Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Brolly takes a nasty personal dig at Marty Morrissey and then goes on to talk about how nasty personal stuff has no place in the game? Is there no end to the the mans hypocrisy? :eek:

It's a terrible pity that he acts like an utter clown like this, so often, as it really detracts from a lot of the very valid points he makes on other matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Stoner wrote: »
    He said cavan football was as ugly as Marty

I don't even get that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Brolly takes a nasty personal dig at Marty Morrissey and then goes on to talk about how nasty personal stuff has no place in the game? Is there no end to the the mans hypocrisy? :eek:

It's a terrible pity that he acts like an utter clown like this, so often, as it really detracts from a lot of the very valid points he makes on other matters.

He's going from credible pundit to one who runs with hair chases with hound just make noise as power he voice was he's weapon but going way he went today he'll find he loose credibility very fast and as Spillane said one all Ireland joe
    Appalling slant on marty and worse again he's pathic half hearted snigger of an apology

If I was marty I'd tell him nicest possible way what he could do with he's apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,369 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

So that's what Joe said. Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Good game of football.What the hell was Martin Dunne at at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

The ref is a complete disgrace. He let the Monaghan lads away with rampant over carrying all day long. Completely biased toward Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Very disappointing, particularly after being four points up. Never had the confidence to press home the lead. Very poor in the last part of the match. Big opportunity thrown away as its Fermanagh/Antrim in the semi.

Brolly has had it in for Cavan since Cavan beat Derry in the qualifiers a few years ago. Probably also trying to stamp his territory, in a very poor manner, after Spillane made a hoop of him on The Late Late Show.

He basically said Cavan's only chance of progressing is if they get Clare. He doesn't even realise that Clare beat Limerick yesterday so are still in Munster. That said, he's probably that confused that he thinks Clare football is managed by Davy.

Are Joe Brolly and Tomas O Se sitting in Thurles ?

Yes, because the main feature today is Limerick - Clare.

Very Bored wrote: »

Brolly has had it in for Cavan since Cavan beat Derry in the qualifiers a few years ago. Probably also trying to stamp his territory, in a very poor manner, after Spillane made a hoop of him on The Late Late Show.

He basically said Cavan's only chance of progressing is if they get Clare. He doesn't even realise that Clare beat Limerick yesterday so are still in Munster. That said, he's probably that confused that he thinks Clare football is managed by Davy.

He has it in for Clare too.
    First a go at Marty, then a go at his county's footballers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

The ref is a complete disgrace. He let the Monaghan lads away with rampant over carrying all day long. Completely biased toward Monaghan.

Well thats nonsense. Blatant peno for a trip on Moen, he blew up for over carrying on 2 or 3 occasions against Monaghan. If anything, he was more bias to Cavan. You can't blame the ref for your team inadequacies. The tactic of long balls into a tall lad and then naming of an outfield distance free taker in goal, both of which failed spectacularly. Its simple Monaghan are a far better team than Cavan and it would have been a travesty if Cavan progressed. You'll enjoy the back door.

• Advertisement

Yes, because the main feature today is Limerick - Clare.

Which they aren't even going to comment on.
    Seems odd, surely they'd have more insight if they're actually at the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Cavan were 4 points up at one stage. Cavan lads have only themselves to blame.

He has it in for Clare too.
    First a go at Marty, then a go at his county's footballers

Now I realise why he said Clare.

As Spillane said of him on The Late Late Show "one All Ireland, no-one gives a s***e".

Why does he have it in for Clare though?

Which they aren't even going to comment on.
    Seems odd, surely they'd have more insight if they're actually at the game

Yes, but the anchor, Lyster, is in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

Very disappointing, particularly after being four points up. Never had the confidence to press home the lead. Very poor in the last part of the match. Big opportunity thrown away as its Fermanagh/Antrim in the semi.

He didn't say that was Cavans only chance of progressing. He said Clare were the only chance of monaghan meeting a team as defensive as Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Cavans only tactics, pack the defense, go down easily to win soft fouls and then kick it long into the clumsy giant. Its gonna be a long afternoon.

You only joined boards.ie to have a go at Cavan but you actually described Monaghan tactics for which they got plent of frees but anyone from Ulster knew they would with Hughes in charge. You can now close your account with boards, your underhand work is done here...typical mouthy sneaky Monaghan man I assume...:p

jethro081 wrote: »
    He didn't say that was Cavans only chance of progressing. He said Clare were the only chance of monaghan meeting a team as defensive as Cavan.

Maybe I misheard him, he was still continuing his vendetta towards Cavan either way.

muincav wrote: »
    You only joined boards.ie to have a go at Cavan but you actually described Monaghan tactics for which they got plent of frees but anyone from Ulster knew they would with Hughes in charge. You can now close your account with boards, your underhand work is done here...typical mouthy sneaky Monaghan man I assume...:p

Let him off... Monaghan aren't used to doing well... they only have old boots in their trophy room sure.

I'm just telling it like it is. I'm astounded to hear that Cavan people feel aggrieved after that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Both teams were denied a penalty, the referee was extremely poor. Blew up far too much and Cavan were hard done by, Martin Reilly was dragged in by the Monaghan player and got a black. Terrible stuff. But ultimately Cavan lost because they failed to press home the advantage when 4 points up and McManus' class told in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

I'm just telling it like it is. I'm astounded to hear that Cavan people feel aggrieved after that game.

You must have been watching a differen game-Reilly got black carded and Gollogly commited the exact same foul and didnt...Every time McManus ran with the ball HE was holding the Cavan players jersey -I dont mind a player using his strength but he gets away with Cheating....what you should do is ask a neutral who understands the game how biased the ref was....enough said...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

Cavan will be kicking themselves after that, Monaghan were there for the taking, no intensity, nearly looked nervous & unsettled until the last 15 mins. How come Mackey was taken off? Felt like he was the only Cavan player that could of opened up the monaghan defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

You must have been watching a differen game-Reilly got black carded and Gollogly commited the exact same foul and didnt...Every time McManus ran with the ball HE was holding the Cavan players jersey -I dont mind a player using his strength but he gets away with Cheating....what you should do is ask a neutral who understands the game how biased the ref was....enough said...

In fairness though I felt that he gave a good few soft frees to Cavan in the first half too. Both teams defo got handed a few decisions but you can't blame the ref for losing that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Firstly well done to the minors. Kicking 2.17 is some going. This team could go a long way.

Secondly credit to Hyland for making the brave calls. Galligan should now be first choice keeper. Kick outs were excellent.

Killian Clarke will be a better 14 than argue but a positive sign that he is willing to change the system.

We can have no complaints although I thought the ref was poor. Monaghan had the better bench and McManus is a touch of class.

Lets hope we can keep this group together for a real crack at the back door. I know its a cliché but we are making progress.

Seriously start a Monaghan thread would be a good addition to the forum and better than winding up Cavan posters here. Well done to Monaghan btw. Hope ye go all the way. Today was a good advert for the positives in Ulster football

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm not a Cavan man and I thought the referee gave Monaghan a load of very soft frees. However Cavan kicked it away with 11 wides. They need to unearth a few forwards. Monaghan were let off the hook today.

I think you're referring to him using his arm to keep players at bay, hardly jersey tugging or cheating. Each team were guilty of silly fouls, the most sinister went unpunished when Flanagan blatantly punched McManus in the side about 60 mins in while trying to gain possession. I think Cavan will be a tough nut to crack in the qualifiers, but they lack real match winners, in Cian Mackey they have a very talented playmaker but very little around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

The Minors have a great chance of an Ulster Final now, and if they get to the Ulster Final they'll automatically be in the All Ireland Quarter Final. Big opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hard luck cavan. I enjoyed the game, second half was exciting. Monaghan finished with their best 15 and Cavan started with their's I think.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Hard luck cavan. I enjoyed the game, second half was exciting. Monaghan finished with their best 15 and Cavan started with there's I think.

Yeah the bench made a massive difference for Monaghan and we simply don't have the quality to bring on.

In saying that Mackey is not 70 mins fit yet and hopefully he will get up to match pace quickly and a few more weeks should make a difference.

Killian Clarke was our form player during the league and he should be back soon and will make a big difference - I would play him on the square instead of Argue as he is better at making the ball stick and is a more natural forward and would be able to find space better.

The main thing is we need to work on between now and the qualifiers is the type/quality of ball going into the man on the square and finding a way to getting a forward close enough to the big man to win the breaking ball.

Advertisement