Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

London up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Jampip wrote: »
    I totally agree. Our new GAA President has played right into his hands by responding.

100%- he's an attention seeking troll who needs controversy to survive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great draw - is it definitely in Ruislip (I thought I read a while back about it being redeveloped for the championship).

Nice to see the Minors will be playing in Breffni too in the next round.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Great draw - is it definitely in Ruislip (I thought I read a while back about it being redeveloped for the championship).

Nice to see the Minors will be playing in Breffni too in the next round.

Well there was no problem with Ruislip two weeks ago:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/0524/703402-london-roscommon/

Your list of questions is above. Still awaiting the responses with baited breath.

Things aren't going well in the Gaels. They are now bottom or near the bottom of Division 1A and Martin Dunne walked off the pitch on Friday evening. None other than Seanie Johnston persuaded him to go back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the Sunday game a couple of weeks back indeed mentioned that it was the last game there before re-development, but probably more meant the last definite game pending the draw for Qualifiers.

• Advertisement

Well there was no problem with Ruislip two weeks ago:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/0524/703402-london-roscommon/

Your list of questions is above. Still awaiting the responses with baited breath.

Things aren't going well in the Gaels. They are now bottom or near the bottom of Division 1A and Martin Dunne walked off the pitch on Friday evening. None other than Seanie Johnston persuaded him to go back on.

Jampip - I won't be answering your list of questions as they are irrelevant and just dragging the entire thread off topic. What I said earlier was that I done a quick google search - I even linked what I searched so I won't be posting a series of links.

Last word from this on me and I think we need to agree to disagree and apologies to other posters for my part in dragging the thread way off topic.

I. I don't believe that there is a huge anti-Hyland split in the county and I further believe that he has the full backing of the county board and the players - that's all that matters. The views of random keyboard warriors (myself included) are really irrelevant.

2. There are no-issues between players and management - i.e. there is not a shred of evidence to suggest that any player has left because of difficulties with the manager. There is one maybe but I think that player needs to have a good long look at himself and where his future in the game is and the issue (if any) he has is not with Hyland.

3. I think Hyland should continue to be the manager of the county team and when the time comes to replace him he should be from within the current structures. That doesn't mean that we couldn't benefit from outside help. I think it is unfair to say that Hyland has been in charge for 5/6 years. In my opinion he can only be judged on his time in sole charge of the team and that is since April 2012 when he was given the job. 2012 was a write off and he really didn't get much chance to impose his ways on the team in time for the championship and the messing with Val and the County Board/players didn't help. 2013 was a great year for Cavan. 2014 - we got promoted but between injuries and the Armagh game it was a huge anti-climax. 2015 - Decent league, a good showing against one of the Top 5 sides in the country (with a clear change in the emphasis of the play) and now a good draw and a good chance of a decent run through the backdoor. I think talk of getting rid of Hyland are very very premature - Cavan football is in great health and we are one or two decent forwards away from a seriously good chance of an Ulster title.

Just because I think Terry is the right man doesn't mean we can't criticise certain things he does/doesn't do but to suggest the hurlers on the ditch would make better managers because they see things different is absurd in my view. On the Argue one - the rationale for leaving him inside was obvious and he was close to getting a goal near the end with the fist (Something he has done in a few matches of late) - would Terry have been a tactical genius then??

On Ruislip, i thought I had read that their was work starting there after the Roscommon game - could be wrong on that.

Not sure what the story is with the gaels at the minute but there are clearly issues there - as much as I emjoy bashing the gaels it's not good to see.

Not wanting to count chickens or anything but if we beat London our next opponents are likely to be either:

Fermanagh, Clare, Sligo or winner of Laois/Kildare replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Jampip - I won't be answering your list of questions as they are irrelevant and just dragging the entire thread off topic. What I said earlier was that I done a quick google search - I even linked what I searched so I won't be posting a series of links.

Last word from this on me and I think we need to agree to disagree and apologies to other posters for my part in dragging the thread way off topic.

I. I don't believe that there is a huge anti-Hyland split in the county and I further believe that he has the full backing of the county board and the players - that's all that matters. The views of random keyboard warriors (myself included) are really irrelevant.

2. There are no-issues between players and management - i.e. there is not a shred of evidence to suggest that any player has left because of difficulties with the manager. There is one maybe but I think that player needs to have a good long look at himself and where his future in the game is and the issue (if any) he has is not with Hyland.

3. I think Hyland should continue to be the manager of the county team and when the time comes to replace him he should be from within the current structures. That doesn't mean that we couldn't benefit from outside help. I think it is unfair to say that Hyland has been in charge for 5/6 years. In my opinion he can only be judged on his time in sole charge of the team and that is since April 2012 when he was given the job. 2012 was a write off and he really didn't get much chance to impose his ways on the team in time for the championship and the messing with Val and the County Board/players didn't help. 2013 was a great year for Cavan. 2014 - we got promoted but between injuries and the Armagh game it was a huge anti-climax. 2015 - Decent league, a good showing against one of the Top 5 sides in the country (with a clear change in the emphasis of the play) and now a good draw and a good chance of a decent run through the backdoor. I think talk of getting rid of Hyland are very very premature - Cavan football is in great health and we are one or two decent forwards away from a seriously good chance of an Ulster title.

Just because I think Terry is the right man doesn't mean we can't criticise certain things he does/doesn't do but to suggest the hurlers on the ditch would make better managers because they see things different is absurd in my view. On the Argue one - the rationale for leaving him inside was obvious and he was close to getting a goal near the end with the fist (Something he has done in a few matches of late) - would Terry have been a tactical genius then??

On Ruislip, i thought I had read that their was work starting there after the Roscommon game - could be wrong on that.

Not sure what the story is with the gaels at the minute but there are clearly issues there - as much as I emjoy bashing the gaels it's not good to see.

Judge the Gaels come the championship. Most of the winning championship team havn't played this year yet. They have lost a few to retirement and emigration from last year Chesty, Lyng,Johnston Paul Graham, Fortune have to come into the team. Heard Marc Leddy could be back as well. Dom Corrigan has only taken over is, he had only one session with them prior to the Lavey match

Judge the Gaels come the championship. Most of the winning championship team havn't played this year yet. They have lost a few to retirement and emigration from last year Chesty, Lyng,Johnston Paul Graham, Fortune have to come into the team. Heard Marc Leddy could be back as well. Dom Corrigan has only taken over is, he had only one session with them prior to the Lavey match

I'd never write the gaels off and no matter what they will be favourites for the championship but if the story about one of the Gaels senior players walking off the pitch is true, all is not rosey in the garden. Dom Corrigan is a good appointment btw - good football man.

I'd never write the gaels off and no matter what they will be favourites for the championship but if the story about one of the Gaels senior players walking off the pitch is true, all is not rosey in the garden. Dom Corrigan is a good appointment btw - good football man.

It is true. I was told it this morning by a work colleague and confirmed it with two clubmen from the Gaels that were at the game.

Cormac Nelligan, a selector with the Gaels, shouted something at Dunne and he walked off the pitch. Seanie Johnston got him to go back on but he didn't make much of an effort for the rest of the game.

• Advertisement

That's a very weak response Tom. This is a thread titled "The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread" and we are discussing problems with Cavan senior management. How you can try to claim its irrelevant or dragging the thread off-topic is ridiculous. If you don't have the answers, come out and say it. It'd look better than that piss-poor response.

It's not just the keyboard warriors that are talking though. We played three home League games and there were less than 2,000 Cavan supporters at each. A championship game against Monaghan in Breffni and we were outnumbered by their support. We were also outnumbered against Roscommon last year. Why aren't supporters attending games now?

Argue was nowhere near scoring. We were lucky to get a 45 from that fisted effort and it was yards away from target. That was nowhere near a goal.

Nobody mentioned getting rid of Hyland either. What I mentioned is that he has, I'm told, decided this will be his last season and I've no problem with that because he's brought this panel as far as he can IMO.

He should be commended for it but the first part of rebuilding a team is making them difficult to beat and he has done that. I just don't think he has the tactical knowledge to bring us to the next level now and push the team on.

I think in Cavan we need to move on and realise we have a better team now than the noughties. You describe the League as "decent". I'll be honest, I would have been happy with staying in Division 2 when it started. Following our results though, we threw promotion away. We had 3 points from two away games and were going into home games against Down and a Kildare team that didn't beat anyone else in the Division. Roscommon were promoted and I still believe they are no better than us.

We have some very accomplished players. Take Rory Dunne for example. Man of the Match against Kerry two years ago. Marked Sean Cavanagh in the McKenna Final and didn't look out of place. With players like him, James McEnroe, McKiernan, Killian Clarke, Cian Mackey and Martin Reilly, we have the nucleus of a very good team. It's about time we stopped expecting so little and asked for a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Jampip, good post but just a couple of things; against Kildare we were a man down and Killian Clarke down for a long period of the game so let's not deliberately leave out a hugely relevant point like that.

If we were outnumbered by the Monaghan support, it was only just. That still leaves about 8,500 - 9,000 Cavan fans at the game which is probably the same number that attended the Armagh game two years ealier.

GAA fans are very fickle and no more so. We're lauded as being great but we love a good bandwagon (present company excepted of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

One of the biggest bandwagon in the country.

It is true. I was told it this morning by a work colleague and confirmed it with two clubmen from the Gaels that were at the game.

Cormac Nelligan, a selector with the Gaels, shouted something at Dunne and he walked off the pitch. Seanie Johnston got him to go back on but he didn't make much of an effort for the rest of the game.

I wasn't doubting you Jampip - I heard it from someone else earlier too.

Jampip, good post but just a couple of things; against Kildare we were a man down and Killian Clarke down for a long period of the game so let's not deliberately leave out a hugely relevant point like that.

If we were outnumbered by the Monaghan support, it was only just. That still leaves about 8,500 - 9,000 Cavan fans at the game which is probably the same number that attended the Armagh game two years ealier.

GAA fans are very fickle and no more so. We're lauded as being great but we love a good bandwagon (present company excepted of course).

I don't see how that is relevant. We were down a man because of indiscipline. The exact same thing happened two years ago and we lost to an inferior team because of it so it shouldn't have happened again. In fact, that it happened again should count against management. Against Down,the week before, at least you could say Flanagan should never have been sent off and that was unlucky. Against Kildare, they came up to our own pitch, bullied us for the entire game and we were the idiots that ended up with 14 men. It was a carbon copy of the Fermanagh league game two years ago. If that can't be levelled against management, what can be? Players should be learning and developing. We were also stupid enough to allow a goal to be scored directly after Gilly had made a good save from a penalty.

Attendances have been poor and I don't see how that can be disputed. The weather was terrible for a number of the league games but 2,000 people turning up to home games is paltry.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

The game in London is confirmed for the 20th in Ruislip, at 2pm folks.

I don't see how that is relevant. We were down a man because of indiscipline. The exact same thing happened two years ago and we lost to an inferior team because of it so it shouldn't have happened again. In fact, that it happened again should count against management. Against Down,the week before, at least you could say Flanagan should never have been sent off and that was unlucky. Against Kildare, they came up to our own pitch, bullied us for the entire game and we were the idiots that ended up with 14 men. It was a carbon copy of the Fermanagh league game two years ago. If that can't be levelled against management, what can be? Players should be learning and developing. We were also stupid enough to allow a goal to be scored directly after Gilly had made a good save from a penalty.

Attendances have been poor and I don't see how that can be disputed. The weather was terrible for a number of the league games but 2,000 people turning up to home games is paltry.
    Fair enough you could point the finger at management for a player being sent off. I'd point it at the player.

My point was that you said we lost to a team that hadn't won a game. To omit the fact that we played with a man less, regardless of whose fault it was, is to omit a a very significant detail.

Are attendances down? I don't know. Compared to when? My point is that roughly the same number of Cavan people watched us play two years ago in the first round of the championship and that attendances will likely pick up should we go on a run which is very possible.

We played a defensive system in 2013 and nobody was too bothered about it because we had two trips to Croke Park.

We were down a man because of indiscipline. The exact same thing happened two years ago and we lost to an inferior team because of it so it shouldn't have happened again. In fact, that it happened again should count against management. .

I have heard it all now.

celt262 wrote: »
    I have heard it all now.

So you don't think the team should be evolving that we don't let an inferior side come to our own home pitch and bully us? As I said earlier, we need to stop being so naive and get a bit of cop on.

Kildare come down to Breffni, engage in off-the-ball high jinks for the entire match yet we are the ones who end up with 14 men. The exact same happened 2 years ago against Fermanagh and our players should be wise to it now.

Fair enough you could point the finger at management for a player being sent off. I'd point it at the player.

My point was that you said we lost to a team that hadn't won a game. To omit the fact that we played with a man less, regardless of whose fault it was, is to omit a a very significant detail.

Are attendances down? I don't know. Compared to when? My point is that roughly the same number of Cavan people watched us play two years ago in the first round of the championship and that attendances will likely pick up should we go on a run which is very possible.

We played a defensive system in 2013 and nobody was too bothered about it because we had two trips to Croke Park.

It's up to management though to move this team on and they haven't. It was highly disappointing to see how naive we were against Kildare. Hyland has had years working with this team and, that evening, we looked no further on than we had two years before when we had allowed poor discipline to cost us a game that should have seen us push forward for promotion.

I don't see how I omitted anything. We lost to a team at home that every other team in the Division beat. That we were a man down is our own fault, be it the management or player that are blamed. Kildare or the rest of the Division didn't force us to play with 14 men. It was a situation of our own making so is totally irrelevant to be honest.

I don't have statistics for attendances two years ago at the Armagh game. In all fairness though, we've now moved up to Division 2 and are playing against a better calibre of opposition, more people should be coming to see the games, not less or the same. 2,000 supporters at home games against teams like Down and Kildare, who would be seen as bigger sides compared to what we played in Division 3, is very poor.

Anyway, I'd hope to see a few fringe players get a run against London. It'd be good to see our big full forward joined by someone like Jack Brady, who is playing well for Ramor, inside. I'd also like to see Killian Clarke at midfield but I don't think it will happen.

• Advertisement

It's up to management though to move this team on and they haven't. It was highly disappointing to see how naive we were against Kildare. Hyland has had years working with this team and, that evening, we looked no further on than we had two years before when we had allowed poor discipline to cost us a game that should have seen us push forward for promotion.

I don't have statistics for attendances two years ago at the Armagh game. In all fairness though, we've now moved up to Division 2 and are playing against a better calibre of opposition, more people should be coming to see the games, not less or the same.

2,000 supporters at home games against teams like Down and Kildare, who would be seen as bigger sides compared to what we played in Division 3, is very poor.

Anyway, I'd hope to see a few fringe players get a run against London. It'd be good to see our big full forward joined by someone like Jack Brady, who is playing well for Ramor, inside. I'd also like to see Killian Clarke at midfield but I don't think it will happen.
    I agree to an extent.

The same player was sent off on both occasions and believe me, it drove me mad. Strictly speaking the manger is accountable but the player is the one that disappointed me.

I don't agree with you about the performance against Kildare. I thought we battled gamely but when you're down a man for so long it's very difficult and we were hardly "stupid enough" to concede a goal. It's not like they did it intentionally.

A lot of the attendances being down is because of the style of football. There's a generation gap where people over the age of 50 want to see the old style football of the 1980s. I don't subscribe to this. Each manager uses his players as he sees best. Cavan have a glaring lack of forwards and so they play accordingly. Everyone agrees that we should be progressing and I think we are albeit very slowly.

If people want to see attacking football where we lose heavily then I respectfully disagree and don't care. If that brings attendances down then I don't care about that either.

One of the biggest things that Hyland has improved since he took over the Cavan team is discipline. In previous years it was more of a surprise when Cavan finished with 15 men so to criticise him for lack of discipline is extraordinary.

In the championship since Terry Hyland took over we have had one player sent off in 14 games and that was Martin Reilly for a second yellow v Fermanagh ( a team that were sent out to get in our faces). That is some turn around from the indiscipline that destroyed us before. Damien O'Reilly is prone to the odd brain fart (the kick v Fermanagh in particular was wreckless) and yes he could have been let go from the panel because of that but has a lot to offer and has calmed down since he was made vice-captain and offers more positive than negative.

Before Hyland took over our disciplinary record was shocking.

in 2011 we played 2 games and had Ray Cullivan sent off for a stupid challenge that ended any chance we had, 2 sent off against Longford.

In 2010 we had Mulvey and Corr sent off v Wicklow and Nesty Smith v Cork so 3 in 3 games!

I can't remember any reds in 2009 against Wicklow, Fermanagh or Antrim.

I recall Mickey Lyng getting sent off early against Down which again cost us a tight game - think that was 2007 or 2008 and that's as far as my memory goes but the point remains is that our discipline has improved hugely since Hyland took over and the stats back that up.

So you don't think the team should be evolving that we don't let an inferior side come to our own home pitch and bully us? As I said earlier, we need to stop being so naive and get a bit of cop on.

Kildare come down to Breffni, engage in off-the-ball high jinks for the entire match yet we are the ones who end up with 14 men. The exact same happened 2 years ago against Fermanagh and our players should be wise to it now.

It's not the managements fault if a certain player has a short fuse and is easily wound up.

As for the Kildare game they should have ended up with 14 men or less if the linesmen and umpires had of been competent - Is that managements fault aswell?

It's not the managements fault if a certain player has a short fuse and is easily wound up.

As for the Kildare game they should have ended up with 14 men or less if the linesmen and umpires had of been competent - Is that managements fault aswell

Who picks the team? If management take the chance of playing "a certain player" that "has a short fuse and is easily wound up" then they have to take the blame when he lives up to that reputation.

Particularly when said player was being selected at the time ahead of more than capable replacements like Joshua Hayes.

Re the referee and linesmen, we must have the worst officials in every game. Sure the ref lost us the Monaghan game with "easy frees". It's about time we stopped making convenient excuses. Every team has to deal with poor officials.

Who picks the team? If management take the chance of playing "a certain player" that "has a short fuse and is easily wound up" then they have to take the blame when he lives up to that reputation.

Particularly when said player was being selected at the time ahead of more than capable replacements like Joshua Hayes.

Re the referee and linesmen, we must have the worst officials in every game. Sure the ref lost us the Monaghan game with "easy frees". It's about time we stopped making convenient excuses. Every team has to deal with poor officials.

It's the players responsibility to behave on the field the manger does not send them out to get sent off nor does a player go out to get sent off. If you were managing a team would you say at start of year who here has been sent off before and then send anyone who has out the door not to return?

So you think that Kildare deserved to finish the game with 14 men?

It's the players responsibility to behave on the field the manger does not send them out to get sent off nor does a player go out to get sent off. If you were managing a team would you say at start of year who here has been sent off before and then send anyone who has out the door not to return?

So you think that Kildare deserved to finish the game with 14 men?

It's the manager's responsibility to have trust in his players and ensure they know not to fall into traps set by other teams. Damien Reilly had fallen into that exact trap two years ago against Fermanagh. He was then made vice captain of the team by Hyland and, by extension, captain for a period when Alan Clarke left the panel. As an experienced member of the panel, he should be setting an example and he should know that we are playing a system whereby it is vital we don't have men sent off.

Just like players don't set out to get sent off, they should also set out not to be tricked into stupid moves by opponents. Like it or lump it, it's a part of the GAA now. Players try to get opponent's sent off and Reilly fell for it. As for the point re me being a manager, I've already said that our players are poorly advised when it comes to the 'dark arts' of Ulster football as I'd call them. Something needs to be done to try and coach them in this regard. We're too nice in Cavan and that doesn't look like changing.

Kildare were niggling the whole game, I'm not disputing that. They had a man who punched Gearoid iirc who should have gone as well but they had the same referee as we did. They bullied us throughout the entire match. Our lads allowed it to happen like they did two years ago against Fermanagh. We don't have the physical edge of other teams and we're naïve when we try to adopt it. We had more men sent off in the league than we scored goals. That says something to me.

One of the biggest things that Hyland has improved since he took over the Cavan team is discipline. In previous years it was more of a surprise when Cavan finished with 15 men so to criticise him for lack of discipline is extraordinary.

In the championship since Terry Hyland took over we have had one player sent off in 14 games and that was Martin Reilly for a second yellow v Fermanagh ( a team that were sent out to get in our faces). That is some turn around from the indiscipline that destroyed us before. Damien O'Reilly is prone to the odd brain fart (the kick v Fermanagh in particular was wreckless) and yes he could have been let go from the panel because of that but has a lot to offer and has calmed down since he was made vice-captain and offers more positive than negative.

Before Hyland took over our disciplinary record was shocking.

in 2011 we played 2 games and had Ray Cullivan sent off for a stupid challenge that ended any chance we had, 2 sent off against Longford.

In 2010 we had Mulvey and Corr sent off v Wicklow and Nesty Smith v Cork so 3 in 3 games!

I can't remember any reds in 2009 against Wicklow, Fermanagh or Antrim.

I recall Mickey Lyng getting sent off early against Down which again cost us a tight game - think that was 2007 or 2008 and that's as far as my memory goes but the point remains is that our discipline has improved hugely since Hyland took over and the stats back that up.

Yet again you are late to jump in and have got things incorrect. Who criticised Hyland for poor discipline? What I said is that the team haven't evolved enough in terms of being coached to stand up to sides and not be naive to fall into traps like Reilly did.

Fwiw, you could actually say our discipline was poor against Monaghan. No man sent off but three yellow cards in the first half. How many did Monaghan get?

I agree to an extent.

The same player was sent off on both occasions and believe me, it drove me mad. Strictly speaking the manger is accountable but the player is the one that disappointed me.

I don't agree with you about the performance against Kildare. I thought we battled gamely but when you're down a man for so long it's very difficult and we were hardly "stupid enough" to concede a goal. It's not like they did it intentionally.

A lot of the attendances being down is because of the style of football. There's a generation gap where people over the age of 50 want to see the old style football of the 1980s. I don't subscribe to this. Each manager uses his players as he sees best. Cavan have a glaring lack of forwards and so they play accordingly. Everyone agrees that we should be progressing and I think we are albeit very slowly.

If people want to see attacking football where we lose heavily then I respectfully disagree and don't care. If that brings attendances down then I don't care about that either.

I thought that, as against Down, we struggled to get scores on the board against Kildare. They made scoring look effortless at times compared to us as we huffed and puffed to get scores. Re "stupid enough" to concede the goal, iirc the ball should have been cleared and we had more than one opportunity to clear it but it was fumbled.

Do we have a lack of forwards? I think we do in the full forward line but our half forward line of Mackey, Reilly and Dara Mc is strong. In the full forward line, we had Keating last year who plays for Ulster for example but the ball wasn't played into him.

I don't think anyone expects us to go gung ho but there's a happy medium. Hyland doesn't evolve. Last season showed him he has to change as we were easily figured out by Armagh but the change is slow and gradual, again going back to his lack of tactical knowledge IMO.

As a sidenote, the phrase "marquee forward" must be going to enter the dictionary this year. I don't think I've ever heard it trundled out as much as now. What people neglect to realise is that we had a "marquee forward" playing last year but we wouldn't pass the ball into him. He made damn all difference last year but now every time we lose a game it's because we haven't a "marquee forward" like Conor McManus. For god's sake, how many teams have forwards like Conor McManus? It's laughable but its another example of how local media are supporting our management.

It's the manager's responsibility to have trust in his players and ensure they know not to fall into traps set by other teams. Damien Reilly had fallen into that exact trap two years ago against Fermanagh. He was then made vice captain of the team by Hyland and, by extension, captain for a period when Alan Clarke left the panel. As an experienced member of the panel, he should be setting an example and he should know that we are playing a system whereby it is vital we don't have men sent off.

Just like players don't set out to get sent off, they should also set out not to be tricked into stupid moves by opponents. Like it or lump it, it's a part of the GAA now. Players try to get opponent's sent off and Reilly fell for it. As for the point re me being a manager, I've already said that our players are poorly advised when it comes to the 'dark arts' of Ulster football as I'd call them. Something needs to be done to try and coach them in this regard. We're too nice in Cavan and that doesn't look like changing.

Kildare were niggling the whole game, I'm not disputing that. They had a man who punched Gearoid iirc who should have gone as well but they had the same referee as we did. They bullied us throughout the entire match. Our lads allowed it to happen like they did two years ago against Fermanagh. We don't have the physical edge of other teams and we're naïve when we try to adopt it. We had more men sent off in the league than we scored goals. That says something to me.

I'm sure the Manager has trust in the player and would have spoken to him about doing silly things which end up in Red Cards. It's not that we can assign players to the trash bin after getting sent off.

Do you think that whoever could be brought in to coach the "dark arts" of Ulster football could take a duel role and also coach them in cheating to win frees?

• Advertisement

We were down a man because of indiscipline. The exact same thing happened two years ago and we lost to an inferior team because of it so it shouldn't have happened again. In fact, that it happened again should count against management. Against Down,the week before, at least you could say Flanagan should never have been sent off and that was unlucky. Against Kildare, they came up to our own pitch, bullied us for the entire game and we were the idiots that ended up with 14 men. It was a carbon copy of the Fermanagh league game two years ago. If that can't be levelled against management, what can be?
    Yet again you are late to jump in and have got things incorrect. Who criticised Hyland for poor discipline?

Seriously??

Advertisement