Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Almost half time 11-2 now. Mackey on for Clarke earlier, is it Clarkes hamstring again?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Looks like Rory Dunne has broken his ankle or something. Awful news for Cavan and Rory...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Looks like Rory Dunne has broken his ankle or something. Awful news for Cavan and Rory...

Injuries to him and Clarke is terrible news.

Jampip wrote: »
    Injuries to him and Clarke is terrible news.

Yeah, really bad. We don't have a strong enough panel to replace those Lads.

Cavan ladies have lost the Ulster quarter final by a point aet to tyrone.

1-3 for McKiernan in the last few minutes operating between full and centre half forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

Dreadful news about Rory dunne. That'll be him For the year, hope he recovers well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

willabur wrote: »
    Dreadful news about Rory dunne. That'll be him For the year, hope he recovers well

Any word on how serious it is?

Massive loss & heartbreak for him.

Fingers crossed he recovers as quickly as possible & returns to his very best

Is it hamstring again for Clarke?

Setting aside the blow to the team, I'm gutted for Rory Dunne on a personal level. The journey he made back from injuries as a youngster was pretty incredible. I've probably said it before on here but I remember seeing him getting roasted by a part time Junior B footballer in a reserve game a few years back when he was just making his return. A few years later he was MOTM in Croke Park marking Kieran Donaghy. I've heard it's possibly a dislocated ankle which would be possibly worse than a break depending on severity. He's dominated and owned a position which nearly every other Cavan player used in that position in the past decade or so failed to do. Sincerely hope he gets a touch of luck with whatever the injury is and I'm sure every Cavan supporter is wishing him well and hoping to see him back in the 3 jersey as soon as possible.

Can we be drawn against Roscommon next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well put KTF. Hope Rory makes a full and quick recovery. Has been a class act at full back for us after all his injuries.

Not sure what the problem that Killian Clarke has but a worry too.

Good result today but a big price to pay. Have never been so deflated after a Cavan win. Can see us getting Roscommon in the next round.

Hopefully the minors do the business tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

A very costly win today. Wishing Rory Dunne a speedy recovery. I've been in that situation and its a lonely place but hopefully he'll come back stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

cavan4sam wrote: »
    A very costly win today. Wishing Rory Dunne a speedy recovery. I've been in that situation and its a lonely place but hopefully he'll come back stronger.

I'm gutted for him- he's such a presence & you'd know he's seriously regarded outside the county. Fingers crossed whatever his injury is that he's back as soon as possible & back to his best

I hate to say it, but sometimes an injury like this to such a charismatic player galvanizes the panel. I hope that they go out & build on today.

It's not a facile win by any means, as far as i can see. Sure, we were expected to win- but that's the 1st time in a while that we've acted like a proper big team swatting aside a smaller team.

I'm gutted for him- he's such a presence & you'd know he's seriously regarded outside the county. Fingers crossed whatever his injury is that he's back as soon as possible & back to his best

I hate to say it, but sometimes an injury like this to such a charismatic player galvanizes the panel. I hope that they go out & build on today.

It's not a facile win by any means, as far as i can see. Sure, we were expected to win- but that's the 1st time in a while that we've acted like a proper big team swatting aside a smaller team.

Well said. 2-22 is a fantastic score in any game, no matter the opposition. I don't think many teams have put up a score like that over the years in Ruislip.

It's such a pity Dunne is gone though and I can't see Clarke featuring again considering how quick the games will come.

Will be interesting to read the match report in the Celt. I only heard bits on the radio as I had a few things to attend yesterday but noted the first move of the game, only a couple of seconds in it seemed, was for Argue and a McKiernan to swap with Gearoid going into FF. Then a few minutes later they had swapped back again according to NS.

Did this continue throughout the game? Later when I listened again Gearoid was said to be operating between centre half forward and FF and scored 1-3 in a matter of minutes.

I was surprised to hear Niall Murray was playing as centre half back. He appeared to be struggling with Gottsche who sounded like a decent player.

Our side of the draw just got a lot tougher with the Rossies entering the pot. We're now looking at Fermanagh, Clare, Kildare or Roscommon. Kildare don't play Dublin until next week so I imagine our game will be in two weeks unless we draw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

I'd say Clarke will be fine. He was walking around amongst the subs for the rest of the game. No ice on his leg or anything like that.

Disaster for Dunne if the reports are correct.

London were woeful but a win's a win and with the Rossies and Kildare likely opponents there are scores to settle.

I'd say Clarke will be fine. He was walking around amongst the subs for the rest of the game. No ice on his leg or anything like that.

Disaster for Dunne if the reports are correct.

London were woeful but a win's a win and with the Rossies and Kildare likely opponents there are scores to settle.

A later NS report mentioned him limping a bit when walking off the pitch though?

Plus there's always a score to settle with Fermanagh or Monaghan!

I'd still love to draw Clare in Breffni. Would love to go to a game in Breffni where we're confident of comfortably beating a team.

I'd imagine McEnroe will now deputise at full back. He went back there yesterday and played a few League games in the position in 2013.

A later NS report mentioned him limping a bit when walking off the pitch though?

Plus there's always a score to settle with Fermanagh or Monaghan!

I'd still love to draw Clare in Breffni. Would love to go to a game in Breffni where we're confident of comfortably beating a team.

I'd imagine McEnroe will now deputise at full back. He went back there yesterday and played a few League games in the position in 2013.

Possibly. I actually missed the incident but he seemed grand afterwards. I'd guess that it was a precaution given what has gone before.

Great call on Mackey btw. Him being dropped along with Dunne was probably something that both could have done with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

For the next day I would like to see Mackey held back until around 45 or 50 minute mark.

I also thing big gearoid should be played closer to goal.

The northern sound commentary was so awful that it really was impossible to figure out what was happening. They missed so many things it was funny.

Mackey not starting seems to be an indication that he will be used from the bench for the rest of the championship.

Nothing that can be relied on but the news on Killian Clarke seems to be a bit more positive and it appears that he won't be out too long.

Is draw on radio again in the morning?

Heading into minor game soon hoping for a good result.

Won't make the Minor game today lads, a few post match analyses would be much appreciated!

It would be a blow for the lads to lose to Antrim. Win today and we're guaranteed two more outings at least. Best of luck to them!

celt262 wrote: »
    For the next day I would like to see Mackey held back until around 45 or 50 minute mark.

I also thing big gearoid should be played closer to goal.

So in other words you agree fully with the ideas I've said for the past two weeks that were labelled "mad" on here?

• Advertisement

Possibly. I actually missed the incident but he seemed grand afterwards. I'd guess that it was a precaution given what has gone before.

Great call on Mackey btw. Him being dropped along with Dunne was probably something that both could have done with.

I don't know about Dunne or what the plan is tbh. I thought yesterday would have been a good day for him to notch up a big score and get his confidence up.

He's not going well at club level at the minute though so you can't blame Terry for resisting the urge to start or bring him on.

It's such a pity that the injury to Rory has left a black mark over a terrific result. Yes, it was London but 2-22 is a fantastic score as I've said already.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    The northern sound commentary was so awful that it really was impossible to figure out what was happening. They missed so many things it was funny.

Mackey not starting seems to be an indication that he will be used from the bench for the rest of the championship.

Nothing that can be relied on but the news on Killian Clarke seems to be a bit more positive and it appears that he won't be out too long.

Is draw on radio again in the morning?

Heading into minor game soon hoping for a good result.

Are you sure Gilly hasn't walked Tom? Farrelly was backup 'keeper yesterday so it seems strange that Gilsenan has gone from 1st choice in the League to third.

The person told me he had walked is a reliable source for info like that.

According to mylestheslasher Dunne was not a selected on match day panel.

Jampip, bear in mind that in the last ten minutes of the game that Cavan walked through at will and missed a few more goal chances. Great score but context definitely needed.

I think Celt262 might be posting in jest by the way. A back-handed compliment I'm sure.

Are you sure Gilly hasn't walked Tom? Farrelly was backup 'keeper yesterday so it seems strange that Gilsenan has gone from 1st choice in the League to third.

I heard he was dropped couple days after Monaghan game.

Farrelly, Clarke, Bud Fitz and came in for Gilsenan, Hayes and Dunne. There may have been one more that I'm forgetting too.

Not a clue to be honest. Heard nothing one way or the other. A program from yesterday would answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Gilsenan wasnt names on the 26, neither was Martin Dunne. Dunne was there but I didnt see Gilsenan (it would be hard to miss him if he was there) Subs were...

James Farrelly
    Mark McKeever (came on)
    Paul Smith
    Barry Reilly
    Cian Mackey (came on)
    Josh Hayes
    James McEnroe (came on)
    Bud Fitz
    Killian Brady (came on)
    Conor Moynagh
    Enda Reilly (came on)

Gilsenan wasnt names on the 26, neither was Martin Dunne. Dunne was there but I didnt see Gilsenan (it would be hard to miss him if he was there) Subs were...

James Farrelly
    Mark McKeever (came on)
    Paul Smith
    Barry Reilly
    Cian Mackey (came on)
    Josh Hayes
    James McEnroe (came on)
    Bud Fitz
    Killian Brady (came on)
    Conor Moynagh
    Enda Reilly (came on)

It's hard to miss him alright. Tough one to take for him. First choice for so long and then dropped on the eve of championship and the watch Galligan have a stormer. But Galligan was away for most of the league on a pre planned holiday so couldn't have got much league game time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Tom Joad wrote: »
    It's hard to miss him alright. Tough one to take for him. First choice for so long and then dropped on the eve of championship and the watch Galligan have a stormer. But Galligan was away for most of the league on a pre planned holiday so couldn't have got much league game time anyway.

Tough to take but the best keeper available to us was in goal, no one should be entitled to a jersey and in fairness this is his first time being dropped. If he is gone off in a huff then he should grow a pair and get back into it and improve his game.

Advertisement