Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I see the hype train has started for the Minors already. We have people on the Hoganstand actually looking beyond an Ulster title. Crazy stuff.
    We've done this to so many decent Minor teams in the past, built them up for a fall. Antrim or Fermanagh will be tough in the next round and if we come through that there's a lot of good sides in the other half of the draw most notably Donegal who have a lot of last year's All Ireland Final team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I see the hype train has started for the Minors already. We have people on the Hoganstand actually looking beyond an Ulster title. Crazy stuff.
    We've done this to so many decent Minor teams in the past, built them up for a fall. Antrim or Fermanagh will be tough in the next round and if we come through that there's a lot of good sides in the other half of the draw most notably Donegal who have a lot of last year's All Ireland Final team.
    Agree completely with you. They are a very good team but from talking to a few Monaghan people during the week the consensus was that it was a poor team that Cavan would face.

Think Danny and Larry will keep feet on the ground. Seeing Larry sprint across the field today was a thing of beauty:)

Monaghan didn't look very sharp or cohesive at all. Still scored 1-9. Attack seems to be the focus of this side but not many teams at any level shoot their way to an Ulster title and at some stage need to batten down the hatches and slog it out. Great to see Larry involved. I don't think any level in Cavan has an outside manager?

What are people's view on Terry and Co. Should they go after this year? When is their official term up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Home and settled after what was a strange afternoon. Hugely disappointed with the result but not with the performance .as was our fear we just lacked the marquee forward that wins games we defended well . Broke well but the final third let us down
    Not enough movement inside
    Galligan was a breath of fresh air in goals his kickouts were very good and apart from the 2 frees that i believe we should have forwards to kick in the first place he was faultless
    Dunne perhaps should have been on earlier
    I think fermanagh if they meet monaghan will ask serious questions off them . Monaghan look like they have a lot of miles on the clock

What are people's view on Terry and Co. Should they go after this year? When is their official term up?

No absolutely not. Showed great bravery in changing the plan today. We are still progressing but do think he will be under pressure if we have a poor qualifiers.

I think the next Cavan manager will be Danny Brady but its too early for him yet so for sake of long term gain we need to stick with Hyland.

• Advertisement

Why do you think Brady would be next in line out of interest? I don't know much about the guy but his results with the underage seems to be very promising. Although I heard him interviewed the other day and he was saying something along the lines of "we don't believe in this so called 'sweeper' system teams are playing, we'll go out and go at them" I don't know it just struck me as a bit naive.

What I'd really hope is that this attacking approach he's adopted with the underage lads is that given time a couple of good forwards. The solid base for the senior team now and should be there for the next 4-5 years at least. If a bit of individual class can be added we'd be in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Sam Hain wrote: »
    I think you're referring to him using his arm to keep players at bay, hardly jersey tugging or cheating. Each team were guilty of silly fouls, the most sinister went unpunished when Flanagan blatantly punched McManus in the side about 60 mins in while trying to gain possession. I think Cavan will be a tough nut to crack in the qualifiers, but they lack real match winners, in Cian Mackey they have a very talented playmaker but very little around him.

Now Im convinced you were not watching the same match-McManus had a GRIP of the jersey and even the first score he got from a free he had been holding the jersey-I honestly think you are only here to stir the sh1t if you didnt see that....

Watching it back on the Sunday game, McLoughlin had a poor game and pulled out allowing Hughes to get through for that score.. Not like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Firstly well done to the minors. Kicking 2.17 is some going. This team could go a long way.

Secondly credit to Hyland for making the brave calls. Galligan should now be first choice keeper. Kick outs were excellent.

Killian Clarke will be a better 14 than argue but a positive sign that he is willing to change the system.

We can have no complaints although I thought the ref was poor. Monaghan had the better bench and McManus is a touch of class.

Lets hope we can keep this group together for a real crack at the back door. I know its a cliché but we are making progress.
    I think they should have persisted in letting the ball into Argue and it would have been more productive than passing the ball over and back across the field until the gave it away or Hughes gave Monaghan another soft free...Cavan like other years were their own worst enemy and must learn how to close out a game...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

No absolutely not. Showed great bravery in changing the plan today. We are still progressing but do think he will be under pressure if we have a poor qualifiers.

I think the next Cavan manager will be Danny Brady but its too early for him yet so for sake of long term gain we need to stick with Hyland.

I've heard from reliable sources that this will be Terry's last year. I believe he has a contract until 2016 but he's ready to step away this year himself. The commitment is just too much at this stage and he's been managing a county team at some level now since 2010.

In fairness, he's done great work but I feel like he's brought this group as far as he can. I'd love to see what a top bainestoir like McEntee from Crossmaglen or Kevin McStay could do with them.

The disappointing thing yesterday, despite the good performance, was that we didn't seem able to raise the intensity for the last fifteen minutes like we should have been. There's no plan B for when we need to chase a game. It was the same in the league.

And don't mind Brolly. He's had a vendetta about Cavan since '97 when we beat him and his beloved Derry in the Ulster final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

What a frustrating result. Monaghan were there for the taking, it was such a winnable game and not to get at least a draw is devastating. Monaghan you have to give them their dues they played the game like championship veterns. They did what winning teams do and the ground out the result despite not playing to their max. Some of the points in the last quarter were excellent. Shots from positions that Martin Dunne, Mcdermott and Galligan unfortunately were missing from. The wind didn't help but thats ultimately what was the difference.

Once again the referee was piss poor, watching back on the tv they were praising him to the hilt. So many soft frees and cards dished out for nothing. What was a good game anyway could really have been something special had he not been so penal.

Ultimately you have to take encouragement from the performance, most of all because there is so much room to improve yet we stood toe to toe with one of the countries premier teams. Galligan was excellent in goals. I thought we did okay on McManus considering what a remarkable talent he is. Alot of players have much more room to improve. Mcveety is only going to learn and get better. Mackey needs to learn that you cannot play well with reputation alone. He was poor yesterday

Also would add that as a Team we are far too nice. The likes of Gearoid and Argue need to use their substantial size and bulk and start throwing themselves around the place. Argue at full forward is an experiment which hasn't worked so far but I think with some coaching from McHale it very well could. What he was getting wrong time and again was his starting position, as a fullforward you have to get the full back moving away from goals

Jampip wrote: »
    I've heard from reliable sources that this will be Terry's last year. I believe he has a contract until 2016 but he's ready to step away this year himself. The commitment is just too much at this stage and he's been managing a county team at some level now since 2010.

In fairness, he's done great work but I feel like he's brought this group as far as he can. I'd love to see what a top bainestoir like McEntee from Crossmaglen or Kevin McStay could do with them.
    It would be a pity if he left now - I really think he is on the verge of a big breakthrough with this team and yesterday showed that he has learned a lot and wasn't afraid to make brave calls such as starting with Galligan and dropping Martin Dunne and starting with Argue.

It's a shame that the knives are out for the manager in some quarters and I think it would be a backward step if he were to move on/ be pushed out. Some people have very short memories about just how bad Cavan football was before Hyland took over and how far we have progressed since Hyland got involved.

We have had massive underage success and St. Pats is once again producing great football teams - the importance for Cavan football of this cannot be overstated. None of this is coincidence and is a result of a root and branch shake up of how football is Cavan is coached/ developed. We are now up there with the top counties in the country we how we develop young footballers. Hyland was instrumental in this and he has essentially taken a group of young lads from under 16s to senior football - the players trust him and the system and that is why we are now a better team - the sum is better than the individual parts in many ways. The tackling and working together in defence is phenomenal and you could see that yesterday with the minor team too. It's the Cavan way now and we should continue with this through stability in terms of management and set-up of the system. The minors yesterday showed how the system works at its best. I do agree that the senior side haven't perfected the system yet but yesterday was a big step forward in that and we played a lot more positively and while not perfect we could have taken out one of the big guns in Ulster football.

We now have some great coaches of our involved in the county and we should trust these to further the work that has been started. People like Finbarr O'Reilly in Pat's, the Larry and Peter and Danny Brady are where the future of Cavan football lies. Danny Brady has worked with the minors since they were first brought together as a development squad and as Terry Hyland has done I see him as bringing them right through the ranks up to senior level.

The bit in bold, I know you probably didn't intend it as such but it is hugely disrespectful to Hyland - it insinuates that he is not a top manager which he most certainly is. Also I don't get this rush to appoint an outside manager- We have gone for big names in the past and outside people and apart from Martin McHugh it got us nowhere - do people not remember how bad things were in Cavan in the last 15 years or so when we kept appointing manager after manager and sacking them at the first sign of trouble?

Couldn't agree more Tom_Joad

Anyone can see that we are a work in progress, we are constantly evolving and as McStay said on the Sunday game last night the players that we are going to be bringing into the team in the next couple of years are going to be improvements on what is already there. If terry decides to go himself then I think he will go with the best wishes off all of cavan and he fully deserves that. Anyone with a pot shot are fooling themselves.

One thing I would have to express disappointment with is the coverage given to cavan on the sunday game yesterday. Both in the live and highlights broadcast they clearly had a prejudiced point of view of how Cavan played football. The evidence of their eyes clearly not enough to see which team was providing most of the attacking impetus yesterday. The analysis was lazy and best and plain wrong. Ciaran Whelan in particular bemoaned the fact that the senior team were not making the most of the successful mcrory cup team - those lads are 16-19 years of age. What a stupid, ill researched statement. Brolly who is a walking abscess said that Cavan haven't done anything in the last 4 years. Well apart from getting promoted and sustaining status to Division 2 and having a run to the quarter finals in 2013. Seriously this guy has to be called out on his hypocrisy

It would be a pity if he left now - I really think he is on the verge of a big breakthrough with this team and yesterday showed that he has learned a lot and wasn't afraid to make brave calls such as starting with Galligan and dropping Martin Dunne and starting with Argue.

It's a shame that the knives are out for the manager in some quarters and I think it would be a backward step if he were to move on/ be pushed out. Some people have very short memories about just how bad Cavan football was before Hyland took over and how far we have progressed since Hyland got involved.

We have had massive underage success and St. Pats is once again producing great football teams - the importance for Cavan football of this cannot be overstated. None of this is coincidence and is a result of a root and branch shake up of how football is Cavan is coached/ developed. We are now up there with the top counties in the country we how we develop young footballers. Hyland was instrumental in this and he has essentially taken a group of young lads from under 16s to senior football - the players trust him and the system and that is why we are now a better team - the sum is better than the individual parts in many ways. The tackling and working together in defence is phenomenal and you could see that yesterday with the minor team too. It's the Cavan way now and we should continue with this through stability in terms of management and set-up of the system. The minors yesterday showed how the system works at its best. I do agree that the senior side haven't perfected the system yet but yesterday was a big step forward in that and we played a lot more positively and while not perfect we could have taken out one of the big guns in Ulster football.

We now have some great coaches of our involved in the county and we should trust these to further the work that has been started. People like Finbarr O'Reilly in Pat's, the Larry and Peter and Danny Brady are where the future of Cavan football lies. Danny Brady has worked with the minors since they were first brought together as a development squad and as Terry Hyland has done I see him as bringing them right through the ranks up to senior level.

The bit in bold, I know you probably didn't intend it as such but it is hugely disrespectful to Hyland - it insinuates that he is not a top manager which he most certainly is. Also I don't get this rush to appoint an outside manager- We have gone for big names in the past and outside people and apart from Martin McHugh it got us nowhere - do people not remember how bad things were in Cavan in the last 15 years or so when we kept appointing manager after manager and sacking them at the first sign of trouble?

I agree totally that he got the pre game selection right. He needed to make vital calls during the game and didn't though and that has been Terry's failing time and time again. Yesterday, the ball wasn't going into Argue second half and Terry said in his interview afterwards they had decided it wouldn't. So why not move him out to midfield or around it? Monaghan were using Hughes as a third man in midfield.

I think you're being a tad sensitive about the issue to be honest. The county is split into a big anti Terry and pro Terry divide. There's a lot to be said for a balanced view. Yes, Terry has brought the team forward hugely, no-one is disputing that. I remember the dark days under Tommy Carr. I also remember the dark days under Donal Keoghan, a man from within our own county. The best coach we had since McHugh was Eamonn Coleman and I feel he was really building something when his illness struck. He was an outside man. The fact is that we have a talented bunch of players. Whereas top coaches wouldn’t look at us previously, the chance is there now to attract a top notch coach, a man with proven credentials. At the end of the day Terry's only silverware at senior kevel is an intermediate championship with Lavey. I don't think that's being disrespectful to him. I have great respect for his previous achievements and what he has done with this team. But the team need to move up a level and I'm not sure he's the man to do that. The bottom line is that we've stagnated or gone backwards since 2013.

I also don't think this will be another occurrence of us sacking the manager. What I have been told is that Terry has decided it is time to walk away himself. I think he can do so with his head held high. Perhaps he himself has realised what I have said above.

I agree totally that he got the pre game selection right. He needed to make vital calls during the game and didn't though and that has been Terry's failing time and time again. Yesterday, the ball wasn't going into Argue second half and Terry said in his interview afterwards they had decided it wouldn't. So why not move him out to midfield or around it? Monaghan were using Hughes as a third man in midfield.

I think you're being a tad sensitive about the issue to be honest. The county is split into a big anti Terry and pro Terry divide. There's a lot to be said for a balanced view. Yes, Terry has brought the team forward hugely, no-one is disputing that. I remember the dark days under Tommy Carr. I also remember the dark days under Donal Keoghan, a man from within our own county. The best coach we had since McHugh was Eamonn Coleman and I feel he was really building something when his illness struck. He was an outside man. The fact is that we have a talented bunch of players. Whereas top coaches wouldn’t look at us previously, the chance is there now to attract a top notch coach, a man with proven credentials. At the end of the day Terry's only silverware at senior kevel is an intermediate championship with Lavey. I don't think that's being disrespectful to him. I have great respect for his previous achievements and what he has done with this team. But the team need to move up a level and I'm not sure he's the man to do that. The bottom line is that we've stagnated or gone backwards since 2013.

I also don't think this will be another occurrence of us sacking the manager. What I have been told is that Terry has decided it is time to walk away himself. I think he can do so with his head held high. Perhaps he himself has realised what I have said above.

I don't think I'm being too sensitive tbh - I remember just how bad the bad days in Cavan football were and I really think we are on the edge of something. Think McStay was bang on last night on the Sunday game, the players coming will be better than the forwards we currently have and we will be a better team for it. The risks of changing and bringing an outside big name are too great to be worth it in what the overall strategy is - an outside man will have his own ideas and bring his own team and it will be like starting all over again.

Re Eamonn Coleman - totally agree with you and it would have been great to see what he could have achieved with Cavan. But aside from himself and McHugh and Val to a lesser extent it's never worked for us. Now we have a structure in place and more talent to come through.

Question for you - what did Sean Boylan or Mickey Harte, Eamonn Fitzmaurice win as managers before they became county managers?

I don't agree that the county is split into a pro and anti Hyland divide - there is a cabal within Cavan football that would like nothing more than to get rid of the current management for their own ends and that's were a lot of this anti-Hyland stuff comes from and it really bugs me because I know who has and who has not the best interests of Cavan football at heart.

Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

One thing that frustrated me about Cavan yesterday. Argue early on showed glimpses of his potential if the ball going in was served up better. But then the next five balls in were pretty desperate. You have a huge target area left and right of Argue at full forward in which to drop the ball and they were still kicking it too wide, too short or too long. It really didn't look like the target man tactic had been practiced. The difference with Kerry and their useage of Donaghy is that they practice that ball into him in training.

One thing that frustrated me about Cavan yesterday. Argue early on showed glimpses of his potential if the ball going in was served up better. But then the next five balls in were pretty desperate. You have a huge target area left and right of Argue at full forward in which to drop the ball and they were still kicking it too wide, too short or too long. It really didn't look like the target man tactic had been practiced. The difference with Kerry and their useage of Donaghy is that they practice that ball into him in training.

I'd agree with you on that but I think that Killian Clarke was meant to be the target man and would be better at making the ball stick that Argue. We do need to get the right type of ball in to the target man if we are going to make the most of it.

You are spot on about Kerry practicing the type of ball to play in - there is a world of a difference between lumping the ball in and what Kerry do. I would hope that McHale and Co will be working on this between now and the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

I agree with the idea that getting rid of Hyland would be a seriously bad move. Cavan football has come on leaps and bounds since he came in. He should be allowed to see the project through to the end. As has already been said, he hasn't just reformed the senior team, but also the youth structures. I'm a Kilkenny man with Cavan family ties so I don't follow the Breffni as closely as I do the Cats so I'm not as family with the players. Yesterday, though, I was struck when RTÉ named the teams by how young a team Cavan has. Yesterday, they were one point short of a team that is likely to have a long summer. They also got themselves into a four point lead. Yes, there is an argument that says that losing after being well ahead is unacceptable, but a lack of killer instinct and knowing how to kill a game off is a problem common to young teams. Cavan are improving, I see no reason to get rid of Hyland, actually I actively oppose the idea.

• Advertisement

I don't think I'm being too sensitive tbh - I remember just how bad the bad days in Cavan football were and I really think we are on the edge of something. Think McStay was bang on last night on the Sunday game, the players coming will be better than the forwards we currently have and we will be a better team for it. The risks of changing and bringing an outside big name are too great to be worth it in what the overall strategy is - an outside man will have his own ideas and bring his own team and it will be like starting all over again.

Re Eamonn Coleman - totally agree with you and it would have been great to see what he could have achieved with Cavan. But aside from himself and McHugh and Val to a lesser extent it's never worked for us. Now we have a structure in place and more talent to come through.

Question for you - what did Sean Boylan or Mickey Harte, Eamonn Fitzmaurice win as managers before they became county managers?

I don't agree that the county is split into a pro and anti Hyland divide - there is a cabal within Cavan football that would like nothing more than to get rid of the current management for their own ends and that's were a lot of this anti-Hyland stuff comes from and it really bugs me because I know who has and who has not the best interests of Cavan football at heart.

I also remember the dark days of Cavan football and we now have a committed bunch of players who are talented and I want to see us make the most of that.

How many years were those men in the job before they won something though? Terry is in now, you could argue, his fifth year with this team as he was joint manager with Val in 2011. So you have 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. Next year will be his sixth year if he sticks around. My main issue is that he's still too slow on the line. The game was there to be won on Sunday and, while some players didn't perform to the level they should, there was a certain aspect of it lost on the sideline. The minute I saw Gallogly come on I knew we were in trouble as Monaghan were going to lift the intensity. The team reverted back into their shells and allowed Monaghan to come at us when we should have continued on.

We're also still not cute enough. Through the whole game the Monaghan lads were grabbing arms and winning frees. McManus did it a couple of times, there's pictures of him on Sportsfile doing it. Why hasn't a coach been employed to work on this? Our discipline was again poor also. Picking up three yellow cards. The free counter reads 38 to 18 I think I heard.

As I've said above, the main issue with Terry is that we're still suffering from the same problems that we did 3/4 years ago and, as the manager, he needs to bring the team forward which he isn't doing. I honestly think he has brought them as far as he can and that is why he knows it is time to move on himself. We've stagnated now.

There's also the issue of players leaving. Conor Gilly is apparently the latest to have gone on Sunday evening after the game.

I also remember the dark days of Cavan football and we now have a committed bunch of players who are talented and I want to see us make the most of that.
    There's also the issue of players leaving. Conor Gilly is apparently the latest to have gone on Sunday evening after the game.

emmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

My thoughts from Sunday:

Minors were excellent, great football to watch, and I hope they get to and win an Ulster Final

The Seniors.....wasnt expecting a win, and disgusted we didnt get it. Workrate effort etc was immense, and couldnt be prouder.

Just feel we lost a wee bit on the line....McEnroe going off just after ht was a strange call, maybe it was the fact he was on a yellow card.
    At 4 points up, why take off a half back and stick on a corner forward (Dunne for DOR) Dunne done well when he came on but I dont think it was the right call.
    Someone should have told Martin Dunne there was no time left on the last free

Ref gave a lot of soft frees to both sides but for some reason he gave Argue nothing. Wylie was hanging out of him all game, and even tripped him under the stand when he was about to contest a kickout.

And i dont know what the function of a linesman is...they surely see fouls and for some reason dont say it to the ref. In the first half under the terrace for example there was a throw ball that the linesman was 5 yards away from...Ref didnt see it, but why cant a miked up linesman say this? They seem afraid to do anything.

Hope we get a nice run in the qualifiers. After Sunday, I dont think there will be many teams who will fancy playing against us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I think in fairness the wind direction was very deceptive....it didnt seem to affect kickouts, but some of the diagonals kicked into Argue in the first half were ridiculously overhit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

Through the whole game the Monaghan lads were grabbing arms and winning frees. McManus did it a couple of times, there's pictures of him on Sportsfile doing it. Why hasn't a coach been employed to work on this? .

I would rather the Referee's would cope on to this than hiring someone to train the team to cheat.

celt262 wrote: »
    I would rather the Referee's would cope on to this than hiring someone to train the team to cheat.

At this stage, it isn't cheating. It's seen as clever play. Either way, the point stands. We need to be cuter on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

At this stage, it isn't cheating. It's seen as clever play. Either way, the point stands. We need to be cuter on the pitch.

I would call it cheating its no different than diving in soccer, some players are the masters of doing it like McManus and Sean Cavanagh.

I don't think you can really say that Hyland has had five years - he was appointed manager in April 2012. Val Andrews was the main man before.

On Gilly leaving - I hadn't heard about that but if it is true how in god's name can that be Hyland's fault??

I can understand Gilly being disappointed by being left out but the manager has to make calls for the good of the team and his call to drop him for Galligan was the right call. I really don't get what he can do different in these scenarios - keep playing someone in case they walk away???

Btw I saw that Lorcan Mulvey kicked 8 points for London at the weekend - Is there a move home on the cards for him - would like to see him back in a Cavan jersey.

Also Eugene Keating is getting regular football with Kilmacud which can only improve him.

These two alone would be a good addition to the team/ squad.

• Advertisement

I don't think you can really say that Hyland has had five years - he was appointed manager in April 2012. Val Andrews was the main man before.

On Gilly leaving - I hadn't heard about that but if it is true how in god's name can that be Hyland's fault??

I can understand Gilly being disappointed by being left out but the manager has to make calls for the good of the team and his call to drop him for Galligan was the right call. I really don't get what he can do different in these scenarios - keep playing someone in case they walk away???

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=134474

27 August 2010:
    Val Andrews and Terry Hyland were last night ratified as joint managers of the Cavan senior footballers.

Lacken clubman Hyland, who led the Cavan under 21 and junior sides to provincial final appearances this year, served as a selector with Andrews during his previous time involved with the county.

How is it Hyland's fault? Well there's obviously issues with players and management because so many have pulled back from the panel.
    Btw I saw that Lorcan Mulvey kicked 8 points for London at the weekend - Is there a move home on the cards for him - would like to see him back in a Cavan jersey.

Also Eugene Keating is getting regular football with Kilmacud which can only improve him.

These two alone would be a good addition to the team/ squad.

Keating won't play under Terry. Worth noting that 5 of Mulvey's 8 points were from frees. He's been tried before and isn't county standard. He struggled to get a game when he was at home for Cavan.
    celt262 wrote: »
    I would call it cheating its no different than diving in soccer, some players are the masters of doing it like McManus and Sean Cavanagh.

Yes, and even the best teams in soccer have realised that if you can't beat them, you need to join them.

Advertisement