Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

the minors seem to be in a little bit of trouble , a lot of hit and hope shots according to northern sound , hoping for a better second half

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Cavan playing against a blanket defence and don't seem to have a plan for it. Going to be very hard to make up a 5 point deficit. Would take something big to win it from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

4 down at half time. Very nervy from Cavan and too many wides and loose passing and kicking. Struggling to overcome the blanket defence. We can't get the inside forwards into it.

Great 2nd half performance by cavan. They seemed to dig deep and once they got their noses in front they pushed on and closed the game out.
    They have the talent to win it now lets hope they have the belief

Great result really turned it around after half time and once they got ahead never looked like losing. Some great performances especially from David Brady - kicked some monster points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Not a clue to be honest. Heard nothing one way or the other. A program from yesterday would answer the question.

I ask as you previously stated:
    Yes I do refute it because as far as I'm aware the players are happy with the set-up (as evidence no players have left, including Gilly btw, despite the long lead in time to the qualifiers) which I think is fairly unique in our history.

I presumed you had info that he had remained and I had been informed incorrectly after that.

Looks like my source may indeed have been correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Gilsenan did indeed choose to leave the panel.

Good win yesterday but I wouldn't be too confident of a long run in the qualifiers with the injuries and lack of form from our forwards. Martin Dunne seems to have gone way down the pecking order and Niall McDermott doesnt get many scores from play usually.

SheldonC17 wrote: »

Good win yesterday but I wouldn't be too confident of a long run in the qualifiers with the injuries and lack of form from our forwards. Martin Dunne seems to have gone way down the pecking order and Niall McDermott doesnt get many scores from play usually.

The supposed mad man of the Cavan thread was right again! By god lads, I think a few of yas will be paying a big more attention to what I have to say. I know self praise is no praise but it appears I'm more clued in than all the geniuses on here put together ;)

Dunne isn't in form with problems at club level so there's not much that Terry can do about that.

NS were talking up Enda Reilly from
    Mullahoran yesterday so maybe he might be worth a shot. It's very late to be throwing untested lads like that into the fray but it is how we discovered Argue and Dara Mc two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

SheldonC17 wrote: »

From what I saw of the two televised league games against Down and Kildare I would be of the opinion that Dunne didn't deserve his place. Too easily put out of the game and doesn't like anything physical.

From what I saw of the two televised league games against Down and Kildare I would be of the opinion that Dunne didn't deserve his place. Too easily put out of the game and doesn't like anything physical.

I agree but put him up against a Division 3/4 team and he's more than capable of totting up a big score.

I'm fairness to him, he made a decent enough cameo against Monaghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

I was sad to see Enda Reilly come on ahead of Bud yesterday, Terry must like him but he's all left foot. It's tough in there for any forward to get a game. Seems to be fixed with Argue, McDermott(needed for frees) and then a third forward. I don't think this Argue in the full forward line will work. He was grand against Monaghan but I don't think he can kick points effectively enough to play there week in week out. It's an awful pity Givney and Keating packed it in for the year. Cavan can't afford to have lads like that at home on the scratcher. Desperate for Rory Dunne too. I remember wondering why we didn't try other lads at full back there the time of the McKenna cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Gilsenan hasn't quit (yet). Was talking to a relation of his.

Very impressed with the second half performance of the minors today. Plenty of teams would have let the heads drop after the first half but whatever was said at half time worked a treat and they came out like a different team.

It was so good to see a Cavan team come out and trust in themselves and each other to play there way out of trouble - they never panicked and kept doing the right things. Some fine footballers in the team - Gannon, both Brady's at midfield, Raythorne and Fitzpatrick in particular impressed me. The young Clarke lad who came on also done very well. Donegal/Derry in the final will likely be a level up again but today should give huge confidence to them in the way they dug it out. It should also keep their feet firmly on the ground but they now have two more games at least no matter what happens.

On the senior game, Monaghan looked good but i was disappointed with Fermanagh - I had seen them in the McKenna cup and was impressed by their workrate and organisation and they looked very fit. Had heard they were poor against Antrim and it was awful stuff but then Antrim pull off a great result yesterday so wasn't sure what to expect. On today's showing I certainly wouldn't fear getting them in the qualifiers.

Roscommon at home. I would have preferred to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Jampip wrote: »
    Roscommon at home. I would have preferred to avoid them.
    any other team in that draw,would have be a easy enough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

Roscommon are our bogey team. Pity we had to draw them of all teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

irish_man wrote: »
    Roscommon are our bogey team. Pity we had to draw them of all teams.

Its time that bus of theres was put into the garage for rest of year and we have the bucks to do it.

There Roscommon they have just lost to Sligo we will take them.

To be honest, we have to expect to be able to win this tie. I know Roscommon hammered us on our own patch last year but we were missing 7/8 regulars. The League final was a fair more accurate representation of the two teams and we kicked that game away when it was in the melting pot with 15 minutes to go with a succession of wides.

Terry appears to have learned from our Monaghan game and realised it’s a 20 man game. I think that holding McEnroe and Mackey from starting is a sign of this. I hope that he'll continue that learning now from the London game. Below are the reports of two people were at the game. One from Hogan Stand and the other from the Cavan thread on Gaaboard and is by mylestheslasher who also posted here:

Not sure about using Michael Argue as a target man. Perhaps he will grow in to the role but he probably needs to show the ball more , I don't think he won any clean ball though he did create the 2 goals. Mackey had a goal chance towards the end but it was blocked for a 45 which Ray Galligan converted.

Probably easier to pick the few negatives. Argue at FF had a hand in both goals but he just does not look natural under the high diagonal ball, flapping at them and seems to easy to knock of his stride - the few high balls that were put in were pretty poor too to be honest.

I've said it since the League but Argue isn't a full forward. He's needed in midfield and I'd move McKiernan onto the 40 or FF. The problem with McKiernan going to the 40 is that we're short a big FF but, tbh, there's still too much fitting players into positions because you don't want to make a difficult decision and drop someone e.g. Niall Murray at centre half back, Feargal Flanagan at corner back.

Roscommon will be favourites, and rightly so, but this is a game we have to win if we want to try and say Terry Hyland should stay on (incidentally, I still believe that he'll be walking himself but this is a big test of how far he has brought this team).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

fair enough comment, would have preferred to meet roscommon later but its about time we beat a quality team in the championship. Those kind of wins have been very rare in the last decade

Terry needs this win, he has put in a serious amount of work with this team and has along with others genuinely brought us back from the brink. If Cavan do win this game then I think it should go along way to quietening down the doubters

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

willabur wrote: »
    fair enough comment, would have preferred to meet roscommon later but its about time we beat a quality team in the championship. Those kind of wins have been very rare in the last decade

Terry needs this win, he has put in a serious amount of work with this team and has along with others genuinely brought us back from the brink. If Cavan do win this game then I think it should go along way to quietening down the doubters
    Agreed. No doubt there'd be some lads on Hoganstand that would call Terry up on not winning the All-Ireland final with enough class but we need to beat someone of worth to progress.

Just like Derry in 2013, a win here would set us up nicely. Win this and you're playing one of the other three winners from the group, all of whom are likely to be weaker than Roscommon.

• Advertisement

That's it exactly. From 3 sole years in charge, we have only beaten Armagh and Derry who were of a Division above us so its time for the team to stand up and be counted.

As Celt262 has said, I do believe we have the players to do it. We're every bit as good as Roscommon but we need to get the team functioning so that they can score.

1-6 for McKiernan at the weekend means he has to start in a role further forward. I'd be putting him on the 40 and he could drop back and help Corr and Argue at midfield.

If Argue is persisted with at FF, I'd be going with Reilly and Corr at midfield. I can't see Clarke making the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I think now is the best time to play them. They would have had their sights on having a decent crack at Mayo & possibly a provincial title. I'd prefer to take them on after a win (albeit against poor opposition) where we put somoene to the sword.

I wouldn't take much stock about last year's game (and I've tried very hard to try and forget it).

i was in markievicz park on saturday evening with friends and have to say after seein what roscommon had to offer i dont think we should fear them , as the sunday game last night pointed out sligo won the battle of the wits by using clever ball
    their off the ball movement was much superior to Roscommons and quick ball into the full forward who is also a big man paid huge dividends
    i felt the referee was questioned last night on the sunday game but in reality he gave more questionable frees to roscommon

kilbride was terrible but i dont expect the same 2 games in a row
    the murtagh brothers were tightly marshalled and i'd expect us to be able to hold them
    sligo were much more clever when it came to kick outs albeit playing a dangerous game with short kickouts

Roscommon looked a tired team to me and looked to lack confidence ,
    the question is have we enough confidence to beat them

this is one game where i think Argue in full forward could pay huge dividends for us if we can get someone to feed off him

we owe them 2 from last year now its payback time

I heard Martin Dunne has walked. Not sure if any truth to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

When will this match be played?

tanko wrote: »
    When will this match be played?

4th of July

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

At first I was cursing our luck getting Roscommon but on reflection, I think this is a good draw. We won't learn anything about the team from games against London or Clare.
    I'd expect a backlash from Roscommon for sure, and they are a dangerous side once they get a run on you. However, they're not in a great place at the moment and are perhaps suffering a little after a great League like we did last year. Their U21s have played a lot of football in 2015. They haven't been going well and were beaten comprehensively in their last two challenge games.
    They came to Breffni and embarrassed us last year but we'll be a different animal come July 4th both in terms of tactics and personnel.

I'd hope Argue is left at FF. People say he doesn't look natural and I'd agree, but we don't have a natural full forward and if you're going to shoehorn someone in there it's as well be someone that will cause problems for defenders and if nothing else, 6'7" takes watching. Scores are coming from his presence in the FF line and we're racking up nice scores with him in there. So I say stick at it.

Game confirmed for 5 on Saturday the 4th. I see an RTE symbol beside it so it must be televised

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I wonder is there any chance that Killian Clarke will be fit for the Roscommon game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I think Clarke will be ok to play. Like I said before he went off but was lying on the grass with the rest of the subs with no ice or treatment. My guess is he felt a twinge and came off as a precaution. Definitely need him playing. Paddypower has Ros 10/11, Cavan 11/10 so not much in it according to the boys in the know.

Advertisement