Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

for those abroad, this game will be on GAA GO (the online official RTE/ GAA match Streaming Service)

Normally, its a tenner a game, but those of us signed up for the Newsletter theres a code for 50% off.
    Not sure if I can post it here, but I'll pass it to anyone who drops a PM
    Even if its a personal code, I've the subscription anyhow so dont need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

the closer we get to the game the more confident I am feeling.
    We need to source some firepower on the day, someone needs to chip in with 6 points and maybe a couple of goals and I reckon we are in with a shout. Monaghan have that firepower and it is where they can hurt us. Hopefully we can keep McManus and co quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Senior Team in Full:
    Conor Gilsenan (Bailieboro), Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), James McEnroe (Ramor Utd), Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge), Damien O’Reilly (Belturbet), Tomas Corr (Denn), Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Dara McVeety (Crosserlough), Michael Argue (Bailieboro), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels), Niall McDermott (Ballinagh).

Notable absentee is Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

If the teams line out as named with Clarke missing and Monaghan with a full deck to choose from we could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    If the teams line out as named with Clarke missing and Monaghan with a full deck to choose from we could be in trouble.

Apart from Clarke, this is our strongest team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Senior Team in Full:
    Conor Gilsenan (Bailieboro), Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), James McEnroe (Ramor Utd), Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge), Damien O’Reilly (Belturbet), Tomas Corr (Denn), Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar), Dara McVeety (Crosserlough), Michael Argue (Bailieboro), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels), Niall McDermott (Ballinagh).

Notable absentee is Clarke.

Clarke is still touch and go I've heard. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start on Sunday.

That probably is our strongest team. A few people I've spoken to this morning expect Mackey and Argue to switch but I hope Argue stays on the 40 to support our midfield and win some ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I suppose the thing about leaving Argue inside for periods during the game is how Monaghan will be forced to react. It will be entirely different from Dunne and McDermott being inside and Monaghan will need to set up accordingly. He's 6'7" and while I don't think he will be a full forward into the future, any man that size takes watching. Hopefully that frees up some space for players raiding forward or for Martin Dunne to pick off a few scores.

Championship has gone off pretty much as expected so far, hopefully we can provide the first shock of the year. Draw at 7/1 looks tempting.

I suppose the thing about leaving Argue inside for periods during the game is how Monaghan will be forced to react. It will be entirely different from Dunne and McDermott being inside and Monaghan will need to set up accordingly. He's 6'7" and while I don't think he will be a full forward into the future, any man that size takes watching. Hopefully that frees up some space for players raiding forward or for Martin Dunne to pick off a few scores.

Championship has gone off pretty much as expected so far, hopefully we can provide the first shock of the year. Draw at 7/1 looks tempting.

Dunne really needs to make a statement on Sunday if he's to remain a member of the panel for me. He has to show he has a desire to get stuck in. There's no point shying out of a game because he gets a few digs and some verbals.

McDermott is good at winning ball. There's no reason the high ball into him wouldn't work. That said, you have to try and draw Monaghan players out the pitch so he's isolated enough.

Unfortunately, we're not going to have much on our bench now that can make an impact and take the game to Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Monaghan have the advantage of playing their football in div one and did very well reaching the semi final, in Conor McManus they have the best forward between the sides but Cavan have the defenders and good defensive system to hold him to a few scores. Monaghan only won by one point in this fixture in Clones two years ago on route to winning Ulster i have a feeling Cavan with home advantage now will nick this game by a point with Gearoid McKiernan,Mackey,Reilly giving commanding performances

Cavan 0-14 Monaghan 1-10

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Unfortunately, we're not going to have much on our bench now that can make an impact and take the game to Monaghan.[/QUOTE]

Ciaran Brady, Niall Murray and Jack brady are playing well and could make an impact..if the game opened up towards the last 15 Barry reilly would be a decent option. Also think Josh Hayes is a great defendr but he may not be ready for championship after his time out?

If we keep out discipline this weekend, we have a good chance. Also reckon Clarke will play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

Seen the full panel posted on HS and Clarke definitely wasn't on it so if that was correct he can't play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

The difference in these dogged affairs usually comes down to one player and that player is Conor McManuas, Cavan will set out as defensively as any team in the championship so far, but will it be enough to subdue McManuas, if he plays anything like he did against the Dubs in the league semi.Monaghan pretty much held their own in division 1 while Cavan huffed and puffed their way through a mediocre div2 campaign. If it wasn't a local derby there could only be one winner and that would be Monaghan and I still believe that will be the case come Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

That time of the year again .......yeeehaaw
    i'll travel tomorrow more in hope than expectation, we have a decent record against monaghan and i'd hope that we'll be in touching distance going into the last 10 minutes
    midfield is a big must win battle for us and hopefully the rumours of darren hughes injury are not just that as he can impose himself on games more than the others
    anyway i hope to be posting here tomorrow night on a great win so lets hope the sun is shining and the wind on our backs

cavan 4 sam (yip you heard here first but don't tell anyone just yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Is it just me or is there very little build-up or excitement around the place leading up to this match. Was around Cavan town this evening and apart from a few flags being put up at the Slieve Rossa you would have no idea that there was a championship game involving Cavan tomorrow. Hasn't really being the usual buzz during the week. Or maybe everyone is just nervous about it.

I think it is a massive game for Cavan and if we lose there will be enormous pressure on the management to go. I see already the pressure is being turned up with Stephen King calling for a more attack minded approach.

I'm quietly confident that we can edge this although the loss of Killian Clarke is a definite blow as he was in good form this year. We need a big big game from Gearoid if we are to win. I genuinely think Rory Dunne can keep McManus quiet and we can edge midfield. Getting enough scores could be the issue.

Really looking forward to seeing this new look minor team - I know we keep hearing about great minor teams coming every year but I think this years minors are as good as we've had in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there very little build-up or excitement around the place leading up to this match. Was around Cavan town this evening and apart from a few flags being put up at the Slieve Rossa you would have no idea that there was a championship game involving Cavan tomorrow. Hasn't really being the usual buzz during the week. Or maybe everyone is just nervous about it.

I think it is a massive game for Cavan and if we lose there will be enormous pressure on the management to go. I see already the pressure is being turned up with Stephen King calling for a more attack minded approach.

I'm quietly confident that we can edge this although the loss of Killian Clarke is a definite blow as he was in good form this year. We need a big big game from Gearoid if we are to win. I genuinely think Rory Dunne can keep McManus quiet and we can edge midfield. Getting enough scores could be the issue.

Really looking forward to seeing this new look minor team - I know we keep hearing about great minor teams coming every year but I think this years minors are as good as we've had in a while.

You're right about the lack of excitement and build up. After what happened in the championship and qualifiers last year most Cavan supporters haven't much confidence about tomorrow and it's hard to blame them.
    Players leaving the panel hasn't helped the mood either.
    Killian clarke would be a huge loss if not fit, his man marking ability, pace and fielding are hard to replace.
    I think Monaghan have improved a lot since we last played them in clones and did very well in division one this year. They are a tough physical team while we lack power and ball winning ability in the forwards. We could really do with a Jason Reilly/Fintan Cahill type player on the edge of the square. It's hard to see where our scores are going to come from.
    It's hard to see past a monaghan win but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Rumour here in Breffni is Galligan to start in goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Rumour is 100% right

Rumour is 100% right

I hope so too but just relaying what is doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jebus that's some murdering of the anthem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Cavans only tactics, pack the defense, go down easily to win soft fouls and then kick it long into the clumsy giant. Its gonna be a long afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Cavan have been extremely wasteful.The long balls into Argue have been poor and when a decent one goes into him that he can get, there isn't a Cavan player within 15 yards of him for him to break or pop a hand pass off to.They've conceded far too many stupid frees as well.

They picked up a couple of nice points from turnovers in fairness. Unless Clerkin comes and shakes things up I think cavan might do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

What did Joe say about Mark Morrissey?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Tristram wrote: »

Something affectionate It seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Must have been quite off the mark for the producers to have an apology out on air right after the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

He said "Return of the Mack" was a one hit wonder. Oh...wait...that was Mark Morrison. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Wasn't about Mark Morrissey. It was about Marty Morrissey. He said Cavan's football is as ugly as Marty Morrissey. Typical crass Brolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I'm a fan brolly at times in he's views correct mostly however views regards current state football kerry were just nonsense and he's actually becoming hyorrcrite

He said cavan football was as ugly as marty which appalling appalling utterly appalling slant marty as that's personal insult and one goes on bout moral ethics he's morals left him there

Also cavan have played ugly football at times past but make slant them when they have no choice play that way as gung ho they be destroyed they deserve imo credit playing to strengths and trying win rather play naively in going full out open football and loose
    He's harsh cavan

Hear brolly goes on bout sledging he's some hyorrcrite what he said regards Morrissey appearance
    He tried laugh off and say out context in he's half hearted apology but lester pulled him and said correctly he was out order

He should get warned by rte

I have no problem brolly blunt no nonsense direct punditry as games craves it but person abuse Morrissey national tv is appalling imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Are Joe Brolly and Tomas O Se sitting in Thurles ?

• Advertisement

He said cavan football was as ugly as Marty

Advertisement