday night and a senior semi final on a sunday when surely junior and intermediate finals should be on same day
    county board are surely telling both teams 'well done on getting to the final but seniors is much more important' ,
    best of luck to all 4 teams in junior and intermediate finals this weekend

I'd say both teams are glad to be in the final and not bothered about when it is.

Some people seem to like to have a go at the County Board at every chance despite not knowing what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Intermediate final this saturday at 7pm
    this to me is bad form by the county board having a final on a saturday night and a senior semi final on a sunday when surely junior and intermediate finals should be on same day
    county board are surely telling both teams 'well done on getting to the final but seniors is much more important' ,
    best of luck to all 4 teams in junior and intermediate finals this weekend
    I prefer matches under lights than on a Sundauy afternoon, but thats just personal preference

I prefer matches under lights than on a Sundauy afternoon, but thats just personal preference

Have to agree with you on this - really adds to the atmosphere.

As long as they stay on :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983

celt262 wrote: »
    I'd say both teams are glad to be in the final and not bothered about when it is.

Some people seem to like to have a go at the County Board at every chance despite not knowing what is going on.
    Well we have a full time paid secretary who really needs to be ran. Thank fcuk we will have a new chairman this year as Reilly has no interest whatsoever in club football.

Dixon1983 wrote: »
    Well we have a full time paid secretary who really needs to be ran. Thank fcuk we will have a new chairman this year as Reilly has no interest whatsoever in club football.
    B

Without a doubt they have little or no interest in club football. But in this instance the Intermediate final would not have been just landed on the clubs for a Saturday evening there would have been agreements in place before the semi finals.

Any idea who is in the running for the new chairman?

B

Only name I have heard mentioned is Keogan ...shudders!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Quote:
    Originally Posted by celt262 View Post
    B

Gerry Brady from Gowna current vice chair is going for it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by celt262 View Post
    B

Gerry Brady from Gowna current vice chair is going for it.
    gerry Brady would be a great choice . He was always a good club man down through the years. And that's what's needed a chairman who will put club football back on the map . Our present chairman if that what you could call him had no interest in club football whatsoever

i doubt it very much , both teams deserve to play the game before a decent crowd on the sunday not after a minor final

please enlighten me as whats going on ???? i couldnt care less about the co.board to be honest so i dont know who that is aimed at ?

i doubt it very much , both teams deserve to play the game before a decent crowd on the sunday not after a minor final

please enlighten me as whats going on ???? i couldnt care less about the co.board to be honest so i dont know who that is aimed at ?

What's wrong with playing after a minor final?

The clubs were asked after the quarter finals would they play the final on the 4th and no club had a problem with it.

It's not aimed at anyone in particular the county board are incompetent in my opinion but they don't be at fault for everything that they get blamed for.

What's wrong with playing after a minor final?

The clubs were asked after the quarter finals would they play the final on the 4th and no club had a problem with it.

It's not aimed at anyone in particular the county board are incompetent in my opinion but they don't be at fault for everything that they get blamed for.

junior and intermediate finals were generally played the same day when i was playing (many moons ago)
    i just think it for the players win or lose it'll take away from the occasion , a lot of families with small children will be less likely to go at this time of the evening as opposed to a sunday afternoon

Any official word to when the Senior final is?

junior and intermediate finals were generally played the same day when i was playing (many moons ago)
    i just think it for the players win or lose it'll take away from the occasion , a lot of families with small children will be less likely to go at this time of the evening as opposed to a sunday afternoon

99.9999% players couldn't give a monkeys whether it is played on a Saturday evening or a Sunday afternoon, I would say.

Would also strongly disagree with your second statement. As a parent with small children Saturday evening is far more convenient to go to a match than a Sunday afternoon. I will get into Breffni on Saturday evening but will struggle to get in on Sunday for the Kingscourt/ Ballinagh game as that's when most family stuff happens and I'm sure I'm not alone on that.

There is a lot we can blame the county board for but this is not one of them. Plus the issue of the semi final being played before the quarter while not ideal was I'm guessing mainly down to the issue over Castlerahan's appeal and whether they were going to the DRA - exceptional circumstances than no-one could have foreseen.

Not sure if there is official word on when the final is to be played - either the 12th or the 19th I would imagine (depending on replays).

• Advertisement

so it wont be th 11th or the 18th ????
    i rest my case

so it wont be th 11th or the 18th ????
    i rest my case

Remind us what your case is?

Remind us what your case is?

just how the co.board dont give a flying f about junior or intermediate football in the county

i've spoken to supporters from both clubs that aren't exactly over the moon with the game on sat night
    i'm sure any player would play the final on a wednesday afternoon if they had to but if it was choice it would be sunday afternoon

the cootehill chairman voiced his displeasure at the 6 day turnaround on ''up for the match '' on cavan tv the other night , which may i add was a really good and lighthearted discussion from all 4 clubs , well done to all involved there

just how the co.board dont give a flying f about junior or intermediate football in the county

i've spoken to supporters from both clubs that aren't exactly over the moon with the game on sat night
    i'm sure any player would play the final on a wednesday afternoon if they had to but if it was choice it would be sunday afternoon

the cootehill chairman voiced his displeasure at the 6 day turnaround on ''up for the match '' on cavan tv the other night , which may i add was a really good and lighthearted discussion from all 4 clubs , well done to all involved there

But the Junior final is on a Sunday is that not right either?

I won't comment on the Cootehill chairman but ask anyone from Cootehill about him.

Well its a good complaint for them to have, that the game is on a Saturday I would love to be have people from my club complaining about it!

But the Junior final is on a Sunday is that not right either?

I won't comment on the Cootehill chairman but ask anyone from Cootehill about him.

Well its a good complaint for them to have, that the game is on a Saturday I would love to be have people from my club complaining about it!

my point merely was to state that the junior and intermediate finals should have been played on the sunday with the senior semi final on saturday evening and stated that a club chairman voiced his displeasure of having a 6 day turnaround
    i'm not getting into what seems like a character assassination on a man i dont know from adam and i've not intention of asking anyone from cootehill about him or any other chairman or club official from any club in the county for that matter

I think the senior semi should have been played Saturday nite with both junior and intermediate finals on Sunday. Senior final should be on the 19th barring a draw to give the semi winners at least 2 weeks.that hopefully without any draws would give the county champs 2 weeks to the Ulster first round. Any draws from here on in will much the Senior up no end. Maybe extra time should be considered as an option in advance in both semi and final to give the necessary recovery time. ..

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

In fairness, the fixtures for the intermediate championship (and others) have been a farce. No way should a final be played six days after a semi final, there should be at least two weeks in between the semi and the final.

If my own club, Shercock had made it through to the final, we would have played championship football six weeks in a row. Some could say "well you shouldn't have drawn two of those games" - nonsense. Our lads were out on their feet against Ballyhaise, I can only imagine what they'd be like today.

There is simply no care for the welfare of the players in this, it's the county board getting the fixtures arseways again and it stems from having a nonsensical Breffni League clogging up the footballing calendar (the calendar in general).

There should be one league competition and there should be no more than 14 games played along with a final (top two) and whatever playoffs are needed. It should be started at the end of February and finish in July. In my opinion 5 divisions of with eight teams playing home and away fixtures should be achievable and it allows teams to play against teams closer to their level which leads to better competition.

The championship should run in its current format and start earlier in the year to allow players get up to the required standard sooner rather than having to wait until July, August, September and the start of October. The championship in Donegal started in late April/early May this year and look at how they fared.

That is my opinion if it counts for anything.

Monaghan went out of the championship 2/3 weeks after us and their county final is Sunday . Down went out same day as us and their final is Sunday too. Can't believe why clubs are accepting this ****e from the fixtures committee year after year . There needs to be a proper debate on club football and the use of county players for club football if we still in the all ireland series. Club football will never improve or players will never have an interest in it if they going to be sitting in the house all summer cos the County Team are still in the championship . The Kilkenny club hurling championship was never affected by the County teams involvement in the All Ireland series and they won a lot more than we ever ****ing won or ever likely to win either!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rosmantic

Does anyone know an online site I can steam the intermediate match between ballyhaise and cootehill tonight

• Advertisement

Would agree about the league - farce this season.

There does need to be a debate about club football in the county but we do have a big shiney report done by Peter Quinn that should be implemented.

We have far too many senior clubs and until that elephant in the room is sorted we are going nowhere in Cavan.

Advertisement