Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Dixon1983 wrote: »
    We could have and should have beaten Monaghan last year with a bit of luck. Monaghan certainly haven't got any better since their Ulster win and we have the potential to greatly improve if we get our back room and game plan right. Throw in the fact that's it's a local derby where form goes out the window and it's also in Breffni. I'd rather gave monaghan any day for those reasons before any team in the other half. Also Their average age is way higher than ours.

Yeah given it's a derby and these games are always tight I can see your point in wanting them, but I'd still rate them higher than those teams.

Yous were very unlucky in 2013 alright, again a very tight game and yet they went and beat Donegal well in the final - again derbies can go any way. They might not look much improved but have introduced new players and got a couple of monkeys off their back regarding beating Tyrone and winning in Croke Park. Their 2014 obviously doesn't match up to their 2013 in that they didn't retain Ulster, but they did win their league and will play Division 1 in the spring.

Your average age would certainly be lower, but I'd have that down to Cavan having a very young team as opposed to Monaghan being old. I think I've read with a full team they only have 3 players over 27 who would definitely start, not an old team in my book. But of course with your recent underage success and young age profile there's alot of potential for the future - I'm only talking about 2015 here.

As I say, either way the winners will be confident of making the final and this game will could go either way. A good draw for Cavan whatever way you look at it. The home draw only sweetens the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983

shrewdness wrote: »
    Yeah given it's a derby and these games are always tight I can see your point in wanting them, but I'd still rate them higher than those teams.

Yous were very unlucky in 2013 alright, again a very tight game and yet they went and beat Donegal well in the final - again derbies can go any way. They might not look much improved but have introduced new players and got a couple of monkeys off their back regarding beating Tyrone and winning in Croke Park. Their 2014 obviously doesn't match up to their 2013 in that they didn't retain Ulster, but they did win their league and will play Division 1 in the spring.

Your average age would certainly be lower, but I'd have that down to Cavan having a very young team as opposed to Monaghan being old. I think I've read with a full team they only have 3 players over 27 who would definitely start, not an old team in my book. But of course with your recent underage success and young age profile there's alot of potential for the future - I'm only talking about 2015 here.

As I say, either way the winners will be confident of making the final and this game will could go either way. A good draw for Cavan whatever way you look at it. The home draw only sweetens the deal.
    I'd rate your manager very highly . Often thought he would be ideal for us especially after his success with Cavan Gaels.. Tell me if you had a choice of who you would play would you pick Cavan ahead of any other team from the other half??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

To say Monaghan are limited is absolutely ludicrous and disrespectful of a very good Monaghan team. They have got quality all over the park and this ageing team crap is a complete myth. They have moved on players of the calibre of Freeman and other more senior players are not playing as much and if anything they have got to be a better team. Monaghan biggest limitation is having a small pick and if key men are injured they may struggle. But they are way ahead of Cavan.

In saying all that I was happy with the draw - Monaghan are a better team than a lot of people give them credit for but I still prefer the idea of Monaghan in Breffni over playing Tyrone, Armagh or Donegal as they can bully Cavan out of games and we still don't have the cuteness to take them on at senior level. We won't have the same hang-ups against Monaghan because of the derby element and we have a fairly decent record against Monaghan and it's in Breffni and the prize is massive - effectively a free pass to an Ulster final (although knowing Cavan we could beat Monaghan and lose the semi :rolleyes:).

I can't wait for the game already - both teams know its a massive opportunity and both need to win it badly. Bring it on....

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Dixon1983 wrote: »
    . Thomas who? Johnstone has nothing to prove to anyone in Cavan regarding his ability. There are plenty of doughnuts already in the senior panel who can't take a score from 30m.,but Terence has a soft spot for them because they his former u21s. That's no way to run a county team. That panel is harder to get off than to get on.

You're obviously either a friend or hanger on of Johnston's, I see you joined the board during his transfer to Kildare to stick up for him and most of your posts since you joined have been related to Johnston.

Johnston had the talent to be a good intercounty player, he even was a good intercounty player in 2008/2009. Everything he's done since both on and off the field (the transfer saga) proves that he doesn't have the mentality to be an intercounty player. He'll probably get another few club titles with the Gaels and he'll be just another "I could have been great" player in Cavan and an nothing more than an embarrassing blot on Kildare GAA's history.

I'd like the sound of McHale coming, I know a Brigid's player who reckons McHale was the brains of the operation. When there was talk of McStay getting the Mayo job he had said to me it was only good for Mayo if McHale came too.

The draw has been kind to us, a home Game against Monaghan and then Fermanagh or Antrim to get into an Ulster final.. It will give the lads heart facing into the year. Monaghan will be very difficult to beat and if the game was now they'd be going in as heavy favourites. Our gameplan needs tweaking (not complete overhall as the hysterical support will cry for) and with a bit of luck we'll be able to have all our best players fit come Championship time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983

You're obviously either a friend or hanger on of Johnston's, I see you joined the board during his transfer to Kildare to stick up for him and most of your posts since you joined have been related to Johnston.

Johnston had the talent to be a good intercounty player, he even was a good intercounty player in 2008/2009. Everything he's done since both on and off the field (the transfer saga) proves that he doesn't have the mentality to be an intercounty player. He'll probably get another few club titles with the Gaels and he'll be just another "I could have been great" player in Cavan and an nothing more than an embarrassing blot on Kildare GAA's history.

I'd like the sound of McHale coming, I know a Brigid's player who reckons McHale was the brains of the operation. When there was talk of McStay getting the Mayo job he had said to me it was only good for Mayo if McHale came too.

The draw has been kind to us, a home Game against Monaghan and then Fermanagh or Antrim to get into an Ulster final.. It will give the lads heart facing into the year. Monaghan will be very difficult to beat and if the game was now they'd be going in as heavy favourites. Our gameplan needs tweaking (not complete overhall as the hysterical support will cry for) and with a bit of luck we'll be able to have all our best players fit come Championship time.
    Let's get one thing straight I ain't no mate or friend of Johnston. But I reckon he is as good as we have and he would certainly give as much commitment as Killian Clarke gave last year. With regard to our game plan needing tweaking???? What actually is our game plan? I fail to spot it? Enlighten me please.

• Advertisement

Well then perhaps you're a hanger on or simply an 'admirer' of Johnston given that you joined the board and almost every time you have posted on here has been regarding Johnston or to berate Cavan Management/County Board.

Killian Clarke has already achieved much more in a Cavan jersey than Johnston every did and he's still only 21. Has the attitude and the mentality to become a mainstay for Cavan for years to come, put in a serious shift for 3 years with consecutive U21 and Senior Campaigns. Nobody would begrudge the lad a summer in the states. And don't forget Johnston left for America too when he was around the same age.

If you fail to spot our game plan given how blatantly obvious is then I don't think me explaining it will help. We were poor this Championship undoubtedly but the same game plan won us promotion to Div 2 and got us to an AIQF. You seem to want to put the blame for any failures on Terry, Anthony Forde, the county board, the substandard players that Terry brings in just because they were in his U21 teams... I'm curious as to what you think the solution for Cavan football to start winning trophies is.. Do you keep pointing fingers and dumping players/management and hope that eventually you hit on a winning formula?

I'm genuinely curious here as to what you feel should be done for the Cavan County team that isn't being done? Who are the players that aren't on the panel or the team that are better than what we're fielding at the moment?

I feel sorry for someone who's obviously a GAA supporter but can only seem to find anger and bitterness towards his county team. Do you get enjoyment when we win when you seem to harbour so much resentment towards the management and certain players? Do you get that sense of disappointment and sadness when we lose or do you turn straight to anger and blame?

I presume Dixon1983s foul mouthed rant at 4am was removed by Mods? Account closed now.. Hopefully the chap is seeking help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

by sounds of things Kingscourt hard done by,harsh sending off and then at the end Cavan Gaels players acting like tramps kicking balls of the goalkeepers tee and selectors coming onto the pitch taking tee away from GK.

now fighting in the stands. was always the way when these 2 teams met in all age levels.

Didn't see any fighting in the stands but yeah Kingscourt were very hard done by. Absolutely never a red card any day off the week and the ref didn't give it - it was McQuillan running the line that called it. Really felt sorry for Padraig Faulkner who was having a great game.

Also seen the best and worst of Seanie Johnston - some lovely points and then kicks the ball off the tee when the keeper was trying to take a quick free kick - really not nice to see and started all the agro.

Overall it was a good game of ball in perfect conditions - ultimately the 14 men just fell short - absolute exhibition of kicking from Barry Reilly but not enough on the day.

Nice to see Martin Dunne get a gallop towards the end too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

It was our old friend Seanie Johnston who kicked the ball off the goalies tee. That lad is some piece of work. I really hope he never plays for Cavan again. The sending off ruined the game, it will be a harsh lesson for young Faulkner.
    Superb display of free taking from Barry Reilly from kingscourt who deserved at least a draw but were out on their feet in the last few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Hearing that Kevin Downes in as selector with Liam McHale and Eoin Maguire strength and conditioning coach for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Very entertaining game of football. Faulkner was unfortunate, went for it 100%, never a sending off though.

Brilliant display from dead balls from Barry Reilly.

Johnston kicked a couple of nice points but gave quite a few balls away. Was his usual bad mannered self at the end. No class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

I didn't make the game but listened on Northern Sound. The lads were saying that they didn't thing it was even a yellow card and were shocked when the red was shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

The white jersey suited Johnston.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Very entertaining game of football. Faulkner was unfortunate, went for it 100%, never a sending off though.

Johnston kicked a couple of nice points but gave quite a few balls away. Was his usual bad mannered self at the end. No class.

I suggest you watch the video of the sending off and you will change your mind. The ball was well gone when the collision took place. Murphy was open and by god did Faulkner take his chance to nail him.

You mention no class. After Lyng scored the point the goalkeeper and fullback struck Johnston so while he kicked the ball of the tee which was wrong and he was correctly booked for it he got a lot of abuse beforehand.

No matter what you thing of the Refs yesterday it was wrong to spit down on him and his linesmen at half time as they went down the tunnel as well as throw plastic bottles .It was also wrong for the player to strike the ref after the game. It was also wrong fro Reilly when he scored his last free kick to run over towards Canavan and extend his middle finger to him. There was no class in any of the action by Kingscourt people.

Cavan Gaels are no angels and have their fair share of people who misbehave on and off the field,but lets be fair and tell both side when we talk about no class and tramps !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sounds like a very spiteful game of football. Not good for the game.

I suggest you watch the video of the sending off and you will change your mind. The ball was well gone when the collision took place. Murphy was open and by god did Faulkner take his chance to nail him.

You mention no class. After Lyng scored the point the goalkeeper and fullback struck Johnston so while he kicked the ball of the tee which was wrong and he was correctly booked for it he got a lot of abuse beforehand.

No matter what you thing of the Refs yesterday it was wrong to spit down on him and his linesmen at half time as they went down the tunnel as well as throw plastic bottles .It was also wrong for the player to strike the ref after the game. It was also wrong fro Reilly when he scored his last free kick to run over towards Canavan and extend his middle finger to him. There was no class in any of the action by Kingscourt people.

Cavan Gaels are no angels and have their fair share of people who misbehave on and off the field,but lets be fair and tell both side when we talk about no class and tramps !!!!!

I never mentioned the word 'tramps', I just said the player in question had no class. I wasn't aware of any of the stuff that happened under the stand or post the game finishing, but if as described, also despicable behavior.

Faulkner had to go for the ball, he was late, no question about that but it was a challenge in an effort to win the ball, never a sending off, yellow at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    I never mentioned the word 'tramps', I just said the player in question had no class. I wasn't aware of any of the stuff that happened under the stand or post the game finishing, but if as described, also despicable behavior.

Faulkner had to go for the ball, he was late, no question about that but it was a challenge in an effort to win the ball, never a sending off, yellow at worst.

Was it the linesman or the referee who spotted the incident with Faulkner? I have been told it was McQuillan on the line. Centre of attention again so. A detestable referee

Was it the linesman or the referee who spotted the incident with Faulkner? I have been told it was McQuillan on the line. Centre of attention again so. A detestable referee

Undoubtedly McQuillan who made the decision to send him off.

Sounds like a very spiteful game of football. Not good for the game.

Far from it, great game, high intensity with some excellent scores throughout. The Gaels when they moved at pace kicked some top notch team scores.

• Advertisement

It was also wrong fro Reilly when he scored his last free kick to run over towards Canavan and extend his middle finger to him. There was no class in any of the action by Kingscourt people.

Can anyone confirm this happening? Very funny if true!

Can anyone confirm this happening? Very funny if true!

Didn't see that but I'd say it's entirely possible. The "funniest" thing I saw was early in the second half, kingscourt kicked a couple of points and one of the Gaels forwards decided to lie on the ground telling the ref that he was injured. The ref told him to get up which he did and then ran twenty yards after his man.

Would love to see that video - any links??

You are the only one to mention any of the other things that happened so will take with a pinch of salt.

I did see a member of the Kingscourt back room team run on to the field and have to be restrained after the sending off but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Sounds like neither side covered themselves in glory . I know the stakes are high but if that kind of crap is going on both sides need to be reprimanded . But given the clubs involved politics will rule that wont happen .
    If the ref was assaulted or spat on that is not good enough and cant be tolerated .

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Would love to see that video - any links??

You are the only one to mention any of the other things that happened so will take with a pinch of salt.

I did see a member of the Kingscourt back room team run on to the field and have to be restrained after the sending off but that was it.

Ah tom, you should have left it there. Just for the crack:D. Sure most lads would agree with you anyway.

Tom if you were there did you see the aftermath of the thrown bottle in the uncovered stand? A Stewart took a person involved to task and he was then followed and confronted by other supporters. The Gardai are involved now and have taken the CCTV which caught everything that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

tanko wrote: »
    Didn't see that but I'd say it's entirely possible. The "funniest" thing I saw was early in the second half, kingscourt kicked a couple of points and one of the Gaels forwards decided to lie on the ground telling the ref that he was injured. The ref told him to get up which he did and then ran twenty yards after his man.
    To be fair to Oliver Og, he doesnt fall for the "tactical injuries" to slow the game down, and rightly so

Tom if you were there did you see the aftermath of the thrown bottle in the uncovered stand? A Stewart took a person involved to task and he was then followed and confronted by other supporters. The Gardai are involved now and have taken the CCTV which caught everything that happened.

I didn't but I was on the terrace's on the far side off the field. But if that stuff was going on hopefully the Gardai will deal with it as it has no place in a GAA match.

But back to things that happened on the field.

The red card was in my view the wrong call - not the first time McQuillan has got a major decision wrong and in my view McQuillan didn't have the right position to make the call. The ball was 50/50 and there to be won - everyone in the ground could see that Faulkner had lined Murphy up for the shoulder and was 100% committed to winning the ball. Murphy could see it coming too and tried to pull out and that is why he got hurt and McQuillan only seen the aftermath. Ollie didn't even flinch - he followed the play so it was clear to him that it was a fair challenge. The challenge reminded me of Gollogly's on McHugh in last year's Ulster final - hard and tough and nobody likes to see a player get injured but that doesn't make it a red card incident.

Someone else mentioned another issue where a gaels player lay down when he got a shoulder and Ollie basically laughed at him. Kingscourt have never feared the gaels and have always stood toe to toe with them and there has always been animosity between the teams. Niall Lynch has added a new dimension of physicality to Kingscourt since he took over and you could see that in Kingscourt this year. The gaels have none of that - it's too easy to out physical them - apart from Chesty they have no physically imposing players and I fear that again they will be eaten alive in Ulster.

The gaels will be destroyed by Ballinderry and there will be no tolerance for the dark arts they employ in the county from Ulster referees as we have seen time and time again in the Ulster championship - have the gaels ever finished a game in Ulster with the full compliment?

I really enjoyed the game on Sunday but the worry is that in the county context the best performers on the field are for various reasons not going to be part of the county set up and that is a worry for Cavan.

Ps - can you use the quote tags around the text you are quoting - it's difficult to follow the thread otherwise.

Tom I have been to nearly ever senior match in the championship this year.I missed a couple due to a couple of matches clashing. I am not a member or supporter of any senior club my own club is intermediate. I can honestly say Cavan Gaels have not used any "dark arts" different than any other senior team in the county have used.
    I checked up on the forum the last time the Gaels played in Ulster was against Glenswilly in 2011 they finished with full compliment- to ask the question have they ever is not really fair. Try to be open minded and remember every club has an element that people would prefer not to be there and every club has good decent people - Gaels included.

• Advertisement

Tom I have been to nearly ever senior match in the championship this year.I missed a couple due to a couple of matches clashing. I am not a member or supporter of any senior club my own club is intermediate. I can honestly say Cavan Gaels have not used any "dark arts" different than any other senior team in the county have used.
    I checked up on the forum the last time the Gaels played in Ulster was against Glenswilly in 2011 they finished with full compliment- to ask the question have they ever is not really fair. Try to be open minded and remember every club has an element that people would prefer not to be there and every club has good decent people - Gaels included.

I've been going to enough matches over the years to comment on what I see and to be fair - what have I said on here about Cavan Gaels that is not open - minded??

I know a lot of people who are involved in the gaels -same as most other clubs in the county. I have defended Seanie Johnston on this forum for a long time so it's very unfair to represent anything I say as otherwise.

I called the sending off as I seen it and I had a very good view of it - but if you have a video of it I would love if you posted it up here.

Re the Gaels in Ulster, anyone who follows Cavan football knows that indiscipline has cost them manys the game in Ulster - the facts will back me up on that. I've been at most of the gaels games in Ulster and I 100% stand over that statement - I have always been behind whatever team wins the county championship in Ulster. But to be balanced about it indiscipline is not exclusive to Cavan Gaels and even the county team found in difficult to finish a match with 15 players up until the last few years.

I also stand over what I said about how Cavan Gaels will fare against Ballinderry - they are a light team that lack a real physical presence and that will cost them. They struggle against strong physical teams - I'd love to be proven wrong on this but I doubt I will be.

A lot of debate on the gaels is cast in black and white and I do genuinely believe that the gaels do cultivate the siege mentality and the "nobody likes us but we don't care" attitude - it even came across in the speeches Sunday (believe it or not I stayed to congratulate them after the final whistle :D).

I do also stand over what I said about the gaels using the darker side of the game to see them over the line - the constant encroaching by the bench - if you were at the Lacken replay you would have seen the constant battle the linesman had to keep them off the field of play. The winding up of players is also a constant theme over the years - and yes other teams do it too.

It's not a debate worth having to be honest because people don't change their minds on things like this. What concerns me more is the state of the club football scene in Cavan and despite a few decent games this year its as bad as ever.

Advertisement